Need help with ideas for weight GAIN!

Options
k011185
k011185 Posts: 320 Member
My mother has lung cancer, (along with 3 or 4 other types), and just had a stint put into her esophagus to hold it open so that she could eat. (one of the tumours in her lung had grown so large that it had pushed the esophagus closed).
Anyhow, this means she can eat, but nothing too thick or chewy, and nothing that will 'gum up'. So between the stint and the chemo her diet is very restricted... no breads, red meats, puddings are too thick, nothing too strongly flavoured or too sugary, nothing acidic, etc.
Unfortunately, she is dropping about a pound a day, and we're getting a little desperate for new options!
She has a juiceplus powder with tons of nutrients and protein that she can have a little of with thinned out yoghurt.

I'm looking for more high calorie ideas that are not proccessed or difficult for her too eat. I have avacados and coconut oil, but am just coming up blank beyond that.

Replies

• k011185
    Options
    anyone??
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options
    What about whey protein shakes? You can make them with yogurt and fruit. Also they have some with weigh gainer in them.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My prayers are with your Mother and your family.

Fats will give her the most calories in the least amount of food. I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options
    Found this recipe

Bulk Me Up Protein Shake

Totals-
    Calories: 1,040
    Protein: 69 grams
    Carbs: 103
    Fat: 34 grams
    Sat. Fat: 13.5 grams

Ingredients:
    6 ice cubes
    8 oz. whole milk
    1 cup vanilla ice cream (I get the Always Save brand)
    2 tablespoons Peter Pan Peanut Butter
    4 tablespoons Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
    2 scoop Vanilla flavoried Optimum Nutrition protein powder

Directions:
    1) Put the 8 oz. milk and 6 ice cubes in the blender and blend that together
    2) Add in 1 cup ice cream
    3) Add in 2 scoop protein powder
    4) Add in chocolate syrup
    5) Add in peanut butter
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options
    Another one

Delicious Peanut Butter & Chocolate Weight Gainer Protein Shake

1 ½ cups whole milk

2 table spoons peanut butter

1 scoop chocolate ice cream

2 scoops chocolate protein powder

Calories: 645 Protein: 47 g Fat: 37 g
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Can her oncologist refer her to a dietician?

In the meantime: dark meat chicken, full fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese cubes), meal replacement shakes (Boost, Ensure, etc.) to be used as a snack, baked potatoes with butter or sour cream, whole eggs (scrambled, omlette, hard-boiled), fish (the more oily, the better).

There ought to be some groups on the website for people trying to gain weight; you might be able to find more targeted advice there.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I found this site with recipes specifically for cancer patients struggling to gain or maintain their weight. I hope it's helpful.

https://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/during-treatment-recipes
  • Irvika
    Irvika Posts: 11
    Options
    On top of protein shake I would alternate ensure (they have fat). That what we did for my grandma a few years back. Prompt recovery for your mom.
  • wlaurel
    wlaurel Posts: 43
    Options
    legumes, nuts, seeds, olives, sweet corn, rice, pasta, potatoes, JUICE, butter, olive oil
  • k011185
    Options
    Can her oncologist refer her to a dietician?

In the meantime: dark meat chicken, full fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese cubes), meal replacement shakes (Boost, Ensure, etc.) to be used as a snack, baked potatoes with butter or sour cream, whole eggs (scrambled, omlette, hard-boiled), fish (the more oily, the better).

There ought to be some groups on the website for people trying to gain weight; you might be able to find more targeted advice there.
    He did refer her to one, but almost everything she suggested makes mom sick.
    I hadn't thought of fish though, thank you, and that is easy for her to eat! We gave her some halibut last night and she loved it.
  • k011185
    Options
    Found this recipe

Bulk Me Up Protein Shake

Totals-
    Calories: 1,040
    Protein: 69 grams
    Carbs: 103
    Fat: 34 grams
    Sat. Fat: 13.5 grams

Ingredients:
    6 ice cubes
    8 oz. whole milk
    1 cup vanilla ice cream (I get the Always Save brand)
    2 tablespoons Peter Pan Peanut Butter
    4 tablespoons Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
    2 scoop Vanilla flavoried Optimum Nutrition protein powder

Directions:
    1) Put the 8 oz. milk and 6 ice cubes in the blender and blend that together
    2) Add in 1 cup ice cream
    3) Add in 2 scoop protein powder
    4) Add in chocolate syrup
    5) Add in peanut butter

Thank you! I'm terrible at coming up with recipes, and wasn't having much luck finding high cal ones. (I am the worst internet searcher ever! lol)
    I found this site with recipes specifically for cancer patients struggling to gain or maintain their weight. I hope it's helpful.

https://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/during-treatment-recipes

Thanks, very helpful!!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Some of the protein shakes add to much sugar, IMO (especially if she's dealing with such health complications). You can make a good, calorie-heavy smoothie without adding chocolate syrup or icecream. Blend full-fat, plain yoghurt, whatever fruits you want, and protein powder. If you want to make a chocolate-peanut butter one, omit the other fruits and blend banana, peanut butter, and cocoa powder (you can add a bit of sugar to this one if you need to). You can also get powder that is for meal replacement purposes-- I've used one called "Raw Meal." You can also try feeding her creamy soups. Hope she has speedy recovery!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    My fiancé has issues with keeping weight on due to a diease and has a limited diet as well. Liquid fats digest better than regular, and I make sure he gets lots of protein shakes with almond milk (no dairy for him). Raw Meal is gross and grainy, so it might not be good, but it is high in calories. He drinks a lot of juices too, or else mixes them with various shake mixes (if it's gross, he won't eat it). I would avoid hemp protein as it can get very grainy too-- Jay Robb egg white powders mix very well though. Hope that helps some!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mothers illness. I took care of my Mother in law and know what you are going through. You really should talk to her Doctors, they would have the correct answers. :heart:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. My mom about 4 years ago went through chemo for Breast Cancer. She drank Ensure shakes to keep her strength up when she couldn't think of eating anything. She gained about 40 pounds in about a year, I'm assuming the chemo had a lot to do with it, but those shakes are very high caloric and easy to down...
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Plenty of fruit juice and whole milk, if she can tolerate it. View everything as an opportunity to fit in cals. Buttered rice can be blended with a bit of cream and sugar for a sweeter taste, or even gravy for something savory. Mashed bananas are a higher calorie fruit (again, puree with a little cream if the banana is too thick). Puree pretty much any cooked vegetable with half and half for a simple soup - tomatoes, asparagus, potatoes, mushrooms, etc.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • k011185
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is really helping!
    Because of her esophagus stint, she can have nothing acidic, which I didn't realize was so hard to avoid until now! I spent the morning trying out some of the different shake recipes, cutting down on the sugars and trying to get them tasty enough to tempt her :)
    You guys are awesome, thanks again!