fitbit website verse MFP?

Options
I just got a fitbit and it looks like they have a really similar website to MFP. What do people think that have a fitbit, which website is better to use?

Replies

• dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use both sites since they communicate with each other. The food log is a lot better on MFP. I like the Fitbit site because it keeps traks of steps and stairs. I have only had my Fitbit for about 2 or 3 weeks and love it.
  • micheeks
    micheeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You would want to sync the FitBit to MFP...that way you don't have to enter your information twice (food entries). I am happy they are now syncable to one another. Wishing you much success with using both. ;)

Look under gallery on FitBit on how to sync.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    honestly, when I had my fitbit, if the 2 websites were talking well together I would have logged on MFP because it's a larger database (they could be the same now, I haven't used FitBit in well over 6 months) and it's much easier to log.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    FitBit's site gives a much more realistic calorie burn for activities than here I think but I prefer to log everything here where my friends are so I use FB's site just to calculate the amounts to enter here for swimming etc. and any walking comes over as a daily adjustment.
  • rman1971
    rman1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for over a year, and got my fitbit just this last Feb. If you sync your fitbit to MFP, the info should move across easily, in some cases both ways. I only log in MFP, and my calories and exercises show up on Fitbit's site. i don't feel that i need to spend my day logging.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have used both, and i now only use MFP. The fitbit site does have more flexibility on the exercise functions, but i think the MFP food data is way better. Besides the two sites are linked now so everything you put into MFP gets auto-logged into FB. But i only use or look at the MFP usually, the other one just becomes redundant.
  • ChunkyChickn
    ChunkyChickn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my FitBit! Friend me on there if you wish -- same username.

I personally like the MFP website better to track my food. I love the phone App and you can link your FB account to MFP and it will automatically adjust your exercise calories on both sites.

The MFP log also has a better food database than the FB site.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I log food on MFP, and exercise on FitBit. I've observed that when I log exercise on MFP, it seems to tell me to eat more calories in the day for some reason, and I'd rather err on the side of eating slightly less.

You could just skip MFP entirely, but the food database is pretty great, and the MFP phone app with the barcode scanner is very handy as well.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You may have to enter weight changes in both places - other than that avoid entering twice - you will get wrong totals

I use MFP for all food, and FitBit for all exercise. Let FitBit do its stuff for most of the day and enter overides for the exact time you do non-walking activity like weight lifting and cycling.
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    ALL OF THE ABOVE :happy: I only log on MFP and because I have them synched fitbit adjusts automaticaly on MFP....love my fitbit :tongue:
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the "all of the above" above :D
    FYI: I don't use the MFP calorie-values for exercise. My HRM typically gives me numbers about 1/2 of the MFP site, so I use that insetead.

The two sites (MFP and FB) do differ a bit ... MFP will say I'm 150 calories under, FB says I'm 150 calories over ... but since a deficit of 600-700 is built in to each day already, and since it's all "best guess", it's close enough for me to not spend a lot of time being concerned with it.
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    I log food and exercise on MFP, the MFP food database is bigger, and the mobile version is good. I log my daily weight on FitBit because it's the one area that doesn't sync to MFP -- because daily weight updates on MFP is too much. I just like to track daily for me (I'm a bit of a data wonk).

And the data wonk in me LOVEs the reports on FitBit -- different details, especially about my daily movement patterns.

I like the way the social interaction works better on MFP, so I use it's interaction piece.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Food wise and companionship mfp is better. Calories burned walking and the like is better on fitbit. More accurate
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    Only downside is that the Fitbit site you can't send messages to your friends :( other than that both sites rock
  • Lsadlier77
    Lsadlier77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my fitbit!!! I log all my food on here and if I do any running I use the stopwatch facility on the fitbit and it will give me stats on how far I have run and how fast. It's brilliant the way it syncs so I don't have to log twice. I love the graphs and logs and how you can compare how you have done week to week. I have also found it motivates me to move about more....I too am a data junkie I love facts and figures....maybe it is the accountant in me !?! :laugh:
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for over a year, and got my fitbit just this last Feb. If you sync your fitbit to MFP, the info should move across easily, in some cases both ways. I only log in MFP, and my calories and exercises show up on Fitbit's site. i don't feel that i need to spend my day logging.

Same for me - occasionally, I'll log my non-walking exercise on Fitbit because I can find a more accurate option in their database.
  • naomis10
    naomis10 Posts: 3
    Options
    How do you sync fitbit with MFP?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This should help you link it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/fitbit