I have a big butt. What exercises should I avoid?

Options
I've heard a doc on tv say that spinning can create a bigger tush. Any truth to that? Also, are there any other exercises to be avoided? I know most of the junk in my trunk is fat, just don't want to bulk up those muscles either. Thanks!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If your on a deficit you won't bulk up those muscles... also the "bulk" you refer to is fat. Lose that and you lose the bulk.

I also have a big butt, and mine only got smaller by walking on an incline, squats, lunges, leg press.. all those workout the glutes and make it look smaller and tighter.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

None. No exercise will make your butt bigger if you're eating at a defecit.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've heard a doc on tv say that spinning can create a bigger tush. Any truth to that? Also, are there any other exercises to be avoided? I know most of the junk in my trunk is fat, just don't want to bulk up those muscles either. Thanks!

Actually you do want to work those muscles, cause those muscles will torch the fat resulting in a leaner shaped sexy booty. Don't avoid anything!
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone avoiding certain exercises. Just do as much as possible and it'll go!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've heard a doc on tv say that spinning can create a bigger tush.

was the doc's name Oz?? sounds like somthing that quack would say. "don't spin, take these pills instead"
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    None, leave it like that! There are many including me who like that!
    Ok, jokes aside, you wont't gain anything if you are eating in deficit. Focussing on squats, lunges etc will give them good shape and make your more drool worthy!
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

lol you said what I was thinkin
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options

None. No exercise will make your butt bigger if you're eating at a defecit.

^^THIS! The only "wrong" exercise is one you can't stand.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Turn around and back it up. Let's take a gander at what we're talking about here.
  • cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Big bottom
    Big bottom
    Talking bout bun cakes
    my gal's got em
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    squats/lunges...
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've heard a doc on tv say that spinning can create a bigger tush.

was the doc's name Oz?? sounds like somthing that quack would say. "don't spin, take these pills instead"

THIS, I hate that dude!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Actually you do want to work those muscles, cause those muscles will torch the fat resulting in a leaner shaped sexy booty. Don't avoid anything!

This!

I thought the same thing. I had a nice big butt, and didn't think I needed to work it. And as I lost weight, it deflated. :frown: Nothing sadder than a droopy bum.

I've been busting my *kitten* (pun intended) with heavy strength training to get it back up where it belongs, and it's worked, but I wish I would have worked those muscles harder as I was losing fat. It's easier to keep muscle than it is to gain it.
  • doodles80
    doodles80 Posts: 59
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone avoiding certain exercises. Just do as much as possible and it'll go!

Bingo bango bongo.

"Just do it" as they say...
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Stairs! I too have a bigger bottom and when I tried stairmaster I noticed my jeans were not fitting like they once had. Running has been my secret to decreasing the size my butt / legs. I've recently added more lunges and squats to tone up the rear - not getting any bigger, just more firm now. But I still avoid stairmaster as my cardio!!

Everyone is different so find what works for you!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    What TO DO: Squats and lunges, side lunges, planks, just make sure you squeeze your butt... or spend like $5 and get one of Jillian Michael's videos. Some people hate her, but I did one session of Ripped in 30 and I'm sore two days later. x_x

EDIT: Oh yeah, and intervals on the stair machine for 20 minutes. I would go from speed 5 to speed 10 or 12, maintain that for a minute (or until I was gasping and crying) and then recover at speed 4 or 5 for a minute, then back to speed 10-12, rinse, repeat, until you're dripping sweat and your butt wants to run away. ♥
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    auroranflash- Being cheeky, can we see the proof!
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You guys are pretty funny! I am eating at a deficit and I do squats and lunges. I am maintaining, defining there, so I guess all is well. Thx for all the advice!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    auroranflash- Being cheeky, can we see the proof!

<-- proof