HELP!!! I've lost my mojo!

Options
jcstanton
jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
I know in my mind what I need to do, but for some reason my heart isn't in it lately. I don't know what happened. One week I was all jazzed up about working out, eating right, and losing weight, but, by Monday, I had lost my motivation. I'm just emotionally and mentally tired. I get up in the morning and pack my gym bag with the intention of going to the gym after work, then 5pm rolls around and I just have no energy. I've also noticed some of my old eating habits creeping back in. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now, and I woke up this morning feeling fatter than usual. I know that no one can make me do this except me. I just don't know what to do to energize myself emotionally. I just feel BLAH!

Replies

• jcstanton
    Options
    BUMP
  • laporter62
    laporter62 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i am hearing you sister, this is wear i also am at the moment. i just need a lot of self talk and to get over this cold and start refocusing. unfortunately no one can do it but you. i think that you need to have a target not too far away that gives you something to work towards.
    feel free to friend me if you wish
    i will check this message board tomorrow, take care my friend
  • jcstanton
    Options
    i am hearing you sister, this is wear i also am at the moment. i just need a lot of self talk and to get over this cold and start refocusing. unfortunately no one can do it but you. i think that you need to have a target not too far away that gives you something to work towards.
    feel free to friend me if you wish
    i will check this message board tomorrow, take care my friend

Thanks. Yeah, I know I'm the only one who can make me do the right thing. I just thought maybe somebody on here has had the same problem and might share some tricks they have used to pull themselves out of a funk.
  • kebrina1983
    Options
    Hey JC,

Don't forget what's important!
    You want to live a long, healthy and happy life.
    So pull yourself up by your bootstraps and fight, because your family needs you and we need on MFP also!
    Your Pal,
    K-
  • AmiAlcocer
    AmiAlcocer Posts: 18
    Options
    First off, you've lost 47 lbs!!! Congrats!!!!

I don't know what else you have going on in your life, but sometimes it helps to take a break from dieting and try to maintain for a while. If you calculate your maintenance calories, it's usually a bit more, and you won't gain the weight back. It's a nice little buffer to relax on eating a bit.

If it helps, I started this journey in January. By March, I'd lost 22lbs. Since then, I've maintained (going up & down the same 3 lbs). Like you, my motivation was gone. Right now, though, it's picking back up and I am going forward with lowering my calories, etc again. The last 3 months have been incredibly stressful, I had an incredibly hard class, my sister had her baby premature which brought up some issues from when I had my own preemie, etc etc etc. Making a lifestyle change is HARD. You need to be consciously picking the new behavior. That takes energy, energy I did not have at the time. Now that that class is over, I've worked through some of the emotions, a big chunk of my energy is free again to focus on keeping a calorie deficit/lifestyle change.

I guess, what I'm trying to say, is be gentle with yourself. It's not a race, it's a marathon. Sometimes taking a maintenance break slows down the timeline, but you need to do what you can so that you reach the finish line. It's better to do that than burn out and give up.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    First off, you've lost 47 lbs!!! Congrats!!!!

I don't know what else you have going on in your life, but sometimes it helps to take a break from dieting and try to maintain for a while. If you calculate your maintenance calories, it's usually a bit more, and you won't gain the weight back. It's a nice little buffer to relax on eating a bit.

If it helps, I started this journey in January. By March, I'd lost 22lbs. Since then, I've maintained (going up & down the same 3 lbs). Like you, my motivation was gone. Right now, though, it's picking back up and I am going forward with lowering my calories, etc again. The last 3 months have been incredibly stressful, I had an incredibly hard class, my sister had her baby premature which brought up some issues from when I had my own preemie, etc etc etc. Making a lifestyle change is HARD. You need to be consciously picking the new behavior. That takes energy, energy I did not have at the time. Now that that class is over, I've worked through some of the emotions, a big chunk of my energy is free again to focus on keeping a calorie deficit/lifestyle change.

I guess, what I'm trying to say, is be gentle with yourself. It's not a race, it's a marathon. Sometimes taking a maintenance break slows down the timeline, but you need to do what you can so that you reach the finish line. It's better to do that than burn out and give up.

Honestly, I think stress has alot to do with it. There isn't any one BIG issue that's causing stress, but there's a whole lot of smaller issues that are taking their toll on me mentally and emotionally. I'm hoping to go do some fun stuff this weekend to try and lift my spirits a little and help me to decompress. Guess it's time to go on a "shutterbugging" excursion. That always makes me feel better.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Hey JC,

Don't forget what's important!
    You want to live a long, healthy and happy life.
    So pull yourself up by your bootstraps and fight, because your family needs you and we need on MFP also!
    Your Pal,
    K-

Thanks for the encouragement. Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. LOL I just hate feeling so lethargic all the time.