Just getting started

Options
Hello Everyone :-)

Today started my journey to a BETTER ME! I was able to force myself to eat a little breakfast and I was able to get through a 30 minute cardio workout (yay me), but as soon as I get excited for that small feat, I down myself because I feel like 30 minutes isn't enough. I kind of feel like I could have done more. I know it's just the negativity trying to get into my head, but I'm trying to shut it out and still feel proud of the fact that I'm trying to do something instead of NOTHING!

When you all started out, how much did you work out and for how long? Am I starting off too slow? Thanks in advance guys (Feel free to add me) :happy:

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is great! 30 minutes of anything is better than 30 minutes of doing nothing! Getting started is the hardest part.

I have read that it takes 21 times to start making something a habit, and 6 months to make it a commitment. Good luck to you!
  • sting8989
    sting8989 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I began I decided to focus on one thing at a time. I've been doing this for 6 weeks and just recently started exercising. For me it is hard to just flip a switch and change my diet, start exerciser, and just get to the general mind set of losing the pounds. I have tried many diets and exercise programs and most are full bore the first day and I believe causes your body and mind to go into shock. This time around I decided to take it slow one step at a time.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for two years and I still do about 30 mins of hard excercise a day.

Keep with it! You're lapping EVERYONE on the couch. You'd be surprised with the results you can see from 30 mins a day + improved diet.

Good luck :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's all about sticking with it long term. You are right to take it slow and steady. Welcome and Good luck:drinker:
  • keysha00
    keysha00 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am also just getting started lol AGAIN, and no 30 is great. If you aint moving you aint loosing lol. 30 is a huge difference and i applaud you keep up the good work!.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is a great starting point! As long as you're moving and active it's fine. Good luck on your journey :happy:
  • akrunnergirl5
    Options
    You're off to a great start! Consistency over time will win the race! Do your 30 minutes whenever you do it, and after a while, you'll want to increase the intensity or time by even a few minutes. For me, sometimes it's 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. But hang in there! You can do this! Atta Girl! Keep it up!
  • ladyace15
    ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind and encouraging words you all, it means more to me than you will ever know! I am DETERMINED and I want this change, I DESERVE this change! With you all by my side, I'm sure we all can make it TOGETHER :wink:
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this site...I have been on here for over a year, even though my profile says otherwise(its a long story). I have lost 56 pounds with the help of the people on here, so I have no doubt you will do this. 30 minutes of exercise is great, especially starting out. Get the eating part down, which is a major part of this lifestyle, and exercise will make it even better. I usually don't do over 45 minutes at a time, but that is what I prefer, I work out hard those 45 minutes and thats what counts. Some days I do more, if I feel like doing so. Focus on making this a habit, and if you decide to do more some days and just 30 on others great, thats your choice, at least you are moving.....Good luck!!!
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There are so many people here on a similar journey and you will find that there is tons of support to help you reach your goals! If you want to be a BETTER YOU then this is a life change, not a temporary diet plan. Everyone is right, you're already lapping all the people still on the couch and 30 minutes of daily exercise is a great start!! Just remember to set realistic goals, set lots of little milestones so you can celebrate those successes along the way, and remember that nobody is perfect so if you have an off day, you get to start over when the sun comes up the next day. Congrats on committing to the challenge of changing your life!
  • ladyace15
    ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! A lifestyle change is a MUST for me! I would like to get rid of this high blood pressure along with the excess weight and it seems that there are very friendly people on here that will stick by your side and give you the support that you need! That is exactly what I am going to need to keep me focused and motivated! You all ROCK
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I started with 20 minute walks. I'm now doing 50 minutes at a very brisk pace. Just start with what you are comfortable with, and then start pushing yourself a bit more when you gain your confidence. Good luck, you can do it!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Something is better than nothing - always.

You did 30 mins today and that's great, keep it up! Keep going this week, then next week, maybe add 10 mins.

A friend of mine always says, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Something is better than nothing - always.

You did 30 mins today and that's great, keep it up! Keep going this week, then next week, maybe add 10 mins.

A friend of mine always says, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

^^^
    That quote is awesome!!!