Does Stress Burn Calories

Options

Replies

• jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Short term, yes. If you are stressed for a very short period of time (like someone pulls a gun on you, or similar), your body produces massive amounts of adrenaline which raises your heart rate, etc. Over the long haul, no. Your body goes into survival mode, like most people are talking about here, and starts storing fat like a squirrel stores nuts. The way your body works is to stay alive as long as possible, and increased stress results in the body plotting out for a lot time without any resources (as naturally that's the only thing animals stress about over the long haul).

Humans are likely the most unnatural creatures out there.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i personally think it depends on the type of stress..I went through a really stressful week once (once..lollll)...this particular week my heart was racing the entire time. I lost 5 lbs like nothing! I wasnt trying to loose nor did I change my eating...also I had nothing to loose and was already at goal.

heart pounding constantly stress = weight loss...IMO

just "stressed" overall = no weight loss
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I find that stress stops me eating and a few years ago I was in very stressfull situation and my weight went down and i didnt even know till someone said i looked thin. it was good to hear but I didnt know. I suffer from ibs so stress made that worse, natural diaretic lol
  • IBetterShapeUp
    Options
    Way too funny!!!! :laugh:
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just shows....there is absolutely nothing good about stress :(
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think it causes health issues/weight gain.

But I do have one friend who lost like 80 lbs eating lasagna, cookies/candy/chocolate, pizza and crap food from divorce/financial stress. She did not workout or eat properly to lose it, trust me!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If it did, I probably wouldnt be here.
  • MightyVoltron
    MightyVoltron Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ this ^^^^

Educate yourself about Cortisol(the stress hormone)
    yes all life is stress, its the healthy adaptive side that needs to be nurtured
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    stress can cause weight loss in the short term by decreasing appetite, but after a few days of it you start seeing the effect everyone else has been describing, including the increased cholesterol and holding on to fat.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Exercising is stress, running is stress, lifting weights is stress.

With out stress we don't get stronger.

I was assuming folk were talking about negative stress. I get what you mean but to me, personally, stress isn't a positive word.
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awww, that's not what I wanted to hear.
    But if stress makes you go for a fast hike up a tall mountain, that it would.

Haha....I have recently acuired a love of running and I do this. I get upset about something I play what i call mad music. Its hard music, stuff I dont usually listen too like Voodoo. Then I hit the road or treadmill.......It works great, and you feel good about yourself afterwards (and your less likely to bite your husbands head off) its a win win...lol!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever lost weight when stressed is when I got so stressed that I stopped eating and stopped sleeping. Luckily I escaped all such situations before ending up some kind of crazy face eating zombie. But it was close.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if stress burns calories?

If Stress burned calories I would slim and trim. Seriously, I have raised 2 children on my own for over 20 years, one with adhd the other with a congenital heart defect and I buried that child september 2010. No stress does not burn calories. exercise does. walking if you can't work out. I am 170lbs overweight, 70lbs gained in the last 20 years. I am beginning again to get this diet going. I am going to do it this time.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just shows....there is absolutely nothing good about stress :(

I think the OP was referring to stress in the way of worry/being overwhelmed/under pressure etc. :smile:
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I was assuming folk were talking about negative stress. I get what you mean but to me, personally, stress isn't a positive word.

I understand. This seems to be about mental stress.It's the same as exercise stress. Let me explain.

If you wok out all the time constantly your body will beak down(too much stress). Recuperation is a big part of growing stronger.
    This applies to mental stress as well, if we have mental stress, we need to balance it with recovery. If the stress is chronic the body will start to break down.

Stress is good for us if it's balanced with equal recovery. Imagine if we never had a problem everything was perfect, then one day something happens to use, someone says something or something negative happens. It can take a big toll on the body.

If someone is used to it, has had their problems, challenges, and something happens, it won't be as stressful, their body won't take it as a big of a blow, compared to someone who has never had that stressor.

From what I understand (mind you from internet research lol) it's the short term stress that can be beneficial because we get those bursts of energy etc and it's much easier to have an equal recovery as you call it. It's the longer periods of constant or chronic stress that can lead to health issues: high blood pressure, depression, auto immune issues an so on. This is also the type of stress many people go through and have a hard time balancing out with a positive because there is no start and stop to the stress. But either way, in order to live healthier we need to try to minimize the negative stress and replace with something positive in order to benefit. That's why exercise is a wonderful thing! It helps us lose weight, be more fit and helps reduce stress! :happy:
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I wish. I'd be super thin. Easy.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    If stress burned calories, I would turn sideways and disappear!

agreed :laugh:
  • o2co2
    o2co2 Posts: 8
    Options
    Stress destroys your friends, the B vitamins.

I am borrowing someone elses words on their link, not endorsing their products.
    http://www.provenhealthyliving.com/b_vitamins

You will find plenty of scientific data to back up the info.
  • MyDarkAngel
    Options
    Well, what I've read about stress is that...
    1) It lowers your core temperature, which would mean less calorie burning
    2) It raises cortosol levels, which makes you store fast more easily, targetting the belly
    3) Some people eat too little (which may make you lose OR GAIN)
    4) Some people eat too much because they are so pressed they make bad choices or look for comfort food

Guess what helps deal with stress though? Regular exercise and nutritious eating :) And B vitamins.

Chill out and good luck.

All of this exactly.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Haha. I WISH! If that were true, I would be the skinniest person ever. No but really stress increases fat storage.