Does anyone know about Thyroid levels?

Options
So back in August I had my Thyroid tested because I was going through depression issues after having my second baby. I never got a call about the results and I forgot all about it until recently when I came across something on the internet where this woman was talking about how she looked pregnant. I clicked on it because in the two days before that I was complaining about the same thing. So I did a check list for Hypothyroidism and I had more than half of the symptoms. I was at the doctor yesterday and saw the results were 3.41. I saw on the internet that the AACE narrowed the range for a "normal" thyroid to .3-3.0, but alot of labs have normal as .5-5.0. Does anyone know if I should worry?

Replies

• my2girls0507
    Options
    So back in August I had my Thyroid tested because I was going through depression issues after having my second baby. I never got a call about the results and I forgot all about it until recently when I came across something on the internet where this woman was talking about how she looked pregnant. I clicked on it because in the two days before that I was complaining about the same thing. So I did a check list for Hypothyroidism and I had more than half of the symptoms. I was at the doctor yesterday and saw the results were 3.41. I saw on the internet that the AACE narrowed the range for a "normal" thyroid to .3-3.0, but alot of labs have normal as .5-5.0. Does anyone know if I should worry?
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor say about your thyroid level aside from it being 3.41? Your doctor didn't tell you if it was good or bad?
  • my2girls0507
    Options
    No, I went in for the Mirena consultation and I asked the nurse about it and I saw it in the computer. I asked her if it was good or bad and she said she didn't know. She told me to ask the doctor. Well the doctor had to do a Pap and I said something to her in the middle of that and she said she'd look. We were talking about other things to do with the Mirena and it slipped my mind until I was in the parking lot of the hospital. I was not about to turn around with my two children just to ask her about it. I thought no big deal I'll ask my godfather who is a doctor. I haven't been able to get ahold of him, though. So I figured maybe someone on here would know.
  • leblancb
    leblancb Posts: 47
    Options
    you would have to check the normal range for the particular lab that tested your thyroid. The levels are different all over the states and canada.
    If you was in the grey area, your DR should have requested a repeat in 4-6 months.
  • Caddieseamus
    Options
    Leblacb is right on. Different labs do different tests, so depending on the test..it may have a different reference range (normal range). I would call your doctors office and ask that they send you a copy of you results. The lab normal values are usually listed next to your result.

My sister has a Mirena and loves it. My other sister has a Paragard and loves it too. Good luck.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, I just had my Mirena removed after 3 years. I loved the fact that it kept me from getting pregnant again, I didn't like the fact that after 2 years, my body decided it was pregnant and started acting like it. Granted, I was pregnant for a 2 year period and got the wonderful device after my second child, but it did start interfering with weight loss and slowed down the process. If after time it starts happening, let your doctor know. I have a low tolerance to birth control, so the effects were worse. I do know people the same thing happened to and people who had no problems.
  • spartysue
    spartysue Posts: 29
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid disease 8 years ago. I was tested before that and my numbers where in the "high normal" range. My doctor thought it was no big deal. A couple years later, I was off the charts. Even if they tell you it's normal, I would recommend getting re-tested at least once a year. The only way they caught mine was because I was turning 40 and the nurse practitioner was very "on top of things." I had lots of the symptoms; but my doc had written these off to stress, my weight, etc. I'm now on synthroid and will take it for the rest of my life. However, I would much rather take the meds than go back to how I was feeling (severe depression, no sex drive, hair stopped growing, extremely dry skin, etc.). Doctors don't seem to be very aggressive in treating this disease. There are some good books out there you can check out. The best thing to do is watch your numbers and start educating yourself. Good luck!
  • my2girls0507
    Options
    That's the thing, though, I have all of those symptoms too. That's why I'm curious about the levels.
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, it's a serious condition that carries serious side effects if left untreated. I know that it is highly hereditary, does anyone in your family have it?
    I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure how it works for the US, but you should definitely take the possibility of it seriously, and get tested for it, or at least clarify the results of the test you already had done, if it was recent.
    Once I started on Eltroxin, I realized how badly I was affected by the underactive thyroid. I felt like I was going crazy, nothing in my body felt normal - but I was also post partum, so I chocked it up to that until the Doc did a routine post partum blood test and diagnosed me.
    VERY grateful - made a HUGE difference!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    you need to have a follow up with a endocronologist and not your gyn. I am hyperthyroid but not bad enough to be on meds, my doctor sees me every 6 months and monitors my bloodwork. So you should follow up and see if you need to be on meds or what.
  • historynerd
    Options
    I second everyone suggesting you talk more with your doctor...

I am hypothyroid (only have 1/2 my thyroid) and I take synthroid...I will say though that doctors test SO many women for this that don't have it. I have friends all the time who tell me they are getting tested for it and are partly hopeful that they are hypo bc they think that it will help with weight loss. If you do have it, it's not a quick fix. Finding the right medication dose is a long road. Good luck!
  • chrissy8382015
    Options
    If you are in the grey area the Doc. might not do anything saying that everything is fine. I have a friend who is a lab tech. and thier levels are not as a curate as they should be I have most of the symtems and it is in the family. The docs. did nothing so I went to the natural way and have seen improvment.