Question for runners

Options
frosty73
frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
Why do I always see runners running on the side of the road, when there's a perfectly good sidewalk next to them?

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Dog turds.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The road is smoother and has a bit more "give" than concrete footpaths.
    Having said that I usually run on the footpath, but i would run on the road if those pesky cars weren't going so fast on it.
    Oh, and most races are on the road not the footpath, so it's better practice.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    sidewalk is uneven or in bad shape. I will run on the road if I know there is a bad patch of sidewalk up ahead but usually not when there is a ton of traffic.

I agree it does feel better to run on, too. Concrete sidewalks can be harder on your joints.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Blacktop is better for your feet and back than concrete! It has a bit of "give" to it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I will only run on the road if there is no sidewalk or the sidewalk is really crappy. Although sometimes running on the sidewalk provides some extra 'obstacles' and makes me work a little harder.

Too many morons behind the wheel to make me feel comfortable running in the road all the time.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    sidewalk is uneven or in bad shape. I will run on the road if I know there is a bad patch of sidewalk up ahead but usually not when there is a ton of traffic.
    The sidewalks are horrible in my town. Why do they plant maple trees (with top growing roots) so close them anyway?
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, the sidewalks are uneven... although for me it kind of makes it more fun to have mini obstacles haha
  • Teresa712
    Teresa712 Posts: 32
    Options
    Sidewalks are uneven...many cracks....and bikes, trikes, etc are just dropped on sidewalks.
    I couple of my friends (non-runners or walkers) will make cute comments to me about this same thing--I always tell them that my tax dollars help pay for these streets I run on!!!
    My knees feel it less when I run on the black top also.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I agree it does feel better to run on, too. Concrete sidewalks can be harder on your joints.

agree.....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Paved roads are "softer" than concrete sidewalks.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The sidewalks in my neighborhood are all /\/\/\/\/\ and broken in places, it hurts my knees and shins too badly. The street is flat. I can actually concentrate on my run and not on avoiding twisting my ankle.

I don't wear an ipod or play music while I run so I can be hyper-vigilant of cars, dogs, and perverts, though. I'll hop up on the curb if I hear a car coming.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Around here, bikers use the sidewalks, too. They come up from behind and pass within millimeters of me. I'd rather take my chances with the cars. At least I can see them coming. Although most of this area has a wide area at the side. Not sure I'd do it where there is a narrow strip.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So we don't send old ladies and buggy-pushers flying as we go past. Also driveway dips are at best uncomfortable and at worst tripping hazards.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm a road runner (I run against traffic on the side of the road). Sidewalk driveways are terrible where I live. I even walk to work in the gutter rather than the sidewalk.
  • doodles80
    doodles80 Posts: 59
    Options
    Guessing you are from the states and so can't comment on you guys - but over the pond the pavements (sidewalks) are a pain to run on because you are constantly didging people, poo, or putting extra stress on your ankles by running upand down the kerbs.

That said I always run on the pavement because of the crazy taxi drivers here!

(Disclaimer: other drivers are as equally as incompetant)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I will only run on the road if there is no sidewalk or the sidewalk is really crappy. Although sometimes running on the sidewalk provides some extra 'obstacles' and makes me work a little harder.

Too many morons behind the wheel to make me feel comfortable running in the road all the time.

a lot of morons on foot too, it never ceases to amaze me how just one solitary person not only walks forwards, but needs the entire width of the side walk to do it.

I tend to stick to sidewalks, but dog turds are the main reason i stay on the road. incase you don't already, always run AGAINST the flow of traffic...
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Too many mailbox posts for the chihuahua to wrap his leash around, too many cars parked along the street for a psycho to hide behind, and too many Little Tykes toys left abandoned on the sidewalk.
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder this too until I started running outside a couple of weeks ago. I ran on the sidewalk on my first outdoor run and the concrete killed my knees, calves and back. I was in total shock since I never got sore running on the treadmill .

So, now I run in the pedestrian lane on the road and no more pain. I do worry (a lot) about getting hit by a car.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I heard that the asphalt is softer to run on. And, generally it's smoother and nothing to dodge or watch out for.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder this too until I started running outside a couple of weeks ago. I ran on the sidewalk on my first outdoor run and the concrete killed my knees, calves and back. I was in total shock since I never got sore running on the treadmill .

So, now I run in the pedestrian lane on the road and no more pain. I do worry (a lot) about getting hit by a car.
    I run in the bike lane facing traffic. I feel much better if I can see the cars coming.