working out at work - alternatives for really hot days

Options
Hi Fitness Pals!

I've been walking with a co-worker of mine at lunch time - just around our building complex - takes us about 25 minutes. I've noticed it really makes a difference in my weight loss, energy and motivation.

The problem is that as it gets hotter - to the point where the weather channel warns us to stay inside - i'm wondering what we should do? We walked the steps for awhile (8 flights up) but my knees started hurting me.

Do you guys have any other ideas? Or should we just suck it up and sweat it out? :-P

Replies

• thewalrusisfree
    Options
    or when its raining?

sometimes i sneak wall push ups in the elevator or walk up the stairs. Looking around i bet my office would be big enough for a mini workout session lol
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    This would be good to know. I usually dont walk at lunch because, even if I change clothes, i still dot like the feeling in the afternoon sitting, eventho like you, it helps with the "journey"
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to come up with things too. I was walking at linch but now we are hitting the 100's and I don't want to get all stank lol. Great idea with the wall push ups. I am getting an excersize ball to replace my office chair, my cousin said it has helped her improve her posture and burn cals cuz you have to stay balanced and you can also do sit ups at your desk :smile: It also forces you to get up and move more because you cant just roll your chair around. I figure it cant hurt right? Good luck and I will deifinately be watching this thread for ideas. Thanks for the post
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can see that for Takoma Park MD, temperatures normally don't go above 90F for the next 2 months.

So I think that it should be ok for you to walk for 25 minutes.
    Just take normal precautions about lotions for skin protection against sun, etc.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm curious as to what answers or suggestions you get too. I walk the block at work during lunch - 1.67 miles.. but sometimes it is TOO hot and you're told to stay inside...

then what? i enjoy those walks.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to come up with things too. I was walking at linch but now we are hitting the 100's and I don't want to get all stank lol. Great idea with the wall push ups. I am getting an excersize ball to replace my office chair, my cousin said it has helped her improve her posture and burn cals cuz you have to stay balanced and you can also do sit ups at your desk :smile: It also forces you to get up and move more because you cant just roll your chair around. I figure it cant hurt right? Good luck and I will deifinately be watching this thread for ideas. Thanks for the post

I have been wanting to get an exercise ball for my desk too! I like the idea of laps around the office. The cubicle walls are high enough where I won't look too conspicuous.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    what i do, is "dance" in my seat to music i am listening to on headphones. really it's just swaying back and forth, but i also trying to stand up and sit down to get some movement in my back. if i had those pedals that i could put on the floor and pedal away while being on my computer, i would do that too. i am also very fidgety. i don't like sitting for long periods of time, so i will get up and walk around the department to visit co-workers or go to the bathroom.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Bring a suspension trainer to work like I do. Find a room you can have to yourself (could even be a utility closet) and throw the door anchor over it. Get to work. That's my main workout =)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Is there an indoor mall nearby? I don't know how long a lunch break you get, but the malls are ususally airconditioned and have multiple levels for a change in scenery.

You could also do squats and lunges at your desk.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of find a room to do your exercises in. Is there somewhere you can go and be alone? If so maybe you and the co-worker could do a dvd together.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I had a guy that used to have an exercise ball for a chair. I am thinking about getting one myself! :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Three words: "Cubicle Conga Line".

Works great, toasts off calories in an air-conditioned environment, and everyone loves to join a conga line.

Start a fun new fitness regimen at your workplace today.