TOFU! Any suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    a good pudding!
    225g/2 cups red berry fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and redcurrants

300g/11oz packet silken tofu

45ml/3 tbsp icing sugar

65g/1/4 cup demerara sugar

Method:

Halve or quarter any large strawberries, but leave the smaller ones whole. Mix with the otter berries.

Place the tofu and icing sugar in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.

Stir in the fruits and spoon into a flameproof dish with a 900ml/3 3/4 cups capacity. Sprinkle the tip with enough demerara sugar to cover evenly.

place under a very hot grill until the sugar melts and caramelizes. Chill in the fridge before serving

(to have less sugar you can replace demerara with a calorie free sugar substitute)
  • MeToJem
    MeToJem Posts: 13
    Options
    replying so I can keep up with the info
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    i have been thinking about eating more of it since i always seem to miss my protine macro lol.. i have only ever had it in a smoothy before but it was super yummy

berries, silken tofu, milk and blend...

it has been a while but i think you can add yogurt to it in place of the milk and some ice... good thing is its really hard to do it wrong :)
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    re: Tofu, any suggestions?
    Run away!!!

lol

Love the quote above, gotta agree with you! One of my good friends is vegan which is fine by me, we all make our own food choices, but it's not when she tries to force tofu on me - I keep telling her it is evil :devil: ......but I have seen many say that it is okay in a smoothie, so I might get some silken tofu and try it - it will make her happy if I like it!!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For me, the trick is to cut it into little cubes (mine are maybe half an inch cubed) and marinate it overnight (or as long as your time allows). It soaks up the flavor that way so the tofu itself actually tastes good. Then I pan-fry it in olive oil or Pam until the sides start to brown. Then I add stir-fry veggies and a little bit of whatever sauce I used as a marinade (my favorite is a sweet-spicy sauce). If my calories allow it, after I marinate the cubes, I'll roll them in flour so they are lightly coated before they go in the pan- that helps give them a slightly crispy outside. Even my fiance, who always claimed to HATE tofu loved it and gets all excited when I make it!

Adding: extra-firm is best for this. And pat it with paper towels to get as much excess moisture out as possible before you cube it.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I never got people thinking of tofu as a meat substitute. It's not traditionally used as one, but it is a protein, so it occupies the place in the meal of a protein. Sometimes you'll see traditional dishes that use tofu, eggs, shrimp, beef, chicken, whatever, a mix. It's just it's own thing.

You know you can make it yourself at home and it's amazing? Instructions easily found via google.

It's good for frying, as many have said. I also like to mash it up and make a dish that might be comparable to egg salad, with fresh crunchy veggies and some seasoning. In savory dishes you'll tend to use regular tofu (probably Extra Firm) and in sweet or blended dishes use silken tofu. Yummy.

There is a cookbook by Tal Ronnen called 'The Conscious Cook' that has an awesome recipe for a tofu based veggie burger made with Old Bay seasoning. You top it with a cold salad of cubed apples and beets, some horseradish cream, and serve it on top of a salad of grilled corn with tomatoes and basil. Best. Thing. Ever.
  • markadop
    markadop Posts: 1
    Options
    I grab a brick and nom on it.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    My favorite tofu recipe is manicotti made with firm tofu, spinach and Parmesan cheese. It's delicious!

I also stir fry tofu, bake crispy tofu, and yes, I use tofu in desserts. Ooh, it's also great in soup-- non-chicken stock; spinach, cubed extra firm tofu, soy sauce and sesame oil= heaven! You can add other veggies, too.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have found that there are two keys to using tofu:

1. Realize that it really has little/no inherent flavor--that is to say, it tastes of whatever you cook it with and will add nothing to the overall taste. This is why marinating is so helpful.

2. Make sure you get the correct firmness for your application. Making a pudding? Get silken. Plan on grilling? Get firm or extra firm. But whatever you do, do not try to switch those around. You will end up with grainy pudding or nothing left on the grill.

I think that Tofu gets a bad rep because it is one of the best known and therefore easy to obtain veggie protein sources--though, Seitan and Tempeh have been getting around more and more lately. In any event, although tofu is one of the most common, a lot of people have no idea how to use it well. To those of you who said you didn't like it, I'm willing to bet that most of you had it prepared poorly. It would be like only ever having boiled chicken and never trying it grilled, broiled, fried (gasp!) or breaded and baked.
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I went to a pot luck and somebody served tofu chocolate pudding. It was genius! But how do you cook yours? I'd really like to bring it in as a staple and need some recipe ideas. Thx :flowerforyou:

It was probably silken tofu, which is different in texture from what you get in stir fries. You see it in mousses, puddings and dips.. its a great substitute where you'd use mayo, sour cream, or whipped cream.