45 yr old single mom w/health problems.

Options
Hey ya'll I'm a single mother of a beautiful 14 yr old daughter and stunning 22 yr old daughter. The past 5 yrs have taken their toll on me. Bad relationships and a hysterectomy with many health issues that followed me all the way to this place in my life. I am currently 5ft nothing and as of today 217 lbs. I joined here Monday and hve lost 5 lbs since starting. I suffered from a mental breakdown that left me trapped in a world of isolation and paranoia. Which is a bad place for me as I am an addict/alcholic having been in recovery 11 yrs. My health has been deteriorating since. I currently have hypothyroidism, central sleep apnea (my brain forgets to breath) who freakin does that? Anyway high blood pressure, IBS, diverticulosis, bipolar, depression and anxiety. I have had issues with my weight since I was first married. Up and down only maintaining for a few yrs at a time. Due to my intestinalmaladies I quit eating red meat 3 yrs ago and have gradually had to make my acceptable food list smaller and smaller. I do not eat any canned or precooked and frozen food. (Some veges) not much dairy due to intolerance. So changing my diet for this didn't consist of my but lowering carb intake via different pasta and bread. I am not a jnk food person and don't care for chocolate. I know all the women just gasped lol. My biggesdt issue with losing has been physical activity. Up until 1 1/2 yrs ago I was motionless untilthey discovered the thyroid issue and sleep apnea. So med wise everything has been evening out. I just gained weight in the process. They discover the hypothyroidism due to issues swallowing and hoarsness. I have dealt with acid reflux/gerd for the past 25 yrs. Sometimes treated sometimes not. 3 yrs ago I had a scope and colonoscopy done where iwas diagnosed withsevere esophogitis. I was unaware I was supposed to have scopes done every yr following. The past 5 months I have all but lost my voice completely. I was told not long ago I have developed Barrets Syndrome with precancerous cells. Its a strange condition that cannot be reversed but puts me at a high risk for esophogial cancer. I was told I needed to do several things to reduce my chances. 1 quit smoking, done that day cold turkey with no weight gain, 2 cut back on spicy food, which is difficult for me :), 3 have a procedure to stop the acid from ever backing up again (my insurance refuses to do this for 6 months, they are waiting to see if this developes into cancer and they don't wanna pay for that surgery if they have to pay for more 6 months later so I get to play wait and see) and finally 4, lose weight. Being as how I have not been blessed with grandchildren and live and breath for my daughters I am not willing to give up this fight. That is why I am here. I try to stay as spiritually fit and at peace with myself and everything atround me but I do get scared sometimes. Food has been the comfort I used to seek and I don't have that option. I am trying to work a strong recovery program. I do know I do need help, support, and cheerleaders. I am obsessive by nature and will probably continue to weigh myself daily. I woulkd be lying if I said I wouldn't. Lol no lies all honesty here. So that's my story. I need help because I want my life to be a huge novel and there is so much more I want to do. Thanks ya'll. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• WorkitoutBev
    WorkitoutBev Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry to read all of that and to know that you are a hard time. Please keep the faith you will will be fine, it seems like you know what your health issues are and you know what you have to do to stay here on this earth. You will be in my prayers from this moment on. I have health issues as well and would love to talk to you more, but on lunch and it's over. Please add me as a friend and we can talk. Take care until we have the chance.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, I too am so sorry to hear of all the hard times you have had and also for your health problems. I too have a lot of health problems and am suppose to lose weight. I have some of the same health issues as you and would love to support, motivate and encourage you on this journey. You seem to have all the right tools and knowledge and you just need the support group and this site is wonderful for that!!! Please feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like. I love to get new friends. :happy:

Hugs,
    Bev
  • beka456
    beka456 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please add me in. Like almost everyone here, I've got weight to lose all for health reasons too! My first task was quitting smoking! And woohoo, I'm a quitter!! Now I'm trying to lose weight and get more active. I'm on MFP at random times but I'd like to be part of your support team too.