Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

P90X Help Please :)

Hey everyone! I am starting either P90 or P90X soon, but I am unsure which one I should choose! I am pretty active and go to a 100 minute hot yoga class every day, so I am strong, but I don't want to tire myself out too much by jumping right into P90X.

I want big results, but I also want to be able to stick with it! Anyone have advice on which program to start with? Any ladies see big results with just P90?

I really appreciate your time! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Hey everyone! I am starting either P90 or P90X soon, but I am unsure which one I should choose! I am pretty active and go to a 100 minute hot yoga class every day, so I am strong, but I don't want to tire myself out too much by jumping right into P90X.

I want big results, but I also want to be able to stick with it! Anyone have advice on which program to start with? Any ladies see big results with just P90?

I really appreciate your time! :flowerforyou:

Either or would be good for you. p90 is great for weight loss, and was out before p90x. with p90x there are 3 different schedules you can follow, classic, doubles, and lean. if you got with lean its more so cardio then all the jumping, so that may be the right option for you. I am a beachbody coach, and one of my friends is doing p90 and getting great results! if you need anything, let me know!
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Awesome! I think I will go with P90X on the lean track. Thanks so much!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    P90X can be modified to suit almost any fitness level (provided you're working with bands and not the typical combination of free weights/pullup bar). There are three schedules you can follow: Classic, Doubles, and Lean. You do all the workouts included in both tracks, with the only difference being that when doing the Lean version you do month 3 of the program and work your way backwards. So what someone doing classic will do for Month 3 is your Month 1 and their Month 1 is your Month 3. You won't see much of a difference between the two schedules unless you follow the accompanying nutrition plan and adjust it accordingly. The main difference is this:

Month 1 of the classic phase focuses on muscle building while Month 3 focuses on getting lean and burning fat. The reason the Lean phase does things in reverse is because when you start out on the fat burning phase and then progress with the muscle building phase after you finish that, you're less likely to build muscle mass (which most women don't want to do) since you're already at a lower BF% when you start focusing more on that. Of course this comes at the cost of not seeing as much gains to strength and overall functional fitness levels but everything comes with a caveat. But as I said if you're not using the accompanying nutrition plan and adjusting it accordingly it won't matter much which workout schedule you follow.
  • CaraColleen
    Awesome advice! I was wondering what the lean track did differently than cardio. Have you found much success with P90X?
  • contingencyplan
    Personally no. I did a round of Classic P90X and I lost a lot of body fat and improved the way I looked but the program overall left me disappointed because I wasn't any more athletically capable than when I started. Changing the way you look is fine and dandy and all, but I wanted something functional to show for it. I figured going through with the program would make me stronger, faster, overall put me in a better position to adopt athletic hobbies than I was when I started. It did no such thing. The changes my body went through were purely visual and that left me very disappointed.

The cardio between lean and classic phases is actually the same. It just seems like more when you go through the program backwards (which is what the Lean schedule is) because month 3 places the highest emphasis on cardio while month 1 places the lowest. With lean you're jumping right into month 3 so it seems like more.
  • hteapot
    hteapot Posts: 29 Member
    Awesome advice! I was wondering what the lean track did differently than cardio. Have you found much success with P90X?

I am not sure what you mean here, but I did the P90X Lean for 6 weeks and I saw a pretty substantial change in my waistline and in my legs. I only did it for 6 weeks due to things coming up in life, but I will definitely be doing it again in the near future.

Good luck to you!
  • contingencyplan
    My problem was that I was using P90X for all the wrong reasons. I wasn't trying to achieve visual results or lose weight (even though I had a fair amount of fat to lose). I was attempting to use P90X as a stepping stone to transition from a relatively sedentary lifestyle to an overall active/athletic one. And in that regard I would have to say there is no video series or video workout that will do the job. There's a lot of out of the box thinking that goes into how professional athletes train and if you want to achieve the functional benefits that they do you have to train in ways no video series will instruct you.

Maybe it's just me and I'm not a candidate for these "total body transformation" programs but I'd rather be a 300 lb fat man who happened to be able to run like a cheetah, strong as a bull, and never tire (if such a thing were possible) than a thin, fit LOOKING person who wasn't athletically capable. How I look in the mirror means absolutely nothing to me when I have nothing functional to show for it.
  • CaraColleen
    Ok that makes sense Contingency. Good luck finding your athletic stepping stone (if you haven't already!). I would just be doing this mostly for the visual aspects, so in a way your comment encouraged me to do it! Have to look good for bikini season haha.

And TeaPot, awesome!!! I hope to find the same success that you did! I really need to slim done and tone a bit!