Help! Shin splints but need to run tonight.

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I haven't had shin splints at all since I got my new shoes, but I also hadn't run two days in a row before this weekend. Well, I need to run again tonight. Any easy stretches I can do to relieve the pain before tonight?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Ice/Heat....it's helped me.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    do you HAVE to run? Shin splints are really only healed with rest. You dont want to risk injuring yourself even more by running on them.
  • jenlwren
    Options
    If you are in a lot of pain don't run. Put on long socks and walk..Also, walk backwards and uphill..This seems to have helped me over the years of running.

A tip, if you are a beginning runner do not run 2 days in a row unless they are light runs..Make sure you are stretching good after you run too..

Ice helps and so does Tiger Balm which is like icy hot but better
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    Shin splits often occur because your "shins" aren't loose enough stretching wise and also need to be strengthened. Same for your calves. Try to strengthen your shins and calves, while also stretching them to keep loose and you'll be fine. Be sure to balance it..as if one is stronger than the other it can cause that too!
    Casey
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is a good article about shin splints:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

I've linked to the treatment page but there are links to other sections on the left hand side of the screen.
  • neclark18
    Options
    put your legs in an ice bath for 20 mins, then in hot water for 20.. do that for a little while and just keep stretching.. running on shin splints isnt going to make them any better. maybe try speed walking... you dont want to put pressure on them. if you stand up against a wall and leave your hell on the floor and the top of your foot against the wall and keep pushing.. good stretch. good luck
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I think I'll use the exercise bike today instead.