Extra calories but not hungry?!

Options
I've been a bit confused recently, my daily calorie goal is 1200 but the past few weeks, I've been eating under most days yet I haven't felt hungry. For example, I've just had dinner and I'm not hungry any more but I've got 600cals remaining. I don't want to just eat for the sake of eating because I find that starts bad habits.
Is there a reason for this? Has anyone else felt like this? Any advice?

Replies

• brennamurphy42
    Options
    I've been struggling with this too! My calorie goal is also 1200 and I've also been eating under most days. Like today, I burned 560 calories working out, ate 1448 calories, and so had 888 net calories. I even had a snack later in the day that I normally wouldn't have eaten today and I ate three good-sized meals. It's driving me crazy, because I definitely need to eat more, but I'm not hungry and I don't feel like I need more food.
    Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I would appreciate any tips from other people too!
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I never eat all my calories and I never eat back my exercise calories...I usually net between 650 and 850
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    So don't eat. You should maybe try to spread them out more during the day but otherwise it's your call. If you're not hungry don't eat.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't have all my cals in for the day. It's after 10pm I'm not hungry but doing a calorie reset, need 300 more . Yuck! I suppose I'll go scramble a few eggs:(
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under 1200, boost it. You're not hungry because your body gets used to eating so little.

Anything netting over 1200 is okay though.
  • sarar_smiles
    Options
    It's true you shouldn't stuff yourself. As long as you're not consistently a lot under your calories, a day or two where you're a lot under isn't going to hurt you. However, if you're at the point where you're constantly under calories by a lot (like, if you're only netting about 700-900 calories) then your body has probably adjusted to your eating habits and thus is not hungry as often. That's not good. If that's the case, try gradually eating more, or eating high-calorie stuff, such as nuts or the like, in place of lower-calorie snacks.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Since I can't see your diary, I am going to make some generalized suggestions. One is portion control - if you are eating big meals, then that can explain why you are not hungry. Try spreading out your meals to 300 calories every 3 hours. If you eat 5 times a day, that puts you at 1500.

The other item could be the food you are eating. Are you eating foods that are heavy and hard to digest?

My last suggestion would be for you to not eat below 1200 net calories. You are depriving your body of fuel it needs to function.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is my issue at least 3 times a week. I try to drink a glass of milk or eat some nuts. But yeah, there's many times where I feel satisfied and am still way under what's considered a proper calorie goal
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    At least eat 1200. Stop there if you like. Eat more if you need/want it for hunger, energy, nutrition. But yes, your body can get used to undereating and not feel the hunger.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think hunger is a very good guide for many of us - when you've been overeating or undereating or yo-yo dieting for years, I don't think our poor bodies have a clue as to what they actually need. I think it is easy to get into the mindset that "less calories are better" and to forget that calories are energy, the fuel that our bodies use to keep us alive and feeling great.

My opinion is that it's a good idea to eat around what MFP has recommended -this way you know you are giving your body a good amount of energy and nutrition to stay healthy while you lose weight.

This doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself at every meal, but it is easy to add a few more heatlhy calories with things like nuts, avocado, olive oil, cheese, bananas, red meat, salmon, full fat yoghurt etc.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Can I have your extra calories :)
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    I don't think hunger is a very good guide for many of us - when you've been overeating or undereating or yo-yo dieting for years, I don't think our poor bodies have a clue as to what they actually need. I think it is easy to get into the mindset that "less calories are better" and to forget that calories are energy, the fuel that our bodies use to keep us alive and feeling great.

My opinion is that it's a good idea to eat around what MFP has recommended -this way you know you are giving your body a good amount of energy and nutrition to stay healthy while you lose weight.

This doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself at every meal, but it is easy to add a few more heatlhy calories with things like nuts, avocado, olive oil, cheese, bananas, red meat, salmon, full fat yoghurt etc.

Completely right! Under eating is a bad thing too. You need proper micros, macros, and such
  • woof19
    woof19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's been covered, but generally, if I'm not hungry, I won't eat. I do quite a few half marathons and the calorie burn is in the 1500's/day and even stuffing myself silly, I'll be in the 1000 - 1300 net calorie range. I don't even bother when I'm doing a full (close to 3000 calorie burn and net near 0).

I'd say just bank the calories. As long as you're over 1200 intake, you should be OK.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I was like this when I started. My body was used to undereating so I didn't feel hungry. But, once I started adding a little more food to each meal it was easy for my body to adjust to the proper amount of food. Until you're used to eating the right amount of food you can't trust your hunger signals. If you are seriously eating under 1000 calories, you need to eat more. It isn't healthy to eat so little.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    instead of eating MORE food, eat more calorie dense foods. so instead of low fat stuff, go full fat.. there you go extra cals.- at least 100 more cals

add nuts to your lunchtime salad... 200 more cals.

drink a glass of full fat milk-extra 300 cals... easy. no need to eat more
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for almost everyone.

Netting under 1200 is a recipe for disaster.

In 6 months, I've lost 40 pounds by eating 1800 calories and netting anywhere from 1500 to 1600. If you start eating too few calories, you'll do one of two things:

1. You'll end up failing because you start binging when the low calorie's start to wreck havoc on your body and excitement of trying this new program wears off.

2. You won't lose weight, you'll get frustrated and quit.
  • HealthyMichie
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I'm having this same problem myself! Your body isn't feeling hungry because it's used to eating so little. Try to eat things rich in good fats like nuts, avocado, seeds, peanut butter, etc. to add some more calories? :)
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    Are you guys eating through out the day? sounds like you may be eating a big meal or two. Its not so hard getting in all your calories if you eat 6 small meals a day.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I have the same issue. Im eatting between 450 and 600 calories. I was anneroexic as a teen, so this has been a battle of over 30 yrs. Im a fat anneroexic. Thank you for Meds, and stavation mode. If I cant reach 1200-1400 calories a day consistantly Im going to start using Ensure. 150 calories per can. I try to eat 5 small meals a day shooting for 350ish calories. I am very hungry about 3 am. I get up and get a snack, ex. almonds. I have even set up a midnight meal. lol.

For me dieting is reaching up to lose weight. Where most people are decreasing calories.

I hope this helps you?
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I also hate thinking about food and calories all the time. But I guess its what I got to do. I also wouldnt go for full fat milk. :bigsmile: