Any suggestions? A month in and NOTHING is happening.

Options

Replies

• Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Make a goal to start cooking at home if you can (even if it's a big cooking spree on Sunday and leftovers the rest of the week). If you *really* can't do that, or you need time to adjust and can't just switch cold turkey, start picking different restaurants. Instead of Taco Bell, go to Chipotle (where you can actually see them cooking the whole cuts of steak or chicken or pork). Instead of Chick-Fil-A or Arby's, go to Subway. Things like that.

It looks like you do great on the weekends, but your weeks may seem too busy for cooking, so I'd try the cook on Sunday thing and do leftovers for the weekday meals.
    Believe it or not, this is "cooking at home a lot" for me! haha We've cut back a lot on how often we eat dinner out. Lunch is still an issue because I have a 2 year old in pre-school and I work while he's in school. I will try to cook more on the weekends- that's a great idea!

Unfortunately, we don't have a Chipotle- I wish! haha I guess I was just falling for the advertising- I thought that a grilled chicken sandwich at Chick Fil A was a healthy option and that the fresco tacos at Taco Bell were too!

Thanks for the advice!

No offense but WHY is it a problem that you work while your two year is in school and thats why lunch is a problem for you? BRING YOUR LUNCH! First off, its healthier as you know what you are eating and two, its CHEAPER!

One problem is making the time to get the food together while getting the baby's food together. Also, having a 2-yr old PERIOD is a lot of time and wanting to make sure you spend time with him/her AND also making time for yourself AND making time for the fmialy, etc. TIME, in general is the problem. The healthiest way to Bring Your Lunch is to make/cook something instead of having a pre-packaged meal. And, to do that, you have to pre-cook. Sometimes, the time to do that just isnt there.

My husband and I BOTh work 40 hours a week, plus I clean my office for another 2 hours a week AND, my husband delivers newspapers on the weekends. SO, with having to fit in all the household duties when the little one is sleeping and trying to spend as much time with them as possible, time gets away from you with TRYING to cook for lunches. Something to work, YES. But something that is NOT easy. :ohwell:

I'm a single mom (the father is NOT around, so I don't get "time off"), I work, and I go to school full time, even now that it's summer. I still find time to cook healthy meals.

There are no excuses when you need to lose weight. You either take the necessary steps, or you don't.
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    Make a goal to start cooking at home if you can (even if it's a big cooking spree on Sunday and leftovers the rest of the week). If you *really* can't do that, or you need time to adjust and can't just switch cold turkey, start picking different restaurants. Instead of Taco Bell, go to Chipotle (where you can actually see them cooking the whole cuts of steak or chicken or pork). Instead of Chick-Fil-A or Arby's, go to Subway. Things like that.

It looks like you do great on the weekends, but your weeks may seem too busy for cooking, so I'd try the cook on Sunday thing and do leftovers for the weekday meals.
    Believe it or not, this is "cooking at home a lot" for me! haha We've cut back a lot on how often we eat dinner out. Lunch is still an issue because I have a 2 year old in pre-school and I work while he's in school. I will try to cook more on the weekends- that's a great idea!

Unfortunately, we don't have a Chipotle- I wish! haha I guess I was just falling for the advertising- I thought that a grilled chicken sandwich at Chick Fil A was a healthy option and that the fresco tacos at Taco Bell were too!

Thanks for the advice!

No offense but WHY is it a problem that you work while your two year is in school and thats why lunch is a problem for you? BRING YOUR LUNCH! First off, its healthier as you know what you are eating and two, its CHEAPER!

Because it is a HABIT for us to leave school/work at noon and meet up with his friends for playdates at Chick Fil A, etc.

I have three kids, so I understand playdates at fast food restaurant, especially around here where temps are already in the triple digits. I eat before I go and then order a HUGE diet coke. Don't harp. It's my 'downfall'. Anyway, I've lost 100 lbs with these habits, so it's worth a try.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Try cleaning up what you eat. You eat out a TON, and at places that are notorious for high-calorie, low nutritional value, and high saturated fat foods.

Also, as others have said, add in some strength training. Cardio generally only works while you're doing it, but strength training not only has the "afterburn" effect (ie - you don't burn quite as much while actively training, but you continue to burn calories for many hours after, as your body repairs), but adding muscle helps keep your metabolism up, meaning you burn more calories while doing any activity (even sitting), than your less-muscled self.

Finally, don't just look at the scale, and make sure you don't get hung up on the number (especially if you start strength training). Keep track of it so you get a trend, but don't worry about the individual numbers. Get a tailor's measuring tape and take measurements. Look at how your clothes are fitting differently. What I like to do is get a pair of pants that are snug to tight and use them as my "goal/NSV" pants (I tend to wear loose clothing, so this helps me see changes when the scale isn't moving).

What she said.
    And vegetables are a good thing, they don't bite!! I'd suggest eating less processed prepared fast food. While it may meet your calorie requirements that food lacks in any sort of nutrients. Just basically fat and lousy (fiberless) carbs.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options

Thanks for the advice!

One problem is making the time to get the food together while getting the baby's food together. Also, having a 2-yr old PERIOD is a lot of time and wanting to make sure you spend time with him/her AND also making time for yourself AND making time for the fmialy, etc. TIME, in general is the problem. The healthiest way to Bring Your Lunch is to make/cook something instead of having a pre-packaged meal. And, to do that, you have to pre-cook. Sometimes, the time to do that just isnt there.

My husband and I BOTh work 40 hours a week, plus I clean my office for another 2 hours a week AND, my husband delivers newspapers on the weekends. SO, with having to fit in all the household duties when the little one is sleeping and trying to spend as much time with them as possible, time gets away from you with TRYING to cook for lunches. Something to work, YES. But something that is NOT easy. :ohwell:

I'm a single mom (the father is NOT around, so I don't get "time off"), I work, and I go to school full time, even now that it's summer. I still find time to cook healthy meals.

There are no excuses when you need to lose weight. You either take the necessary steps, or you don't.

You are my hero!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I have three kids, so I understand playdates at fast food restaurant, especially around here where temps are already in the triple digits. I eat before I go and then order a HUGE diet coke. Don't harp. It's my 'downfall'. Anyway, I've lost 100 lbs with these habits, so it's worth a try.

Diet Pepsi is my one vice. Yes there are better options but given all the exercise I do and all the crap I no longer eat, i'm good with it. At 43 I'm in better shape that any other time in my life. Way to go on the weight loss!!!!!!!!

Tim
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    Ok, I just looked at your diary and WOW... absolutely correct on those posts regarding way too much fast food! You have some meals that are between 800 and 1100 calories a meal! Just because you may exercise doesn't open the door to eat poorly!

I really wish you luck! You need to make up your mind to change these things! The only person that can change it is YOU!
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    I see that others have commented on the same observation as I am making, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. All calories are NOT created equally. You need to educate yourself on macronutrients and how they are used by your body to fuel your day. First off, you are not eating enough calories in a day to allow for your body to even do its basic functions. Secondly, you are not eating frequently enough. When you eat the garbage that you are putting into your body three times a day, all your body does is stores it as fat because there is nothing of value in the food you are consuming. CLEAN IT UP or quit expecting your body to change. That is brutal honesty, but sometimes we need it. I'm speaking from experience. ;-) Try eating every three hours with 30 grams of CLEAN AND LEAN protein with every meal. Chicken, turkey, egg whites, etc. Aim for 200-300 calories per meal. You will never be hungry if you eat clean. You will have a lot of food every three hours that will keep you full, yet encourage your body to release fat stores. When your body doesn't get constant refueling throughout the day so it can perform even the involuntary functions like digestion, breathing, and pumping blood, it will horde everything it can and store it as fat to use at a later time because it thinks it is in starvation mode. You CAN do this, but you need to make real changes if you want results. I believe in you!!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    what exactly are you eating? If you are not eating enough it wont come off.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I see that others have commented on the same observation as I am making, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. All calories are NOT created equally. You need to educate yourself on macronutrients and how they are used by your body to fuel your day. First off, you are not eating enough calories in a day to allow for your body to even do its basic functions. Secondly, you are not eating frequently enough. When you eat the garbage that you are putting into your body three times a day, all your body does is stores it as fat because there is nothing of value in the food you are consuming. CLEAN IT UP or quit expecting your body to change. That is brutal honesty, but sometimes we need it. I'm speaking from experience. ;-) Try eating every three hours with 30 grams of CLEAN AND LEAN protein with every meal. Chicken, turkey, egg whites, etc. Aim for 200-300 calories per meal. You will never be hungry if you eat clean. You will have a lot of food every three hours that will keep you full, yet encourage your body to release fat stores. When your body doesn't get constant refueling throughout the day so it can perform even the involuntary functions like digestion, breathing, and pumping blood, it will horde everything it can and store it as fat to use at a later time because it thinks it is in starvation mode. You CAN do this, but you need to make real changes if you want results. I believe in you!!
    I wont get into a debate here, but you absolutely do not need to eat every 3 hours, this is bro science.
    However the other points you have made, is sound advice :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The trick about going out and eating the healthier option is knowing what the healthier option is. For example, a restaurant omlette is always cooked with more fat than a homemade omelette. Oftentimes, the "healthy" option at a fast food place is less healthy. For example, Wendy's mandarin chicken salad has more calories, fat, sugar, and carbohydrates than Wendy's double stack cheeseburger!

Some things you can do are a) order salads without dressing and fried stuff, b) avoid rolls and butter, c) ask questions about how food is prepared, d) go for lean meats, like turkey and chicken breast.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I feel bad for you! It SUCKS to work out a lot, try harder, make some changes, and see no results but gaining weight. That is crappy, and Im sure it did not make you feel all that great.

Dont let it dishearten you. Thankfully, youll live, and sounds like youve already made some good changes.
    I agree with most of the people on here. I didnt check what youre eating but if you have high fat/carbs/sodium then that is most likely the issue.

For one: I dont go by the scale, I go by pant size (ie: these pants are too small for me, I will try and FIT into them) or measurements.

Another thing: Drink LOADS of water to clean out that sodium if it still is a tad bit high.
    Definitely incorporate muscle work, mild lifting can make a HUGE difference.

If youre short on time, I HIGHLY recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred. You have no excuse! Its just 30 minutes (technically only 24 mins) and has strength training, abs and cardio. Do that daily with you walking and cardio and you should be seeing some changes.

About the fast food places, I would seriously just NOT go. If you do, literally get a salad, add a small amount of vinegar or a small dash of salt and pepper and call it day.

Anywhere you go out to eat, its "safest" to get salads. And when people say eating "clean" they mean veggies/fruits/lean lean meats and loads of water.

I wish you luck!!

EDIT: When I say salads I also mean with no pre packaged dressing, etc.
  • jacksonde24
    jacksonde24 Posts: 103
    Options
    I had the same problem but I had really take a look at what I'm eating. I up and down on my weight. Make sure that you don't go over in sodium and drink lots of water. I had to really pay attention to and meet my daily goals. It's so crazy that you work so hard with exercising but that's only a small percentage for weight loss. Also, don't do all cardio, add in resistance training as well. :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try cleaning up what you eat. You eat out a TON, and at places that are notorious for high-calorie, low nutritional value, and high saturated fat foods.

Also, as others have said, add in some strength training. Cardio generally only works while you're doing it, but strength training not only has the "afterburn" effect (ie - you don't burn quite as much while actively training, but you continue to burn calories for many hours after, as your body repairs), but adding muscle helps keep your metabolism up, meaning you burn more calories while doing any activity (even sitting), than your less-muscled self.

Finally, don't just look at the scale, and make sure you don't get hung up on the number (especially if you start strength training). Keep track of it so you get a trend, but don't worry about the individual numbers. Get a tailor's measuring tape and take measurements. Look at how your clothes are fitting differently. What I like to do is get a pair of pants that are snug to tight and use them as my "goal/NSV" pants (I tend to wear loose clothing, so this helps me see changes when the scale isn't moving).

I second this. You are going to have to eat MUCH cleaner.
    I third this and get a food scale it helps keep you honest.
  • laurakdp
    laurakdp Posts: 15 Member
    Options

You need to make up your mind to change these things!

For the record, your comments aren't terribly helpful or insightful, just condescending.

I HAVE made up my mind to change things (I'm on here tracking daily and in the gym 5 times/week for 400+ calorie workouts), I'm just not sure yet what works best. I am learning and already doing a lot better than I was 3 months ago- it is a work in progress.

To everyone with helpful information- thank you for your insight. I will try the 1 month with no fast food, and I like the idea about eating before a playdate at Chick Fil A and just getting a diet lemonade or fruit cup.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too many or too few calories or you could be gaining muscle and slimming down. Take measurements and use that in addition to the scale
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Can y'all define "clean"? The taco bell and chick fil a this week weren't my finest hour, but if you look back further we've been doing a lot of grilled chicken and veggies, pita chips and avocado as a snack- aren't those things good?

Also, MFP keeps telling me that I'm going over on protein, but y'all are saying there's not enough?

And in this thread alone, I've had one person say eat your exercise calories and one person say don't! :) I thought you SHOULD?

Sorry for all the questions- I've used MFP successfully before but I don't guess I did it "right"!

Clean eating is non-processed foods. Basically if it comes in a box or package it is not clean (ie crackers, cookies). So someone who eats clean eats lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc. I aim for smarter choices and healtheir foods, but I don't think I could ever eat 100% clean (or 70% for that matter).

Yes you should eat your exercise calories back. That is HUGELY debated here but it is the way MFP is set up. People can do what they choose to do, but I don't understand how they can argue that you shouldn't eat them back when clearly the program sets it up for you to eat them back. Eating back E calories does NOT make you gain weight and it does NOT make you maintaine your current weight (a very common misconception I've seen spread through the boards).

I have never really eaten back my exercise calories and have managed to lose 50 pounds since January, i'm on my feet all day and also exercise every day and there is no way im gonna eat over 1500 extra calories because i have burnt them off. I think it is personally up to the individual what they do bout exercise calories. I don't and it has worked, others do and it works too. We are all different so body reacts differently

Why would you eat an EXTRA 1500 calories? Are you burning 1500 calories a day just in exercise? You shouldn't be counting calories that you may burn while on your feet at work, that should be figured into whatever activity level you chose (ie sedentary, lightly active, active).

I could honestly care less what people do. If it's working for you great, but not eating them back is not going to work for everyone and I cannot stand when new people come here and ask if they should eat them and people tell them flat out no. As with this OP, she was confused as she has heard conflicting answers. It is not an opinion, it is a fact, if you eat 3500 calories less in one week (500 each day) you will lose one pound. So if you don't eat your calories back from exercise you will either lose more than 1 pound a week or you will actually stay the same because you're not eating enough and your metabolism has slowed too much. For people who only aim for 1200 calories/day, it is essential that they eat back their E calories or they will not get enough fuel.

Much of this isn't directed to you, I don't know if you tell people to not eat them or not, but it really bugs me when people say "No you're not supposed to eat them, if you eat them you will gain weight or maintain your current weight" because that is just flat out untrue and not good info to give to newbies.
  • PHATmommy68
    Options

You need to make up your mind to change these things!

For the record, your comments aren't terribly helpful or insightful, just condescending.

I HAVE made up my mind to change things (I'm on here tracking daily and in the gym 5 times/week for 400+ calorie workouts), I'm just not sure yet what works best. I am learning and already doing a lot better than I was 3 months ago- it is a work in progress.

To everyone with helpful information- thank you for your insight. I will try the 1 month with no fast food, and I like the idea about eating before a playdate at Chick Fil A and just getting a diet lemonade or fruit cup.

Sorry! :cry:
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options

Good advice here! I've done something similar before and it's worked for me. WHATEVER you do, don't give up! :bigsmile:
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Ditch the processed foods, high carb foods etc. Focus on getting in a lot of proteing and fruit and veggies and keep up your exercise and the fat will start melting!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I hope you follow through with it! Let us know how it works out for you!

I remember when my two boys were little we did the play date thing, too. In spring and fall during clear weather our lunch play dates worked well, because we'd meet at local parks and bring packed lunches from home. It was during bad weather that we'd meet at fast food places that had indoor play areas that the food became an issue, because we needed to buy the food there in order to use the play area, and back then salads and fruits were not an option yet. When we Moms realized we were packing on the pounds, we switched our indoor play dates to each other's houses on a rotating basis, and made sure we had foods that were good for us and the kids, since we wanted to nip the fast food//junk food habit in the bud so that our kids wouldn't grow up craving it. I know some people view the fast food as a treat for the kids, but when it becomes a regular thing, it becomes a habit, not a treat.