Protein Powder

Options
i bought some protein powder the other day at London Drugs, its 100% whey protein chocolate flavor

OMG, i don't know how people drink that stuff. I've tried it a couple of times and have a hard time getting it down in water, and in milk. it just about made me get sick this morning :sick:

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Mix it 1/2 hour before you're going to drink it and put the shaker in the fridge. Shake it a couple times along the way. Definitely give it a good shake before you drink it. A little more time for the powder to mix in <emulsify?> and it's better - less gritty.

Sometimes I add a couple scoops to a cup of hot coffee - it's kind'a like a latte of something. That's pretty good too.

Remember, they don't serve it at bars. I don't know if it's supposed to taste good. :smile:
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i don't drink coffee, but maybe i can try it in some tea or something.

it wasn't the texture that bothered me, it was the taste, lol! i didn't figure it would taste good, but i didn't think it'd taste that bad either haha!
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    nothing will really help the taste. It taste like that because theres no sugar. I know it taste gross, but think about the wonderful things it does for your body. Mixing it in tea will prob. make it taste worse.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Different brands taste different. You should ask for suggestions on what brand to buy. I've been told to buy the Optimum Nutrition brand as my marathon running friend says it tastes the best.
    Also what are you mixing it with? I know the jars usually say to mix with water, but I can't even imagine that tasting good with anything. Mix it with skim milk!

Ok I just noticed you said you tried it with milk... maybe just try a different flavor?
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like it mixed with milk, and you can also try just using 1 scoop instead of 2 at first.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    add it to chocolate milk and you should barely taste it. Good luck.

I tend to use vanilla as you can add it to anything or anything to it and it takes on that flavour, chocolate is not as versitle, unfortunately
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have to say I love protein powder, so maybe its the brand you bought? If I'm just using water, I like Max Protein from GNC in vanilla or cookie. However, Gold Standard powder (also at GNC) is a bit more flavorful to me (doesn't mix as well w/water) and is great in oatmeal. Its also great in blender with milk and bananas and/or blueberries. Every brand tastes different to me, so maybe if you really want to add it to your diet you should switch brands?
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    try mixing it in the blender with fruit, yogurt ect...
    not sure what a good combo would be for chocolate
    but with vanilla, some OJ or yogurt, frozen berries and half a banana really helps the taste, i have a hard time getting past the taste as well.

good luck!
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    Just read the thread...what is a good protein shake or protein bars....I esp. need a snack bar type to get me thru 2-3 pm (when im most tired) but I normally dont work out until 6-8 pm. I do lift weights 2-3 times a week and I am pretty active most of the week.
  • TaraJ16
    Options
    maybe i'll try adding it to oatmeal or chocolate milk and see how that works. i don't like vanilla so i can't see being able to drink that flavor either lol!

i just got off the phone with my mom, and she said theres dissolveable capsules you can buy. so she suggested i try picking some of those up and filling the capsules with the powder and taking it that way. but those are big scoops so that'd be a lot of capsules lol
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love the GNC Pro Performance 100% Pure Whey protein powder. The vanilla is good, the chocolate is even better and the cookies and cream is awesome. I like to mix them with a small glass of fat free milk (usually use 4 ounces per scoop to keep the total calories down). On top of that, when you go on Gold Card week, the price is about the best you can find anywhere.
  • CasperO
    Options
    I love google,,, look what I found.

I haven't tried any of these (yet), but here's some ideas:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/347749/10_ways_to_jazz_up_vanilla_whey_protein.html?cat=51

If whey protein powder is a staple for you like it is for me, you're looking for ways to dress it up a bit. After all, you can only drink so much vanilla anything, right? Following are some tried and true suggestions on how to mix it up with vanilla whey protein powder.

Spice Cake

In a shaker bottle or blender, mix one dash each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg with one scoop vanilla whey powder and eight ounces of water or milk. Blend and enjoy.

Pumpkin Pie

In a shaker bottle or blender, mix ¼ cup canned pumpkin and one dash each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well and serve cold.

Orange Creamsicle

In a shaker bottle or blender, mix one tablespoon sugar free marmalade with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well.

Cherry Vanilla

In a blender, mix ¼ cup sugar free cherry pie filling with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well.

Banana Bread

In a blender, mix 1/2 banana and one dash each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well and drink promptly.

Banana/Strawberry

In a blender, mix 1/2 banana and ¼ cup fresh or frozen strawberries with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well and drink promptly.

Cheesecake

In a shaker bottle or blender, mix one ¼ cup prepared Jello sugar free cheesecake flavored pudding with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well.

Pina Colada

In a blender, mix ¼ cup drained crushed pineapple and one tablespoon shredded coconut with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well and drink promptly.

Latte

In a shaker bottle or blender, mix one teaspoon instant coffee crystals with one scoop vanilla whey protein powder and eight ounces of cold water or milk. Blend well. Great for a pre-workout pick-me-up or mid-morning snack.

Vanilla Pudding

Did you know you could make pudding with your protein powder? Yes, you can!

Just place one scoop of vanilla whey protein powder in a small bowl and add about ¼ cup of water or milk. Mix thoroughly. This usually mixes up into a nice pudding consistency but you can vary the amount of water/milk to your taste.

There is no need to settle for plain old Vanilla when you can make every liquid meal an adventure!
  • TaraJ16
    Options
    Thanks casper, i'm going to have to pick up some vanilla and try some of these out!! protein powder is going to be a staple for me so i'm going to have to find some way to get it down. i don't eat meat, so although i've been getting protein i haven't been getting enough. so with the powder it takes me right where i should be. i'm actually looking forward to trying some of these out!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's Aria Women's protein powder. I like it. I make a "smoothy" out of it by blending 8 - 10 oz. of orange juice with frozen pineapple tidbits (maybe 3/4 cup) and a scoop of the powder - it's delicious!
  • zombiebullet
    Options
    I add a blended table spoon of peanut butter which makes it go down much better
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have the best method for eating my protein.

It's called the "real food method".

I eat a balanced diet that contains everything I need. I prepare my protein with great spices, sauces, marinades, and other tasty ingredients.

It "goes down" great anytime--and so many different varieties, too!
  • CasperO
    Options
    True true Dakkie, that's the best way.

I'm building muscle mass. Trying to get 200 grams of protein a day, and specifically to get a nice dose right after exercise. Tuna gets old. Supplementation can be useful.

Whey protein is not some bizarre drug, it's just dehydrated cheese powder. Still a food.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Just read the thread...what is a good protein shake or protein bars....I esp. need a snack bar type to get me thru 2-3 pm (when im most tired) but I normally dont work out until 6-8 pm. I do lift weights 2-3 times a week and I am pretty active most of the week.

I love Pure Protein bars. I usually get a 6pack at Walmart. I've found the carb/protein ratio is pretty good. I get PowerMaxx from GNC in chocolate. It's really yummy.
  • TaraJ16
    Options
    i have a hard time meeting my protein needs though since i don't really eat cheese, or a lot of milk products, i don't eat a lot of beans, and i don't eat any meat or fish.

i just tried a scoop in oatmeal and um eww lol! won't be doing that again
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love pure protein bars also.
    But please remember when choosing a protein shake....To pay attention to the calories, fat, sugar, carbs ect. A shake that taste out of this world will have alot of sugar and carbs, and calories, which may make you go out of your daily allowance from MFP.