Cheat day

Options
I was just wondering if anyone on here has one cheat meal a week? And if you do, does it affect your weight loss significantly? And if you don't, why? Thanks!

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone on here has one cheat meal a week? And if you do, does it affect your weight loss significantly? And if you don't, why? Thanks!
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i do cheat once a week and if i cheat more than that then i try my hardest to work it off that day. i dont think it effects my weight loss, i hope not anyways.
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I don't think you should have a cheat day. It really has to be a "way of life". You need to change your relationship with food. If a "food" is "forbidden" you will only want it more. You should have the "forbidden" food but in small amounts and once in awhile. Anyway that is how I think but it is hard to practice.
  • food_junkie
    Options
    I am no expert but I don't think you should have a cheat day. It really has to be a "way of life". You need to change your relationship with food. If a "food" is "forbidden" you will only want it more. You should have the "forbidden" food but in small amounts and once in awhile. Anyway that is how I think but it is hard to practice.

Good point..I've never thought of it that way.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I didn't deserve a cheat day until I was closer to my goal. But after two emotional binges and the great advice from MFP people, I have added a cheat day on Fridays. So instead of letting my emotions control when I cheat, I now control when and what I eat. So if on Monday I'm having a really bad day, I tell myself that in only 4 days I can treat myself with whatever (I'm an emotional eater). It seems to be working for me. Yes, this is definitely a life style change for me and forbidding these food out of my life will only make me want them more. All the more reason to treat yourself on occasion because life happens and sometimes it involves not so healthy food. We need to learn to eat these foods in moderation and get right back on track the next day.

Good luck because I know it can be a difficult decision to make.

By the way, I've lost 23 lbs since Feb.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • flabbyguy
    flabbyguy Posts: 22
    Options
    The problem with cheat days is that they can really stop your progress.Say you are limitting yourself by 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.Then on Friday say you have 2 beer and three pieces of pizza === approx 1600 calories.Well you have just lost all the hard work from 3 days of dieting...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see a huge deal in allowing yourself a treat MEAL (I don't like to call it a cheat meal because if done right and with the right frame of mind, it doesn't have to be wrong and in fact can be part of a healthy lifestyle, BUT I don't see it as having to be an all day thing either)

I mean, I read somewhere that one of the traits of naturally thin people is that they do allow themselves treats, but they don't let those treats run their lives afterwards. They enjoy something, whether it be dinner and dessert and drinks...or movie popcorn and candy, etc.....and then the next day they get right back on track without another thought. If you think you can have a "treat meal" and not start back on those bad habits by eating that treat, then enjoy something once in awhile.

The truth is that we didn't get overweight by eating ONE treat meal once in awhile.
  • flabbyguy
    flabbyguy Posts: 22
    Options
    Just think of this.When you do get to your target weight and can eat the 500 - 1000 calories more per day simply to maintain your weight.Then every day will be like a bonus cheat day for the rest of your life...
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm not an emotional eater but I only allow myself one cheat day every three months or so. Aside from sushi, there's nothing that I really crave.

Work with your body. If a cheat day works for you, go for it but I rarely do them.
  • lovesdaisies
    Options
    Oh for goodness sakes, we ALL deserve a cheat day a week. Or at least a cheat "meal" as someone else stated. If you eat healthy 6 days a week, and are diligent about counting your calories and exercising, it certainly won't kill you to have a piece of pizza or some real ice cream or something that fulfills you. Just don't go crazy. The key is to make sure that the cheat day doesn't roll into two or three or four. I've had cheat months around Christmas and other holidays. It's hard to bounce back from those.

But, sure, just like I did today - I had a Greek cookie (tomorrow is Greek Easter) and I might have one more before I go to bed tonight. I did very well eating all day today and I don't feel at all guilty about having two delicious honey-filled cookies that made me feel oh so fulfilled!!! :-)

Enjoy your life. A friend of mine who died a few years ago was overweight. She died of cancer, not of a weight-related illness. Anyway, in a letter she wrote to all of her friends before she died, she said "don't deny yourself dessert." I always think about that. Enjoy your life and if you really, really want something - eat it. Just make up for it later on by cutting back somewhere else, or by doing a little more exercise.

Hope that helps!
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Okay so after all this...I was a really big grouch last night so my boyfriend bought me over a sundae. Well...yeah I ate it..brownie and all. :ohwell: So i woke up this morning to weigh in and I lost the lb. I was supposed to! :smile: I guess I'm going to allow myself ONE special thing at the end of each week only if I have been strict the whole week like I was this week.

Thanks again for everyone's input! :laugh:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I plan for my cheat meal!! Saturdays are it. My husband and I have date night every Saturday whether we go out or not. We normally don't go out to dinner, just spend time w/o the kids and reconnect after the week. I don't do a huge food splurge, but if we want to kick back and have a drink or a special snack, I do it guilt free. I just watch what I eat Friday, Sunday and Saturday and do an xtra 15-20 minutes of exercise each day. I don't have any ill effects that I know of, but it is essential for me mentally. The only condition I put is that I don't indulge over 600c.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sakes, we ALL deserve a cheat day a week. Or at least a cheat "meal" as someone else stated. If you eat healthy 6 days a week, and are diligent about counting your calories and exercising, it certainly won't kill you to have a piece of pizza or some real ice cream or something that fulfills you. Just don't go crazy. The key is to make sure that the cheat day doesn't roll into two or three or four. I've had cheat months around Christmas and other holidays. It's hard to bounce back from those.

But, sure, just like I did today - I had a Greek cookie (tomorrow is Greek Easter) and I might have one more before I go to bed tonight. I did very well eating all day today and I don't feel at all guilty about having two delicious honey-filled cookies that made me feel oh so fulfilled!!! :-)

Enjoy your life. A friend of mine who died a few years ago was overweight. She died of cancer, not of a weight-related illness. Anyway, in a letter she wrote to all of her friends before she died, she said "don't deny yourself dessert." I always think about that. Enjoy your life and if you really, really want something - eat it. Just make up for it later on by cutting back somewhere else, or by doing a little more exercise.

Hope that helps!

Having a cheat day or meal really depends on the person.

We do deserve cheat days but I don't do them. There's nothing for me to eat on a cheat day as I don't find food that fulfills me because after I'm done eating, I'm still craving some sort of fulfillment. That's why my cheat days are my shopping days, a new dress fulfills me at least until the new fashion season.

I gained weight not from overeating but living off my boyfriend's diet. Eating a fast food diet without my normal exercise just made my butt explode. Before this, I grew up eating my grandmother's healthy cooking.

I survived cancer four years ago and not having a cheat meal makes me happy. Cookies, soda, dessert, and all other "bad" things just give me anxiety and I'm much happier without them. This is how I enjoy life :)