Anything bad about crystal light/other drink mixes?

Options
If it has no calories, no carbs, no sugar, and essentially nothing in it other than flavoring, is it bad to drink your 8 cups of water a day if all the water you drink is flavored with one of those little packets?

Replies

• CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Through all my weight loss journeys... (Why do I keep regaining?) I have never had an issue with drinking it. Cofffee and soda will sometimes stall me. Ive noticed if I sit at a certain weight, if I 86 the coffee and diet soda the scale likes it. I dilute the crap out of it though. like one of those 2go packs in 24+ oz of water.

Of course, youre goning to get a lot of "only water" people. But this is just what my body seems to be okay with!

They have new Crystal Light Energy ones now... Has caffiene in them.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm definitely trying to stop drinking diet soda, and I absolutely loathe water on it's own, and the little packs make it so much easier to drink and get my daily dose with. I'd rather sacrifice like 30 calories a day and get all my water in then choking down a cup or two a day.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm definitely trying to stop drinking diet soda, and I absolutely loathe water on it's own, and the little packs make it so much easier to drink and get my daily dose with. I'd rather sacrifice like 30 calories a day and get all my water in then choking down a cup or two a day.

I hate the water they have here at work... lemon wedges REALLLY help, as well as cucumber slices or strawberry slices.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Really, it all depends what you consider bad. I consider artificial sweeteners to be an ingredient to avoid at all costs, so I do, not to mention artificial colors and other ingredients I deem questionable. Some people are totally fine with products like that, which is fine if that's what you want to drink. Like with everything, moderation is key.

To flavor water in a more natural way, try smashing some fruit in plain water (watermelon or berries is good) or add just a splash of 100% fruit juice to water. It is a healthier alternative to Crystal Light, Mio, et al and masks the water taste if you don't like it.
  • losingthehealthyway
    Options
    I got slightly addicted to caffeinated drink mixes last semester, because they were a cheap, quick boost before class without many calories or having to run to Starbucks. XD I'm trying to learn to use them more sparingly though, because artificial sweeteners have chemicals in them that I'm not entirely comfortable with. I have also read the hypothesis that artificial sweeteners trick your body into eating more sugar when it's there. (I'm no expert, but I certainly don't need that with my sweet tooth!)

If you're concerned, there's lemon, lime, fruit juice, cucumbers, herbal tea, etc. for you to try! Best of luck. :)
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Crystal light is ok, but I prefer my mio more. Even my kids prefer mio,
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    artificial sugars, aspertame, ewwwww

i cut all pop including diet pop about a year and a half ago, still to this day i beleive it was the biggest factor in my weight loss
    no need to spike sugar levels which makes you even more hungry.

i drink club soda and sparkling water (low sodium) and mix it with a tiny bit of pure fruit juice or lemon/lime and its wonderful
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love squirting lemon into my water. It's a healthy alternative with great taste!
  • jasonfndr
    jasonfndr Posts: 39
    Options
    We really like that Crystal Light raspberry lemonade. We get the container that has the 2 quarts packets. Think all together the container makes 3 gallons.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Love Mio. Only bad thing is it's a tad expensive.
    Some people will tell you it has poison in it.
    Cinnamon has more poison in it than mio.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay away from the artificial sweeteners...if you want something different though have you tried True Lemon or True Lime? It's no different than a lemon or lime wedge but its more convenient...pretty good stuff.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It contains aspartame which triggers migraines for me so I can't drink anything with that ingredient.

I have recently been drinking a lot more tea though, and water with lemon.. delicious! Plus, lemon aids in digestion!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think Crystal Light is on the same playing field as diet soda - fake sugar & flavoring - one is not better than the other. I do drink MODERATE amounts of diet soda myself.

However, from a "habit" side of things ..... having to have something "sweet" all day long isn't a good Idea no matter how much you weigh. I stick with plain water ...... learn to love plain water. At work I use a Britta personal size water filter (the water is nasty). You might try mint leaves, or lemon wegdes, cucumber slices .... even iced tea (unsweetened) is better for you than "sweet" all day long.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    You might try mint leaves, or lemon wegdes, cucumber slices .... even iced tea (unsweetened) is better for you than "sweet" all day long.

The mint leaves are a great idea. I think I'll try this myself actually.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    make some tea, cool it, add some stevia, honey, and or lemon
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    Love Mio. Only bad thing is it's a tad expensive.
    Some people will tell you it has poison in it.
    Cinnamon has more poison in it than mio.

walmart has their own line of it and it's $1 cheaper and just as good.
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We really like Crystal Light, but over the years, I have become more aware of all the chemicals in it.

My husband turned me on to Carbonated Water (like Pierre'). Kroger sells it in their brand in a 2 liter for 79 cents. I LOVE the bubbles, it reminds me of that crispness from a soda, without all the chemicals. You can also use 1/2 or 1/4 carb water and juice---or even crystal light.

On this topic-I count sugar free jello as water (yeah, I know, more chemicals). I wonder if that's ok.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out True Lemon (http://www.truelemon.com/). I use it when I can't get fresh slices and if you're concerned about artificial sweeteners (like in some flavours of Crystal Light) there aren't any if True Lemon. There are other flavours in the brand but I've never tried those one so I can't speak to them, however, I really like the taste of True Lemon. I like them for work, travel, school. I even keep on or two in my purse in case I'm in a restaurant.

I'm trying to quit drinking pop/soda right now so it's been really helpful.

I should add that the True Lemon is just crystallized lemon and a small amount of organic cane sugar. However, there are still no calories and no sugars, just 1 g of carbs.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I should add that the True Lemon is just crystallized lemon and a small amount of organic cane sugar. However, there are still no calories and no sugars, just 1 g of carbs.

Exactly. True Lime is just as good...I've also heard there's a True Grapefruit but I haven't seen it...
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love Mio as well. It is a new product here in Canada and they only have a few flavors available. I mix a 24oz cup with a couple squirts and it is just the right amount of flavor. I used to drink a lot of Crystal Light but I find it bothers my stomach now for some reason. You can try mixing a little less crystal light into your drinks each time and by the end of the week, you will think the full amount is much too sweet. I used to be able to make a packet last for 4 glasses but it took some getting used to :)