Left over Calories

Options
I started On Wednesday Officially as I messed up the first two days...I have calories left over from 2 days which totals so far to 601...are we supposed to eat all the calories or is it okay to leave some left over..Im really confused
I am on the slim fast which says 1,400 cal a day..I am having weight watcher meals for dinner

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started On Wednesday Officially as I messed up the first two days...I have calories left over from 2 days which totals so far to 601...are we supposed to eat all the calories or is it okay to leave some left over..Im really confused
    I am on the slim fast which says 1,400 cal a day..I am having weight watcher meals for dinner

Too little calories can lead to a body to slow down your metabolism and plateau. You should start to add some healthy snacks on days you workout, such as nuts. Also, my issue with slim fast is that it's highly processed and loaded with carbs. There are much better alternatives.
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am asking the same question. But I think that I will find out that it is ok to have left over calories. From the situation I was in last evening, I burned 600 calories, according to the internet, in my High Intensity Interval Training. There for at 8pm I suddenly had up to 400 calories remaining. There was no way I was going to try to eat or stuff my face for the remaining calories ... but I did eat a small handful of nuts and a glass of milk, for protien, for good recovery. So with 400 calories remaining, I asume there's going to be good amount of fat burning happening. The food can be made up the following day with in the next day's calorie range (1200). Now if I had done my work out in the morning i may have had the time to fill up on the extra calories and been hungry enought for the extra caloric intake. But in the evening - it's a different story. Wish someone had some expert advice in this situation.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    IMO its ok to have leftover calories if you earned them from exercise. Otherwise you should try to fill them up.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    MMmm, its confusing about eating the cals you have burned, Ive always thought that cals burned would just make you lose weight more and eating them would be defeating the object of doing the work out but im not a nutritionalist, going to see one afterv my hols though so might have a better idea then. Yesterday i had more than 400 left due to burning over 500 but today, Ive had some pancakes and im already near my calorourie limits without the rest of the day. I know the body doesnt work from day to day and it accumulates the calouries, so hopefully the extra i didnt use yesterday will be good for today, hence the pancake treat lol.
  • :happy: I completely Agree with TZippy!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I try to get as close as possible and not have any left over. I eat back my excercise calories so if I find after dinner that I am way off (more than 200) I will have a scoop of PB or a hardboiled egg for the protein to keep me full all night. I find that works for me. If its less than 200 I let it ride as long as I am still over my BMR. However this week I have dinner out planned for tonight so I didn't eat those extra calories for the past 2 days because I KNOW I will be over tonight. It evens itself out.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would worry about is what will happen when you go back to eating real food. Everyone I know who has dieted with Slimfast and prepared foods gained all the weight back and more.
    I you Educate yourself on healthy eating and you will be able to do it forever. What ever you choose I wish you good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in eating prepackaged diet foods, only because it is not a permanent solution. Also, you want to re-focus a life changing habit, so I would recommend eating natural foods. They say it is best to do your grocery shopping on the outer edge of the store where all the fresh foods are usually placed. Not the frozen section. Hope you find what works for you, and best of luck.
  • snowqueen75
    snowqueen75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.I do not intend on staying on these.Just traiining myself to eat more and smaller portions. I am not hard exercising but only doing physio once a week as I have MS. But I do have a work out dvd that is for people with disability which I can do in my own time as I suffer badly with fatigue ;)