TOFU! Any suggestions?

Options
14aviles
14aviles Posts: 3
I went to a pot luck and somebody served tofu chocolate pudding. It was genius! But how do you cook yours? I'd really like to bring it in as a staple and need some recipe ideas. Thx :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like a firm teriyaki flavoured tofu in a stir fry with lots of veggies. Also silken tofu in smoothies is a great way to add some protein.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump, I'd like some too.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Not going lie. Tofu pisses me off.
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump~
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have a dish that i use ground chicken breast, and an equal amount of tofu, some panko an onion and an egg white. Mix it all up like a burger, toss on some wosteshire and cook it on the stovetop. Smash it thin while it cooks. They are great. I'm sure there's more in it, it's just not coming to mind at the moment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mostly we add it to stir fried vegetables.
    Or scramble it for breakfast with spices.

My hubby is a genius at grilling it, but I can't seem to master that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Was it mean to you once? :tongue:
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    slice it about 1/4" thick. brush lightly with olive oil. Bake on parchment for 10 minutes at 400, flip and bake for another 10minutes. It turns kinda crispy and delicious. I love to have that with whatever sauce I am into - chili sauce, barbecue sauce, satay sauce, fresh salsa, etc.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Just cut it up into 1/2 inch cubes, toss into a tupperware with 2 parts soy sauce (lower sodium), 1 part sesame oil, and 1/2 part chili oil. Shake it up, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours, turning once in the middle to make sure it all gets equally marinaded. I love eating this over rice, or with grilled veggies...or even plain, as a snack :) it's delicious, and really kicks a craving for salt.
  • mini72
    mini72 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bought it today for the first time ever but just dont think we will get on!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mexican pizzas! Or at least that's what we call it:

Saute tofu with onions & peppers
    Using standard whole wheat tortilla shells, layer as follows:

Shell, spread with salsa, sour cream, and cheese (or skip any of those). Sprinkle tofu, onions, peppers, and anything else you want (I usually do corn and/or black beans). Add another shell, press down. Repeat, top with another shell spread lightly with salsa and topped with shredded cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes until top is slightly brown. :)
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    OHHHH... .a couple of years at a vegitarian summer camp.. and now can't look at the stuff..

it seemed to show up in EVERYTHING we ate..

ick..
  • nikkolec
    nikkolec Posts: 204
    Options
    Curry!

it's also good to add to smoothies
  • KaraokeGuru
    KaraokeGuru Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tofu really doesn't really have a flavor of it's own so it will take on the flavor of things you put it with. I love making a strawberry banana smoothie and putting it in there for the protein. You can't even tell it's in there!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Was it mean to you once? :tongue:

LMAO not particularly... the carnivore in me just sees it and says, "HEEEEEELLLLLL to the NO!" It masquerades as meat but it's so devastatingly NOT meat... the texture... flavor (or lack thereof)... presentation... it's all just so wrong! I understand the point of it and I respect those who can partake of it with gusto. Me? Fire up the grill, baby!

I'll try anything once or twice though :bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    re: Tofu, any suggestions?
    Run away!!!

lol
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Turn it into a good milkshake :)
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    I love tofu! (I'm not a vegetarian ... I used to be, though, and still LOVE tofu! However, I also love a good steak :-p ) The most important thing about it is to make sure you 'drain' it properly! Take it out of the package and set it on top of paper towels (on top of a cutting board) with more paper towels on top and something heavy on top of the paper towels. I usually set a can of soup or whatever I have in the pantry! Let it sit for 30 minutes. (The paper towels will soak up all the extra moisture, making the tofu less 'heavy' when it's cooking, and less likely to fall apart!)

I really like it in stir-frys, but I also LOVE to bake it!! Once you chop it up into cubes, toss it with some soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, crushed red pepper and let 'marinate' for about 30 minutes ... bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. It gets a little crispy and is seriously SO GOOD!! (I hate measuring, so just throw in about a tbsp. of the soy sauce, a few squirts of honey, and maybe a tsp. or so of the sesame oil!)