Don't marry a good cook!!

Options
My wife is a very good cook. She supports me on my weighyt loss journy, but she always is cooking something good for dinner. On weekends she is always making a larger breakfast. If I don't eaqt what she cooks, then she feels offended. How do I balance this out. I tried eating small portions, but then she thinks I don't like the food. I don't know what to do. HELP

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a good cook. I spent some time explaining exactly what I'm doing and he's modified his cooking to fit it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Say, thanks, but no thanks. Its tough, but necessary.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sit down with her, explain it thoroughly. Tell her she's a fantastic cook and that's why you know that if anyone is capable of accommodating your new eating habits, then she can.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm the cook in the family (well, not grilling)...there are soo many ways to have good food that isn't going to mess your goals! Find a good cookbook, or check out the clean eating plan on emeals.com, and you can show her some great ideas.

Or, start volunteering to cook more often! She'll appreciate that too! (as long as you clean up aftewards)
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sit down with her, explain it thoroughly. Tell her she's a fantastic cook and that's why you know that if anyone is capable of accommodating your new eating habits, then she can.

Agreed, this is a nice way of letting her know that you are serious about your weight loss goals, and that she can accomodate them.
  • DaleArden
    DaleArden Posts: 26
    Options
    My partner is an excellent cook, and loves to make big meals. I just communicated with her about my eating plans and she's worked it into her cooking. Over the past three years, she's learned to cook low fat, low sugar, vegan, and gluten free (not all because of our immediate household, I should add)--she enjoys the challenge and we enjoy the results. Communicate with your wife, see if she'd be willing to find ways to adapt her recipes to suit your dietary aims.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My wife is a good cook too, which has made it easier for her to adjust to making healthier foods that taste great!
  • lilbpixie
    lilbpixie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try to help her find some healthier recipes. Because your wife loves you if you give her some recipes for things that you can have then help her (or at least offer to help) prep food for dinner.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    if she cooks stuff that can be leftover (or frozen) i would suggest eating a decent portion then explaining you want more for later :) I'm the cook of our family, and I have difficulty cooking less, but we do lots of leftovers... and i freeze many meals that aren't eaten. Hope this helps :)
  • Berberena33
    Berberena33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband is a chef and believe me he can make some amazing meals! However he knows that I am working hard to drop the weight and he has even joined me now so that has caused him to change his cooking habits! Portion control is huge and of course cutting out all the deserts (that was the hardest in our house cause I love to bake)! I say just talk to her, hopefully she is supportive and understands!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I kinda have the same problem. My husband cooks and then will try to give me half of whatever he fixed.....but because most of the time i cook, i can control the portion size of what i eat. I would say, just sit down and talk to her, tell her she is a really good cook, but that u have to cut back on the portion size. It's a tough thing to do, but you can do it!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    get her cooking healthier if that is a word. Anyway I am the cook in the family and since my wife and I are both eatting better and getting healthy it is incorporated into all meals. You can still have a nice big breakfast just switch out some of the staples you used to use. egg beaters instead of eggs for an omlete, use turkey bacon or sausage. healthy choice bread for toast. So many very tasty options of low cal healthy cooking now. But the key is to get her on the same page as you.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe sit her down and explain that although her food is amazing, you are trying for a healthier lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with eating her cooking in moderation I don't think, unless it's like mine would be and loaded down with bacon grease as we tend to do here in the south ..lol. I truly think she would understand and maybe like PP said modify things as much as possible. Hope it works and Good Luck red!!!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    ask her politely to keep cooking that awesome food but modify it to a heathy food. It's not that hard to cook healthier. I bet she's up for the challange. But do remind her you ARE watching that portion size. Good Luck!!!!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I am the good cook (not married!) so I guess that is a good thing seeing as how I have to make things I like and can moderate my intake :)
  • MenuMom4
    MenuMom4 Posts: 39
    Options
    My husband says the same thing! Both of us were extremely overweight and he started working at getting in shape before I did. It was a struggle for me to learn to adjust my cooking. I finally started doing better after tracking exactly how much a serving size is and how many calories are in the serving. Once I realized that I was really overeating and over-feeding my husband I felt better about making lower calorie and smaller portions. It also became a personal challenge - to cook great tasting food in a healthier way. I have a blog about food if you'd like to show your wife - http://myweeklymenus.blogspot.com/2011/07/temperance-eating-for-weight-control.html. He's down 115lbs and I'm down 45lbs.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If she is supportive, which I hope, then she could make healthier recipes. It would benefit the entire family and can still be delicious.

Skinnytaste.com has wonderful recipes. I feel I am a good cook, too, but now I challenge myself to only make healthy meals. It's easy to make good tasting stuff when it's covered in butter and cheese, but what good is that for anyone? I am finding that the healthy recipes are just as good, though.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I'm the cook -- been told there hasn't been a meal my man hasn't enjoyed.

Portion control... yup, it's tough.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    well since she is a good cook, tell her honestly about your health and fitness goals, and let her know how much you love her cooking. perhaps ask her to adapt her delicious recipees to be healthy :happy:

I am not a good cook and neither is my hubby hahahaha :laugh: but it is still hard, to cook the healthy way sometimes when you feel it is taking away flavour. however I find that you do get used to less salt less fat in cooking, less sugar. i actually find it brings out the flavours more. And there are lots of spices and herbs to play with. I find Sandra Cabot recipees really tasty and healthy too ! she is amazing.

It is amazing how many natural delicious foods there are that are healthy !!

I am sure once she understands how important it is to you to eat healthy and be healthy she will understand, I love my husband and I try to cook healthy as possible so I can have him around for a long time. I am sure she feels the same way :heart: :wink:
    best of luck!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Oh, man. Good luck to you. Luckily, my boyfriend had to ask his mother how to make bacon, so I think I'm all set...