Can I get some help with my food please?

My Naturopath wants me to cut out diary, gluten, and soy for the next few weeks. I'm also mostly a vegetarian (I say mostly because I'll eat meat if I'm at someone's house for dinner so as not to offend them). She wants me to get in 90 grams of protein each day, but as you can see, I'm falling way short. I;m also hungry most of the day, which is probably due to the lack of protein. I started on Monday, if you're looking back at my diary history. At this point, I'm not sure I can make it 3 more weeks (how long she's asked me to do this). Any ideas how I can bump up my cals and protein? Thanks!

Replies

• FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Have you looked at vegan recipes? you would still need to look out for soy.

Eliminate pretty much all packaged foods; my daughter was dairy and soy free for a while (and still limited dairy and soy), it's hard to find packaged snacks that don't contain these, and I imagine adding gluten into the mix would make it even harder!

Someone told me that lentils and rice make a complete protein, so might be worth investigating that further too, if you haven't already.

I would probably be looking at eggs and nuts too. Some rice milk is protein enriched so that could help.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Eggs, beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, almond milk, nuts.

I don't know if you can get gluten-free / soy-free protein powder.

Good luck with it. Sounds tough to me :ohwell:
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    google
  • kimgravel
    kimgravel Posts: 32
    F4t2F1t - helpful, thanks.

Dee - that's a god thought. I'll see if I can find any protein powders that I'd be able to have. Thanks!

FixitDuck - there are pretty much no packaged foods out there that I can have right now, which is fine by me. I've been eating most of the things that you mentioned, so I guess I just need to start eating more of them.
  • danifuoco
    danifuoco Posts: 4
    A friend of mine is still on this diet for health reasons (no dairy/gluten/soy) but she's not a vegetarian. She can't eat factory farmed meat but she does partake in venison and other meats. If you're still wanting to avoid meat (I'm vegetarian so I understand) I would re-consider fish at least...if you can find wild caught fish that isn't farmed. Lentils, beans, quinoa, rice, potatoes, veggies are all good. Bragg's Liquid Aminos are gluten free and no calories (taste like Tamari) which is a pantry staple for us in flavoring food and it goes well with the food mentioned above. Nuts would also be important for protein and you could stock up on a variety of nut butters (almond, cashew, peanut, even sesame paste) or make your own.
    Peanut sauce is good for lots of dishes. I make this sauce about once a week for broccoli and tofu, but you can put it on anything:
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    2-3 tbsp Liquid Aminos
    1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp Siracha (or could use 1/2 tsp cayenne or something spicy to taste)
    about one cup of water to thin it all out and make it saucy
    I put all ingredients in a warm pan and combine, then toss in whatever veggies (already cooked) you're using.

Good Luck!