Attention: SUGAR JUNKIES!!!!!!!

Options
This post is to share a possible solution to the sugar addiction that so many of us battle. I work night shifts as a dispatcher for a towing company (sleep deprivation) and days at Starbucks (unlimited supply of sugar and caffeine). I am almost 2 weeks into this new way of tracking and am seeing some positive benefits.

I decided to start cutting my sugar because I got to a point that I was so dependent on sugar for energy that I was pretty much living on about 80% sugary junk, 10% caffeine and 10% healthy food. I originally decided to try staying within the boundaries of the MFP sugar limits (for myself 30g sugar per day which went up with activity). After about 5 days of this I was feeling great and this was, if nothing else, a great detox from my addiction to all things white and sweet. I found that as soon as I allowed myself to have a (planned and much anticipated) treat I went off the deep end and before I knew it I was staring at an empty girl guide cookie box (sound familiar?).

I knew that, at least for myself, MFP's sugar limits are way too low. I found myself avoiding a lot of very healthy foods (fruits and vegetables) because they contributed too much to my daily sugar intake. I found a solution that works for me, and may help you out if you struggle with sugar addiction as well. The solution is to stick with MFP's default sugar limit but bonus points can be earned by eating fiber. I combine the total that MFP gives me (including what is added on automatically when I enter my activity) and the total grams of fiber I eat to make my new sugar goal (in grams). I find this limit way more sustainable and, because sugar is not completely forbidden, I do not feel the need to overindulge. This also allows for healthier sugary foods because they often also contribute to the fiber intake, so they don't make such a dent in my daily sugar goal. For myself, I have been carrying forward unused sugar grams (again: daily sugar + daily fiber) so that the inevitable indulgences that life brings can be factored into my plan and are not the end of the world. This has been working for me and I find that, almost without trying, I am under my calorie goal and satisfied (even when PMS hit, I just cashed in some of my carried forward sugar grams, and enjoyed them. No guilt and even under my daily calorie goal).

So, in summary (I know, it's a bit confusing). Follow MFP's default sugar goals (they will increase with activity, that is okay, just go with whatever they give you) and add on whatever fiber grams you intake for the day.

MFP sugar default (in grams) + fiber eaten (in grams)= Daily sugar allowance.

Any uneaten sugar allowance can be carried forward indefinitely to allow for those splurges that life inevitably brings. This may not work for you, but for myself, it is a sustainable way of cutting back my sugar intake to a reasonable level while taking away the element of forbiddenness (haha, not sure if that is a word). Because sugar is my biggest downfall, I feel like I have cracked the code and found the solution to my uphill battle all along. Hope this helps someone else who also struggles with sugar addiction.

Edit: If you are looking for support, I am always open to new friends. Add me :)

Replies

• AmyG17
    AmyG17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! My name is Amy and I am a Sugar addict ;)
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    These are excellent tips, sugar always has been my vice. The fiber vs. Sugar thing is something I knew about but never think about so thanks for reminding me about that! I also work 3rd shift at home depot and battle with sleep constantly so I feel your pain there
  • annonnymouse
    Options
    bump
  • annonnymouse
    Options
    interesting, bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!