Why is corn so high in calories?

Options

Replies

• echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    I love sweet corn in the summer, it is full of calories, because yes it is a grain, ditch the bun for the burger and eat the corn-thats what I do in the summer time.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Now, we’re not talking about the occasional corn on the cob at the family BBQ. That’s probably not going to hurt anyone.

I'm a big fan of Mark's and this is an important thing for him to have said. Corn isn't an important part of anyone's diet, but there's a huge line between food that isn't doing you any favors, and food that will kill you. No... eating corn is not going to kill you. I occasionally eat corn on the cob without thinking about it, and because "occasional food" like this doesn't have a significant impact on your health. When I eat it, it's because I like the taste (mmm). Not because I need its nutritional elements. But from a nutritional point of view, it's important to understand that corn is not a particularly beneficial food and is mostly starchy filler.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't eat corn anymore. Anything that can go through the body's digestive process and come out looking the same as it did going in can't be good for you.
  • secretlobster
    Options

Also, here is sweet corn classified under vegetable from the University of Illinois
    http://urbanext.illinois.edu/vegproblems/vegetables.cfm

I'm sorry to seem argumentative, but these sites are not discussing the consumption and digestion of the product, the references are for pest control. Both of these references are essentially the same, and please notice they list "tomato" under "vegetable crops".

The websites you're referencing are talking about farming from an agricultural perspective, not a nutritional one.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    from Mark'sDailyApple (take it or leave it...I aint sure of all the dramatics by Mark, but I dont see the point of eating a lot of corn)

"Friends, corn is not a vegetable. It’s not. We are perplexed as to when corn entered the American dietary lexicon as a veggie, because it’s a grain – and a really unhealthy grain at that. Corn is the most sugary, starchy, empty grain there is. You’re better off with white rice – seriously. (Not that we recommend eating a lot of white rice, because brown rice is higher in fiber and protein.)

In fact, we hate corn. Now, we’re not talking about the occasional corn on the cob at the family BBQ. That’s probably not going to hurt anyone. But corn should not make up the veggie section of your meal plate, because it’s a high-glycemic sugarfest. In sum: corn is not a vegetable, and it’s a worthless grain."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/corn-is-not-a-vegetable/#ixzz1wZ5ePhQn

^ Illustrates why Sission is a dope and should not be listened to most of the time.

First what relevance does the GI of the food have to the avg person? and approx. 3 g of sugar per 100g is a lot?

He calls it high GI, yet it's classified as low to moderate GI, white rice and brown rice are higher. Also corn has more protein and fiber than brown rice, two things that supposedly make brown rice better than white rice.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not all veggies are made alike - corn, peas, winter squash, beets and potatoes are all fairly high in calories. They're still good for you (some more than others, just google to research), they just need to be eaten in moderation.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Also, here is sweet corn classified under vegetable from the University of Illinois

I'm sorry to seem argumentative, but these sites are not discussing the consumption and digestion of the product, the references are for pest control. Both of these references are essentially the same, and please notice they list "tomato" under "vegetable crops".

The websites you're referencing are talking about farming from an agricultural perspective, not a nutritional one.

Here is the USDA putting (human consumption) corn in with the veggies, this website is for nutrition and health info. My point is that you can't tell someone they're wrong for calling corn a vegetable or a grain. It falls under both.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables.html
  • secretlobster
    Options

Here is the USDA putting (human consumption) corn in with the veggies, this website is for nutrition and health info. My point is that you can't tell someone they're wrong for calling corn a vegetable or a grain. It falls under both.

Trust me... I am WELL aware that the USDA erroneously classifies corn as a vegetable. I'm also well aware of the bias toward the corn industry, and government subsidies favoring corn above any other food, because corn is extraordinarily profitable. The resources I could cite are innumerable. Read any book by Michael Pollan.

http://grist.org/article/food-2010-09-21-op-ed-corn-subsidies-make-unhealthy-food-choices/

Edited to say: I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I want to encourage people to gain insight on the US government's relationship to the food they eat. It's not always in the interest of your personal health. Do your own research on the food you put in your mouth; where it comes from and who is involved in its production. Just be aware, and make your own choices. I don't care what you choose to put in your body. But if you come here and say "well the USDA says so it must be true" then it indicates to me you don't have any awareness of the corn industry whatsoever.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I count corn as a grain when I am cooking meals... and it is TASTY. Had some grilled on the cob last night.... with zuchini as the vegetable in that meal (grass fed steak as the protein). I see nothing wrong with eating corn, as long as it fits into your goals. I believe the recommended serving is 1/2 cup, though.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

^ Illustrates why Sission is a dope and should not be listened to most of the time.

First what relevance does the GI of the food have to the avg person? and approx. 3 g of sugar per 100g is a lot?

He calls it high GI, yet it's classified as low to moderate GI, white rice and brown rice are higher. Also corn has more protein and fiber than brown rice, two things that supposedly make brown rice better than white rice.

if someone said the sky is blue, you would argue the point unless you said it first. I dont agree that he is "a dope" just because he gets dramatic. Corn is a poor food choice. It may not be as bad as he says, but it isnt great or even real good.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I just logged 1 cup of frozen corn and it's 150 calories!! It's not that big of a deal, but I just expected, with it being a vegetable, that it woudl be much lower. I had no clue corn was so high in calories.

Corn is NOT a vegetable. It is a starchy grain.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

And this thinking right here (trusting anything the USDA or FDA have to say) is why the U.S. is in BIG trouble.

They want us to be sheep just like most people are............

Let's all quote the all mighty USDA because they are right......... <roll eyes>
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think scientific usage and common usage are being confused. There are bajillion things that fall under a scientific category of one thing but fall under a usage category of another.

Anyways however you want to classify corn, it's high in carbohydrates (not necessarily sugar) and therefore has more calories.
  • Acg67
    Options

if someone said the sky is blue, you would argue the point unless you said it first. I dont agree that he is "a dope" just because he gets dramatic. Corn is a poor food choice. It may not be as bad as he says, but it isnt great or even real good.

Ok besides his fear mongering, what about his outright lying? Do you think he objectively looks at the things he posts about?

What makes corn not so good? More fiber and protein an broccoli for instance, decent amounts of minerals and anti oxidents.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Ok besides his fear mongering, what about his outright lying? Do you think he objectively looks at the things he posts about?

What makes corn not so good? More fiber and protein an broccoli for instance, decent amounts of minerals and anti oxidents.

outright lying? I really don't know if he is doing any outright lying. you have an example?

is he objective? hell no...he is advocating his view because he loves it and to make money among other things. Please don't think you are objective. Not many people are.

To get as lean as you are takes a lot of hard work. (unless you are a genetic wonderland) and I respect the work you have done. You appear to be well informed in nutrition and fitness. But here's the thing- I think you know full well that corn is not so good as a nutritious, healthy food. You like to belittle, judge and slam just about everything people say and you do it in a snotty way. And if you don't really know corn isn't that good for the human body, then you are doing a lot of posing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    And if you don't really know corn isn't that good for the human body, then you are doing a lot of posing.

Bickering aside, got anything to back that up Dave?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You call it corn. I call it maize.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I heard on MFP that corn will kill ya!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    And if you don't really know corn isn't that good for the human body, then you are doing a lot of posing.

Bickering aside, got anything to back that up Dave?

crickets.gif
  • Acg67
    Options

outright lying? I really don't know if he is doing any outright lying. you have an example?

Look at the product description for his Primal Fuel, then look at the ingredient list. Just one of many

But here's the thing- I think you know full well that corn is not so good as a nutritious, healthy food. You like to belittle, judge and slam just about everything people say and you do it in a snotty way. And if you don't really know corn isn't that good for the human body, then you are doing a lot of posing.

As others have already asked you're going to have to define what is a "nutritious, healthy food" and why corn does not fit into that description