Calling all Vegetarians!

Options
so recently after watching The Cove (an amazing documentary about the dolphin slaughtering business in Japan) i decided to go vegetarian. The only problem is I am sometimes at a loss for things to eat!

Please help!

I know that this will be really good for me if I substitute healthy options for meat but I need advice! Thanks(:

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There are some really great vegetarian groups on here, if you want to search under "Groups" you'll find plenty of info :)
  • highoncouture
    highoncouture Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks so much(:
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    follow me and look at my diary for food options. I recently started a vegan diet as per my nutritionist. No meat and not dairy. So far its been good and I lost 5lbs with it. It def broke my plateu and I feel lighter, happier and healthier :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    so recently after watching The Cove (an amazing documentary about the dolphin slaughtering business in Japan) i decided to go vegetarian. The only problem is I am sometimes at a loss for things to eat!

Please help!

I know that this will be really good for me if I substitute healthy options for meat but I need advice! Thanks(:

Check us out here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    1123040978.jpg
    Heh, I had to.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    there are so many protein substitutes now-a-days that make it easy as microwaving to be a vegetarian. some vegs like it some don't. there is division within the ranks on that end but you decide. These are readily available in supermarkets.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my bf is a vegetarian (25 years); therefore, I am mostly vegetarian. you're welcome to peek in at my diary if it is helpful to you.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Please help!

After I watched that I stopped eating dolphin. I hope they don't come out with "the farm" cause I'd be screwed.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I bought lean turkey burgers last night. On the package its said "Great for vegetarians". I was kinda confused about that lol. btw I'm not a vegetarian just thought that was odd.
  • highoncouture
    highoncouture Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    haha well they have some really eye opening videos on the cruel treatment of farm animals on the peta website. but i cried my way through the cove. it was so heartwrenching.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    **I am not a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, but I make these all the time and they're great! ....and freeze well! Annnnnd they're gluten free!**

Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

Serves 8

½ cup quinoa
    1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
    6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped (¼ cup)
    1 ½ cups cooked black beans, or 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
    2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.) <-- I use roasted garlic cloves, YUM
    2 tsp. dried steak seasoning <---You can season them however you like ... I usually don't use steak seasoning, but whatever I feel like adding!

1. Stir together quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water in small saucepan, and season with salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. (You should have 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa.)

2. Meanwhile, place onion and sun-dried tomatoes in medium nonstick skillet, and cook over medium heat. (The oil left on the tomatoes should be enough to sauté the onion.) Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion has softened. Stir in 3/4 cup black beans, garlic, steak seasoning, and 11/2 cups water. Simmer 9 to 11 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.

3. Transfer bean-onion mixture to food processor, add 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining 3/4 cup quinoa and remaining 3/4 cup black beans. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and cool.

4. Preheat oven to 350°F, and generously coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape bean mixture into 8 patties (1/2 cup each), and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, or until patties are crisp on top. Flip patties with spatula, and bake 10 minutes more, or until both sides are crisp and brown.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/black-bean-quinoa-burgers/
  • lonirrt
    lonirrt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you take a look at "forks over knives" and the "China Study" you will never eat meat again
    We have been vegetarian now for a bit and love the change
  • lumayaa
    lumayaa Posts: 19
    Options
    all vegan/vegetarians please add me! I need to stalk more veggie lovers intakes haha