better time to excercise (AM or afternoon)??

Options
Good morning to all! Have any of you found out the best time of day to exercise? i used to wake up and do my w/outs at 5AM and finish up at 6AM (when i had to wake up my wife). i lost about 10 lbs doing this but lately i've been workin' out after work. i have 3 kids so i'm still kind of tired when the alarm clock goes off. i'm doing P90X and i'm BEAT when i'm finished and fill the need to probably overeat for supper (good foods just more of it). i'm thinking about starting to wake up again early and w/o 1st thing in the AM where i can eat a larger breakfast rather than a larger supper. Plus, i've read where working out 1st thing in the AM increases your metabolism much faster. Any thoughts??

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There is no "right" or 'wrong" answer. The best time to work out is any time that works for you. The improtant thing is to just do it.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I workout for 90 minutes early in the morning before my 4 year old gets out of bed ... its easier that way ....I would do it while she was awake but she would be in the way ....Good luck to you :wink:
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    As hard as it is to get up extra early, I know that is what works the best for me, I have to do it in the morning if i want to be consistent
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    The best time to do exercise is anytime you can stick with it:wink:
    I was a morning person for years....but with the job & kids that would mean a 4:30 wake up call....I exercise after they go to bed now
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I say it's whatever works for you. It's easier for me to get up in the morning and work out so I get it over anddone with. It's so hard for me to go home after work and stay motivated to work out. Sometimes I do...but I'm not as reliable as I am in the mornings.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 hour cardio in the morning. Bike when the sun was up earlier, elliptical now that fall is here.

3 days a week I do strength training with weights in the afternoon or evening.

So,,, umm both. :smile:
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Exercise is exercise. But, I read somewhere that if you exercise in the morning you are burning fat. Later in the afternoon, it is the food you ate. I am not a professional, so I do not know if that is accurate, but it does make some sense. I would say that as long as you are exercising, that is what is important.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong. Mornings are recommended so that you get it over with before the day gets in your way and to get your metabolism running but exercise is exercise and some people find they get their best workouts when they are awake and warmed up from moving around during the day. I have tried all different times of the day and I find that between 10am and 4pm are my best hours. Too early and I want to take a nap and too late and I can't sleep.

do what works for your schedule!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had been exercising early in the AM, and that was working for me pretty well, but lately I've been doing it in the evening, before bed, and that's doing well for me too. I think that for my body, a light workout before bed helps me sleep better, and helps my body burn more fat. My husband has really noticed a difference in my body mass since I've been doing the light PM workouts. Once I get over my sick, I plan to go back to morning and evening, because for me, I think it works best. Oh, and doing it an hour before bed helps me to not do the late night snacking too, which has been a huge problem for me in the past.
  • greatginew
    Options
    I have found that the best thing is to get up & get moving earlier than u normally would; even only 15 minutes. Start there, get your body use to being up earlier - that will begin to jump start your metabolism. Eventually you'll want to work out during that time. I've also found it is best to do some kind of wkout after dinner, even if it's only going for a walk around your neighborhood. Try Not go to bed & lay on the dinner calories you've consumed, as that's counter-productive.

Of course everyone is correct in saying... Doing Something is by far Better than Doing Nothing!

Good Luck , I hope u reach your goals!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    From all that I have read (and of course I can't site the study) there is a slight advantage overall to working out earlier in the day than later in the day. Working out early ups the metabolism which carries on throughout the day.

I think your plan of working out earlier, and eating more of your calories early in the day rather than later is a good one. Try it and see what kind of results you get with that.

Ultimately, though, working out at a time that you can stick with is much more important than the slight advantage an early morning workout gives you over an evening workout. Good luck with your plan!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I recently read that the best time depends on how exercising makes you feel. If it tires you out and you just want to crawl back into bed, then working out in the evening may be best. If exercising gets you fired up and keeps you energized throughout the day, then working out in the morning may be the better option. HTH!
  • nicole777
    nicole777 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ive heard that you are suppose to eat breakfast within an hour after you wake up. so if you exercise for an hour and then get ready or whatever, is it bad that you dont eat within that hour?
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use to be a morning exercise person when I first started this site. It worked really well for me. Made me feel quite energetic throughout the day. I was able to cut down on my coffee intake which was a huge bonus.
    But I also have a bad habit of sleeping late. So Ive started exercising after work now. Its harder in the evenings as 'things' get in the way and your more likely to get distracted.

So in terms of committing yourself and building a more solid routine.. Morning seems better.