Chicken Breast Confusion!

Options
I've noticed quite a big different on the calories between different "chicken breasts" in the database. Although I would love to just find the lowest and choose it, I want to be accurate.

For instance, I bought a huge pack of skinless/boneless chicken breast from WalMart and can't figure out what the calories would be for those.

Anyone have any idea?

Replies

• mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean there's quite a difference in the input, try calorieking.com and see what come up there!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Did you look on the back? I buy chicken that has the nutritional value on the back of the package.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Go into your food data base and type in Walmart chicken breast and it will give you a list of different ones they carry and see if you can find the one's you bought
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Great Value - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Servings: of 4 ounces 1 ounces

Calories110Sodium180 mgTotal Fat3 gPotassium55 mg Saturated1 gTotal Carbs0 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g Monounsaturated1 g Sugars0 g Trans0 gProtein23 gCholesterol65 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium0 %Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Remember that chicken breast come in different sizes - so unless you measure you may be getting results from people who have measured it differently. As noted above - the standard is 4 oz.
  • jennybenny104
    Options
    It may not help now but your best bet is to get the packs with the nutrition facs on them. Figure out how you are going to cook it, add all of the nutrition facts from all ingrediants and make your own new food item.

There are a lot of different items to choose from but I have noticed that most of the 'cooked' ck products are off on callories becasue it doesn't take into account what you cook with.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways to be completely accurate is to buy a food scale. I have one of these and it works wonders! Then, you can measure your chicken breast by the ounce (oz). Tyipcally a serving size for chicken breast is 3-4oz. And that will make a huge difference on your calories. And most chicken breast options in the database will be pretty similar in calories if measured by oz.

I typically buy the large packages of freshly cut chicken breasts. And a lot of times one breast is 2 serving sizes.

So, I use my food scale to determine the ounces.I use it for a lot of items: pasta, cheeses and ALL of my meats.

I bought one at K-Mart from the Martha Stewart collection, it was just an average scale(non-digital), about $10.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Every chicken breast is a different size. A scale is the best method. But I just weighed a chicken breast that I would consider average size and it was 240 calories
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Something else I found out when I used to do recipe editing is that the definition of a chicken breast is open to interpretation...

I found out that some regions consider BOTH sides of the chicken to be one breast and one side to be half a breast....but to me 1 breast is just the one side. I guess in some localities, you buy your breast with both halves still attached together???? Can someone tell me if that's true?

When I figured this out, I realized why some calories counts for 1 breast are double what others are.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I buy Tyson 100% all natural boneless skinless Chicken tenderloins in the frozen section.

100 caloires per 4 oz of chicken.

Make sure you read the package and get the 100% natural ones or you'll end up with chicken thats injected with tenderizers etc. and have rib meat added...GROSS
  • AshlySouthard
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. The chicken I bought was one of their "Market Specials" it wasn't any particular brand, just something from their meat shop. I don't remember seeing any nutritional information on it, of course I tossed the original packaging so I can't double check.

I LOVE the Tysons chicken that is 100 calories, but sometimes it's (MUCH) cheaper to buy the other kind.