Question about Sweet Potatoes

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
I have recently discovered that I LOVE :love: :heart: sweet potatoes. I buy the biggest ones I can find at Kroger and have been eating about half of one twice a week. I know they are better than regular, white potatoes, but what are the other benefits (or drawbacks) of eating them on a regular basis?

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    They are very healthy for you, full of vitamins and fiber! Some diets recommend that you don't eat them more than 3 times a week, but honestly if you love them and have a half to a full one each day I don't see a problem with it. They sure are yummy!:flowerforyou:
  • zero7one
    Options
    We just tried a recipe from the Biggest Loser cookbook for Sweet Potatoes. Take a 6oz Sweet Potato and microwave it for 5 minutes. Flip it over and microwave it for another 3. Cut it open and add a slice of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese. Awesome! Quick and easy.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are awesome!! They are so good for you and full of Vitamin A. They're good for your skin too. :bigsmile: I eat mine topped w/ cottage cheese & cinnamon. Yum!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are good for you! I like to bake one and top with black beans, a little salsa and a little greek yogurt. This makes a real easy take and go lunch. Keep the yogurt separate till after you warm it up.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hey LoLo I love sweet patatoes too. I had 1/2 of one last night and the other half for breakfast this morning.. I bet little Miss Lois would like them too.. I haveb't give any of mine uo to Sammy yet. I just know they are good for you. Keep eating them, I am. I like to baked mine in the oven the best. They are so good and geet carmalized. Don't need any sugar on them. See you later. Calie
  • PatB52
    PatB52 Posts: 65
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes too. You just need to watch what you add to them. Loading them down with butter and brown sugar is not good, but if you can eat them without adding junk, they are good for you.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Hey LoLo I love sweet patatoes too. I had 1/2 of one last night and the other half for breakfast this morning.. I bet little Miss Lois would like them too.. I haveb't give any of mine uo to Sammy yet. I just know they are good for you. Keep eating them, I am. I like to baked mine in the oven the best. They are so good and geet carmalized. Don't need any sugar on them. See you later. Calie

Oh yeah, Lolo loves them too, right off the fork!

I have only had them baked in the oven. I dont add anything to them either. With a white potato I would need sour cream and cheese to like it.

The beans and salsa sounds great! I dont know what greek yogurt is though?
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    LOLO. Greek yogurt is a creamy yogurt Thicker than regular yogurt. Quite good but a little more expensive than regular. Super Walmart sells a 4 pack in a smaller size. That I buy. It is a lot like sour cream and is low in sodium, carbs and calories. The one I buy is Okios and super Target has fage. It is wonderful with fresh fruit.I buy it plain and add a little sugar to it. sammy says good night to LOLO. Sammy sleeps by hiself on the couch at night and we keep his blanket for him to cover up under. And he can get under it without any problems. He don't like a cold nose. Calie
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    LOLO. Greek yogurt is a creamy yogurt Thicker than regular yogurt. Quite good but a little more expensive than regular. Super Walmart sells a 4 pack in a smaller size. That I buy. It is a lot like sour cream and is low in sodium, carbs and calories. The one I buy is Okios and super Target has fage. It is wonderful with fresh fruit.I buy it plain and add a little sugar to it. sammy says good night to LOLO. Sammy sleeps by hiself on the couch at night and we keep his blanket for him to cover up under. And he can get under it without any problems. He don't like a cold nose. Calie

I see a lot of people talking about Greek Yogurt. I'll check it out. :wink:

Lolo is outside barking right now... I better go let her in!
  • fitnessfille
    Options
    I bake my sweet potatoes and then top them off with either yogurt, cottage cheese, or eat then plain! I could eat them for every meal of the day :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I cubed a couple and put 'em in a steamer bag and nuked them a couple nights ago. Mrs. liked it just like that, but I needed a little brown sugar. Not enough to ruin, just a little sweet. The spuds weren't very sweet.

Next time maybe try a little honey instead. :smile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I cubed a couple and put 'em in a steamer bag and nuked them a couple nights ago. Mrs. liked it just like that, but I needed a little brown sugar. Not enough to ruin, just a little sweet. The spuds weren't very sweet.

Try some pure grade B maple syrup drizzled over them. MMmmmmm, that sounds so good right now! I suppose I will be having that for dinner tomorrow.:tongue:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    YUMMMMM!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like adding Club House Cajun spices to mine after nuking them in the microwave or baking them. Adds lots of flavor with little calories.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I was wondering if I could put one in the steamer bag. All I have to do is peel and cube then steam?
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    I LOVE cutting mine into "fries" and seasoning them with some Cajun seasoning. SOOOO good. I have never been able to crisp them up, but they are still good.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cutting mine into "fries" and seasoning them with some Cajun seasoning. SOOOO good. I have never been able to crisp them up, but they are still good.

To crisp them up spread egg whites on them before adding your spices. They don't get as crispy as if you were to deep fry them but pretty close.