How could I not see it sooner?!

Options
Guy's I'm SSSOOOO depressed! I've been having a rough time at work these past few weeks. One of my co-workers went off on me last week. She like, b***ch-slapped me verbally! I mean, I've never been spoken to like that by another person in my life! It brought me to tears. I've been devastated ever since. Well, last Friday, the school nurse asked me how much weight I've lost and I told her, etc., etc. I just said "Thank you. I'm trying." She said I was looking good. Fine, left it at that. Well, today I go into her office and (with people standing around) she says with a sarcastic tone, "Amy, did you lose more weight?!" I said, "What? since last Friday, I doubt it." and I laughed. She said, "Well, yeah, that's what I mean! I mean, you're ssssooooooooo skinny!" And she laughs with everyone. I didn't quiet get it and said thank you. I went back to my desk. Then it hit me what she was doing. So, glutten for punishment I guess, I went back through her office and said, "Hey, look, I've lost 2 pounds just walking back and forth from my desk!" She said, well, yeah, that's what I mean...you're losing ssssooo much weight." I mean, how do I take that!? I'm so f***** depressed!

Replies

• kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Girl...You've lost 40 pounds!!!! Be happy you've made it this far. Its a sad day when people can't be happy for others, but she maybe is just jealous. Even if she IS thin, she could just be jealous that someone can have the determination to set a goal and achieve it. People who aren't pleased with their own lives have a tendancy to try to put those who are happy down. Been in your shoes!

Be the bigger person and just walk away. She is trying to fuel the fire, get you angry and upset. Misery LOVES company! Be happy girl! 40 pounds is a HUGE achievement and I AM HAPPY FOR YOU!
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with kicklikeaGIRL. Concentrate on yourself! You've accomplished so much!

Keep your chin up and focus on your successes!!!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What a b***** maybe she's just jealous your losing weight. Don't take it to heart. You're doing a good job. Keep up the great work!
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Women can be so mean and jealous! Your weight loss maybe causing them some anxiety..jealousy, threats, don't sweat it girl..Sabatogers! Stay focused your doing this for you anyway not them! Next time express yourself to them.. Say hey
    I would like to know what you meant earlier and if it was a stab at me I don't appreciate it...if there is something you are trying to say to me then say it...stop the hinting around..just bring it to the light..." Girl don't be a doormat for anyone! Now don't go redneck on her or anything..stay calm, direct and to the point...Hope your week gets better!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Girl...You've lost 40 pounds!!!! Be happy you've made it this far. Its a sad day when people can't be happy for others, but she maybe is just jealous. Even if she IS thin, she could just be jealous that someone can have the determination to set a goal and achieve it. People who aren't pleased with their own lives have a tendancy to try to put those who are happy down. Been in your shoes!

Be the bigger person and just walk away. She is trying to fuel the fire, get you angry and upset. Misery LOVES company! Be happy girl! 40 pounds is a HUGE achievement and I AM HAPPY FOR YOU!

I agree these come from people who are usually overweight themselves and are jealous that you've been so deteremined and done so well.
    Keep up the good work.

Maybe you should bring in a dozen doughnuts for her ;)
  • kimberjones
    Options
    40 lbs is awesome!! Don't let her rob you of your joy in your accomplishment! Regardless of WHAT she meant just take it as a compliment that she was shocked and awed by your weight loss and use that as encouragement. My daughter has had a girl that constantly seems to take joy in harassing her. She says 'nice' things with a snide tone. I'll tell you what I tell her. Assume she is truly complimenting you and trying to be nice. Even if she's not, it's not hurting you if you look at it as a compliment! Hang in there. You've come SO far!! You are awesome!

(FYI - anyone would've been angry/hurt in that situation!)
    :flowerforyou:
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Hey, sweetie, I'm so sorry you are feeling so low. Your ticker says you've lost 40 pounds? That IS a lot of weight, and people can't help but notice. I have also lost around 40 pounds, and only recently have people started to say, "Wow, you are really losing weight, aren't you!" I take it as a compliment every time. In my job, I have a lot of people who don't like me that I have to interact with on a regular basis (I'm a lawyer), so when they finally (grudgingly) say, "how'd you lose all that weight?" I know that I'm really doing well. If people are commenting on your weight loss, they are admiring what you've done. I think you are just feeling low, so you are over-sensitive to what is probably genuine admiration. Keep in mind that you have worked hard and come a long way! You are strong and beautiful and people can't help but notice.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    All I can say is.....This person is a nurse? She, of all people, should know your weight loss is healthy. As long as you are within limits for height vs weight it shouldn't matter.

You could even ask her that next time she makes a comment.....Something like "Being a nurse I am sure you should know, or could help me look it up, what should be my target weight?" And, Ialso agree that calling her on it would be good too.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Do you think maybe you took it the wrong way? I guess there are worse things than being told you're getting skinny, so take it with a grain of salt. Try to be happy, and not let a couple of snarky co-workers bring you down too much.

Living well is the best revenge. :smile:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you and much love! My mind tells me to take it as a compliment by my heart and spirit still feel crushed. Although, I did come home kind of pissed and worked out a little harder...I know you all are right...it still hurts when people who you thought were your friends seem to be turning on you. I don't usually over-analyze anything but this really is getting to me. I'm out in the open and A LOT of people comment about how good I've been looking and I just say "Thanks! I'm sure trying!" Its so frustrating.

But anyway, thanks, my friends. You are all the reason I am an MFP'er forever! :drinker:

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I think when people are jealous they tend to try and make the person they are jealous of look bad in the eyes of others in hopes of making themselves look better.

Dont let her ruin your success.... you dont need people like that in your life
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow, she must be so threatened by you. You must have a gorgeous face and she is turning green with envy. Just walk away love, some people never have anything nice to say about or to anyone else, because their confindence level is so low. You just kill her with kindness and trust me, it will work on her and soon she will nothing left to say to you. Never stoop to her level and be proud of yourself. You are doing awesome.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You don't have to put up with that kind of nonsense from someone you work with. It's called "creating a hostile work environment" and since you have witnesses to her behavior, it could be grounds for a complaint to your Human Resources department. You know the corporate culture of your job better than I, so only you know whether a complain will rein her in. This "nurse" sounds like a real piece of work.

Don't let her b.s. get you down. Just keep on keepin' on.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: