Anyone drink protein drinks AND recovery drinks?

Options
Anyone drink both? Why do you drink it and when do you drink it? I don't exercise as much as I should and do plan to up that. Right now I don't really drink any of the 2 I mentioned. I'm just trying to educate myself on the purpose these 2 serve.

Replies

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink protein drinks right after working out with weights. The protein is good for muscle recovery.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I drink whey protein drinks after my workout. I dont really take in anything in before I workout. Maybe an energy drink (I know theyre bad for me). And i drink whey protein shakes even on the days i dont work out because your muscles are still recovering from your workout, from the previous day.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the whole protein drink issue but I drink a protein drink after I run.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I work out at a high intensity & have to eat A LOT, so I use both. I have a banana before my workout, a recovery drink directly after (4:1 carb:protein ratio), and a whey weight gainer about an hour after that. I also put protein powder in my oatmeal & Greek yogurt. Yummy.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm new to the whole protein drink issue but I drink a protein drink after I run.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, can I take it after doing only cardio or is it for muscle recovery so I would only need it if I'm doing weight and tearing up muscle?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere about other runners drinking protein drinks, that's why I started drinking them. It was either on an MFP thread or in Runners World.
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake 2-3 times a day. One is usually a meal replacement, second is immediately after a weight training or ab session and third is right before I go to bed. If you want to get more information regarding supplements I highly recommend you check out www.bodybuilding.com, they have so much to read and learn about. Good luck.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options

That's what I'm trying to figure out, can I take it after doing only cardio or is it for muscle recovery so I would only need it if I'm doing weight and tearing up muscle?

Any time you work out at a high intensity, you deplete your system of its glycogen & blood sugar stores. Recovery drinks are meant to replace those, while a bit of protein piggybacks to help with muscle rebuilding. Protein shakes & recovery drinks are not the same. A recovery drink has a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. If you feel like you've given your workout all you have and have nothing left, a recovery drink is in order.

Protein shakes are great for keeping your calorie and protein counts up, but most of your protein should come from food. I eat 2800-3000 calories a day, so I need a shake to help me meet that goal.
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes after working out most of the time..especially if it is a tough workout..I put frozen straw/blueberries/half banana, skim milk and a scoop of whey protein..it's so good!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Spoke with someone today about it and was told that protein drinks are to rebuild back the muscles you're tearing up when doing weight lifting and such. That the recovery drinks are good for non-weight lifting workouts such as cardio etc... :huh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I drink 2 a day. One after I workout and one 45 minutes before I go to bed. The 3 days that I work out with the trainer I drink it after that workout. The other days I don't work out with my trainer I drink it after my cardio.