Don't marry a good cook!!

Options

Replies

• mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    yea, my wife bakes like there is no tomorrow, and awesome stuff, too. Hard to resist a slice (or two..or three) of fresh apple pie, however, she is understanding when I say no thanks.

I run on the treadmill 5x a week to fit a few of her baked goods into my meal plan.

I would communicate that you love her food, but a smaller portion is all you really are hungry for. I'm sure she will understand. Enjoy her cooking - just with smaller portions!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's much worse if they CAN'T cook! You may end up eating more takeout, prepared and packaged stuff.
  • willforbes
    willforbes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My wife is a good cook too. I have to make rules for myself. I measure my food by weight and cup size. Also I don't get seconds unless its vegetables and I have the calories for it. Portion size is key for me and its the hardest thing for me too.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try going grocery shopping with her,maybe you can ask her to modify the ingredients a bit =)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Just explain your goals to her and ask if she minds clening up her recipes for you. Tell her she's a good cook and you hate missing out on her meals because you want to lose weight.
  • speedracer2007
    speedracer2007 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Show her the MFP site & this post. If she truly supports your journey she should prepare foods that help you. Obviously she loves to cook... maybe take some cooking classes with her that focuses on good healthy foods.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Tell her to put her good cooking skills into cooking healthy lol. There's no reason why such talent has to be wasted on fattening foods.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If she is truely a good cook she can change the recipies to help with your weigh loss. Ask her about it.

Remember your goals are not anyone elses goals. You need to do whats right for you.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I'd try to cook healthy so I could lose weight and my husband would not eat it and would go order a pizza. When I cooked food I thought he would like (fatty, salty fried foods, ugh...) he would tell me I was trying to kill him. Luckily his last visit to the doctor opened his eyes and we are now both eating healthy and finding that while our food budget has increased, it is worth it. I agree with many above about discussing with her healthier foods to eat. Maybe get a few healthy cookbooks and go over them together to decide what looks good to both of you.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The better cook you are, the easier it is to make healthy meals that are just as good! I agree with the others, have a nice chat about your goals and how important this to you and, although you really love her food, you need to eat healthy.... and maybe have a time when you splurge now and again.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    haha My husband says the same things about me. Have you tried explaining that you love her and her cooking, but you're really trying to get fit so you need to eat less and healthier? Maybe you could sit down with her to meal plan for the week. Also, if a big breakfast on weekends is important to her, have it, but plan for it (in terms of calories). You can still enjoy her cooking and lose weight... really, she should understand that.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Tell her that "Food isn't love," "Love is love," and good cooks who love their families don't make them feel guilty about preserving their health.

Some people just can't be foodies and maintain their weight. I have people in my family who cook professionally or love interesting food and there's often a tension between them and me. But they're all overweight or obese with weight-related problems while I'm not. It's worth the conflict.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and I'm a pretty good one. That means its easier for me to make "bad" recipes healtheir. You can probably ask her to cut out some fats and carbs. Maybe she can jazz up the veggie sides too and you'll eat less of the calorie dense items.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is an amazing cook and has made me enjoy cooking and trying new healthy recipes.

On grocery day we sit down as a family and make a dinner plan for the week. We all eat so we all participate in the buying, preparing and cooking. My daughter is 14 and is becoming very attuned to making healthy choices.

I like the cookbook idea, buy one and chose a new healthier recipe together, pick a day that you are going to shop and cook together and then rave on to her about how much you enjoyed the quality time together and the new recipe.

I would think that she will be more than happy to continue if you participate as well.

Karen
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The better cook you are, the easier it is to make healthy meals that are just as good! I agree with the others, have a nice chat about your goals and how important this to you and, although you really love her food, you need to eat healthy.... and maybe have a time when you splurge now and again.

Ask her to challenge her skills by researching healthy alternatives. Good cooks don't need to rely on butter and salt for great results, although it may be more work and of course the ingredients have to be top quality.
  • shortiy2k2002
    Options
    I have the same problem, lol! However just explain what it is you are doing and it will be fine. You may even motivate her to jump on the bandwagon.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    On weekends she is always making a larger breakfast.
    First of all, she makes you breakfast??? I am sooooooo totally jealous!

Second, perhaps you could enlist her help coming up with delicious, healthy meals that will help you reach your fitness goal.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am not married, but it took my parents 29 years of marriage to figure out the healthy eating part. My mother is an excellent cook, but my father is a fitness-nut, so it was a challenge for both of them!! Definitely took them some patience, that's for sure!!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Appeal to her genius.

Tell her you need to lose weight, and her challenge is to use the usual blah food and make it taste as good as what she normally cooks.

Or ask her to substitute high fat meats/ingredients for lower calorie stuff. Make her work her magic on veggies/tofu etc in a way that's low fat/cal.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    On weekends she is always making a larger breakfast.
    First of all, she makes you breakfast??? I am sooooooo totally jealous!

Second, perhaps you could enlist her help coming up with delicious, healthy meals that will help you reach your fitness goal.

My husband is the one who likes to cook giant breakfast on the weekends. Pan cakes, sausage, bacon sausage gravy and biscuits, home made hashbrowns in the bacon grease.

I just make my own on the side and try to resist the rest. oatmeal, egg white omelettes and such. Its so hard sometimes.