Does Stress Burn Calories

Options
Does anyone know if stress burns calories?

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Nope. Quite the opposite if anything.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Nope. Quite the opposite if anything.

'tis true!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well, what I've read about stress is that...
    1) It lowers your core temperature, which would mean less calorie burning
    2) It raises cortosol levels, which makes you store fast more easily, targetting the belly
    3) Some people eat too little (which may make you lose OR GAIN)
    4) Some people eat too much because they are so pressed they make bad choices or look for comfort food

Guess what helps deal with stress though? Regular exercise and nutritious eating :) And B vitamins.

Chill out and good luck.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Awww, that's not what I wanted to hear.
    But if stress makes you go for a fast hike up a tall mountain, that it would.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    NOPE... I think stress creates calories ouf of thin air. Because I always gain 5-8 pounds when I'm stressed out.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if stress burns calories?

Nope. It makes you gain belly fat.
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If stress burned calories, I would turn sideways and disappear!
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    :sad:
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I wish! Although I would probably be on a feeding tube by now.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options

LOL ^this
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    If only it did. I could eat an entire buffet and still lose weight if it did.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can slow your metabolism down (not sure how true that is though)
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count on stress to burn calories and log as an exercise... Most the time it just makes me sit around and eat more, which is not helpful for weight loss. And like the others said, it makes you release hormones that are unhealthy for your body and weight loss.

But I do have to say I went through a time of EXTREME stress (and I do mean "extreme") and lost a lot of weight. So, yeah, it must burn some. Or maybe it was the calories I burned crying? hahaha
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

LOL ^this

Lol This x2.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When you stress, your sympathetic nervous system releases hormones and chemicals, one of which is cortisol, which has huge adverse effects all over the body. A lot of people find that those hormones, especially cortisol, can actually contribute to not being able to lose weight, especially long-term, because your body has to adapt to a system that isn't optimal.
  • mathgirl
    mathgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    a panic attack would burn a few extra calories, but then again all the stress that caused it and was caused by the attack itself would wipe that effect out in a sec ;) Probably...:)
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If stress burned calories - I would have lost 65 lbs, not gained it. (well, stress and the chocolate croissant I used to medicate it with:blushing: )

Stress is terrible for the waist line.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Not really. In fact, stress is associated with the hormones adrenaline and cortisol (they are increased when you are stressed). They deal with getting ready for the fight-or-flight kind of response, and actually contribute to a lower metabolism to store energy incase it comes down to the fight-or-flight. Cortisol is strongly associated with extra belly fat, too.

The best solution, besides dealing with the source of the stress, is to exercise. Exercising releases endorphins (which give you that "runner's high"). Endorphins counteract the stress hormones so it is a good way to maintain your metabolism.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am a new mom, to a 5 month old boy. Ever since I became a mom I stress over every little thing. Things didn't bother me so much before. I feel like there is button inside me that got turned on since I gave birth and I stress over everything. It's hard for me to get rid of stress even working out doesn't help me that much.
  • IBetterShapeUp
    Options
    Thanks for the good info. Interestingly enough I already lack Vitamin B and have even received B-12 shots and now take B Complex every day. Had a very stressful week and was unable to exercise and was thinking I was burning calories stressing. My theory was wrong. Hmmm... :ohwell: