One week in, 4.5 lbs lost. How do you motivate?

Options
Ok. I think I'm just in a funk. I know what I lost is good for first week. (and common due to water weight and what not) but I feel as tho I could have done better. Not necessarily with what the scale said. But just better in general... How did you all feel after your first week? And how are you staying motivated?

I'm sticking with it this time, no question! I'm not that discouraged, no way. But I think I'm just looking for some ideas from other people! :)

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Nearly 5 lbs in a week is fantastic! Congrats on that first off. If you feel you can do better then keep that as part of your motivation- kind of like a challenge for yourself.

I felt good but tired and hungry my first week. I stayed motivated the first few weeks by a friend of my dad's saying that he thought I was a quitter at heart! I stay motivated because I have a son now that needs a healthy mom, I look at my progress through measurements/photos/old clothes, and because I need to for my own health.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Whoa. I'd think seeing almost 5lbs gone would motivate me in itself!!!
  • hugthefish
    hugthefish Posts: 33
    Options
    I've been working hard for 2 weeks and haven't even lost 1lb yet, so don't knock your 4.5.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options

This here. What are you feeling you could do better? Do you think that you could have lost more? Or is it you think you could have eaten more healthy and exercised more? If that is the case then I would just direct your focus. almost 5lbs is an awesome start!
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by watching the scale go down,my self esteem go up,my health getting better & just knowing that for once"I am doing something for me!"It's not even about being skinny for me,i just want to prove to myself That i'm worth it!

It feels SOOOO good!:flowerforyou:
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Agreed! That's great! Congratulations. Get yourself some nice, supportive friends. You can help keep each other motivated. It makes it so much nicer. Good luck!
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    that is a great first week, I know how you feel the first week is always the hardest, just keep at it and it keeps getting easier and easier to stick to
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by redirecting my OCD tendencies from food consumption to MFP logging and reading. Reading other people's quotes and their success stories really do have a way of inspiring. Find people your age and your size on here. Don't friend people you can't relate to, or who are on a different path, if you think they may make you feel your progress isn't worth mentioning. Open yourself up to accountability. Focus your energy on the now, not the goal, because you have to be patient. Celebrate your victories, even small ones. If you are proud of yourself for having passed on something you normally wouldn't have, share it here. For me, my little victories are fluffed off at home ("Honey - I RAN! OUTSIDE! - Granted it was only 34 seconds and it was in the dark, but it's progress!!" was met with much less enthusiasm than I wanted. And much less than I would have gotten on here). There is a ton of great info here, get lost in the boards. And remember, it takes 21 days to make or break most habits, and you are already 1/3 the way there!!
  • tiffanympm
    tiffanympm Posts: 62
    Options
    I have 2lbs for my first week and I was proud!
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    Aw! You guys are all great! There's nothing specific I'm not motivated with. Yet lol I guess it's more in wanting to keep having the momentum to do what I did last week. I appreciate all your comments. I need you all as friends!! Ha! :)

My goal this week is to eat my calories in clean, healthy foods. And so far I haven't done the best in that. Sigh. But I'll do better tomorrow. I'd like to see about 3 lbs gone so I plan on working out every morning (when my son naps) and we walk every day. Now. It's pouring down rain, and is supposed to all weekend, but I have some good videos! I NEED to lose this weight. I have a son who needs a healthy mom! :) Thanks you guys!!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    4.5 pounds lost in a week seems like a LOT??????? Are you maybe feeling depressed because you've been starving yourself silly?

I mean, congrats, but that is a LOT! MFP told me to not try and lose more than 1 pound a week!
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    Lol! I'm not depressed, and definitely not hungry. Just asking around, really. :)
  • Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree with jiddu17especially getting lost in the message boards and having site friends. I lost 4.5lbs my first week (1 week before I found this site) and just finished my second week today; I only went down 1lb. Can't think of why that happened! I was disappointed, but, after reading some messages and then saw all of the wonderful challenges for June, I signed up for two. Use the support here and challenge yourself in different ways.

It's good that you know some of the things that you need to do differently with eating habits. You can start working on them now and make them incentive goals. I started eliminating my problem foods one at a time a while back. I couldn't do it all at once. First, went the chips-don't touch them now. Then, ice cream-now only frozen yogurt 1-2xs a month if any. Next, cookies-never a big fan anyway, etc., etc.

I learned from these past two weeks to be reasonable about the pounds I lose weekly, no matter what I do, i.e., my first week (4.5lb) was extraordinary but my second (1lb) is what is to be expected. So, either way, I did good!

If you want some friends, send me an invite!