question?!

ok so here is my question. i LOVE food, but of course it doesn't love me!!:laugh: anyway, i do want to lose weight, but i don't want to give up the food that i like or completely change my eating. i know that this is sounding bad so far, but keep reading! while i will admit to not eating completely healthy i won't say that i ever ate BAD. i think my main problem was portions and just overeating, especailly when bored, upset, or just feeling i needed to eat while watching tv. ok so now here is my question, do i have to give up all the GOOD food to lose? or will i still lose as long as i watch my portions and track my cals, and exercise? i'm not saying that i don't eat healthy, i mean i love salads and do snack on fruit and veggies and stuff. but i don't want to have to give up a good burger from the grill or slice of pizza either. i've always said, you only live once i'm going to eat what i want (until it caught up with me!!)

Replies

• wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    ok so here is my question. i LOVE food, but of course it doesn't love me!!:laugh: anyway, i do want to lose weight, but i don't want to give up the food that i like or completely change my eating. i know that this is sounding bad so far, but keep reading! while i will admit to not eating completely healthy i won't say that i ever ate BAD. i think my main problem was portions and just overeating, especailly when bored, upset, or just feeling i needed to eat while watching tv. ok so now here is my question, do i have to give up all the GOOD food to lose? or will i still lose as long as i watch my portions and track my cals, and exercise? i'm not saying that i don't eat healthy, i mean i love salads and do snack on fruit and veggies and stuff. but i don't want to have to give up a good burger from the grill or slice of pizza either. i've always said, you only live once i'm going to eat what i want (until it caught up with me!!)
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    We are the same. I dont love food but I dont hate it either. lol My problem is emotional eating and I often eat things that I don't really care for, it is just psychological for me. And I don't think its fair that I have to give up on so much just because my genetics are different then others. But I guess we live in an unfair world and we have to one day slowly give up or reduce things and accept tat not all of us can have our cake and eat it too. :grumble:

Good luck. If this is what you really want, you will make it happen. Our brains are a funny but smart mechanism.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    My answer is: yes, you can eat anything that is delicious :smile:

Actually that is exactly what I do :smile: If I have a burger I don't eat fries with that. If I have pizza it's just one slice. Then I make sure the rest of my meals that day are healthy.
    Another thing is that if you cook you can make some delicious food that is actually healthy. For example burger made of chicken breast with lots of vegies and mustard instead of mayo. Salad dressing made of yogurt and not of olive oil is delicious but have very little calories.
    These are just a few ideas, you have to find your own way to make nice meals to your taste.

I must admit that I eat a little bit of chocolate every day - a piece of 70% cocoa chocolate bar or sth like that :wink:
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    My answer is: yes, you can eat anything that is delicious :smile:

Actually that is exactly what I do :smile: If I have a burger I don't eat fries with that. If I have pizza it's just one slice. Then I make sure the rest of my meals that day are healthy.
    Another thing is that if you cook you can make some delicious food that is actually healthy. For example burger made of chicken breast with lots of vegies and mustard instead of mayo. Salad dressing made of yogurt and not of olive oil is delicious but have very little calories.
    These are just a few ideas, you have to find your own way to make nice meals to your taste.

I must admit that I eat a little bit of chocolate every day - a piece of 70% cocoa chocolate bar or sth like that :wink:

I agree. I haven't 'given up' any food since starting this. I think that is a sure way to fail as it can only ever be a temporary 'diet' rather than the lifestyle change it should be. I don't do anything that i couldn't keep up for the rest of my life, and i feel confident that because of this i will keep the weight off forever his time!
    I find it quite amusing when people enquire about my weight loss and ask how I have done it. And i am quite lost for words because i don't really know, other than increasing my exercise, i don't feel at all deprived food wise!
    Good luck
    Amanda
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    You never want to give up any foods that you love to eat. It is not realistic. I have not given up anything!! One thing I have changed is the portion sizes. Another thing has been to limit the frequency that I eat the foods that I like that I know are not very good for my health anyways, such as fried foods or sweets. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    I made it to my goal without giving up anything. I just gave up huge portions and eating my treats every day. Now we order thin crust pizza and I have 2 slices and a salad. I buy the low-cal ice cream treats and have them once in a while. If I really want fast food, I get a kid's meal. You can do this and still be at your calorie level for the day with some good planning. Also if I mess up, I don't just throw away the whole day and go crazy. Honestly, I don't really miss it. Just work hard at coming up with substitutes for the foods you love. And have the real deal once in a while. It's not realistic to think you will never eat pizza again, at least for me. Good luck!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    I believe that giving up the foods you love is actually a BAD idea for losing weight. It will end in a binge when you finally go for the foods that you have to have, but you think are off limits. Check out the book "Why Weight?". She preaches eatting when you are hungry (and learning when to recognize that), eatting until you are satisfied, not keeping foods off limits, eatting without distractions, etc. It sounds like that could really help you.

I have been trying to do this without giving up anything. I find logging calories helps me be more honest with myself about how much I actually eat and gives me a clear picture of how it will effect me. I also find that setting calories at 1 lb a week makes it easier. Exercise helps make up the difference with the calories, too. It does help to make healthier choices when you can, but if you really want a donut (my weakness this week!) then go ahead and have one! Just log it when you are done.
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    thanks everyone!:flowerforyou: so it does sound like i'm on the same page(at least with those that responded!) and that i'm on the right track. which is good to know because i don't think i could give the good things up. so i guess i'm doing good than because i have been logging everything in and trying to exercise everyday. and i usually come in at cals(sometimes over-usually on the weekends and sometimes under).
  • I also agree with what everyone is saying. Everytime I have tried a "diet" where I had to give up foods, I would stick with it for a little bit, but then I'd end up giving up and binging. It's all about finding that balance. I have found this to be the easiest thing to stick to. I've still been able to go out to enjoy the foods I love and meeting my calories for the day. Best of luck to you!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I still eat pizza sometimes or cake, etc. When I log in 2 slices of pizza and see the calorie total for it it makes me think twice before I get another piece(Do I have time to run an extra 1-2 miles to burn off a 3rd piece:blushing: ) AND I don't eat that way everyday. I use to give in at the middle of the day b/c I was straving, I swear I must have loked and sounded like the cookie monster, I have got myself in the habit of planning me meals and snacks for the day in the morning and I take everything with me so that way I'm not tempted when someone brings in Krispy Kreme doughnuts. i allow myself a "cheat day" once a week too, just not on days I don't work out
  • mbc83
    mbc83 Posts: 16
    Nobody wants to give up the good stuff, so to think it can be cut out of your diet completely is a bit unrealistic...just make sure you portion correctly and eat slower so you can tell when you are full. My biggest problem is that i get a little overzealous on cheat days and eat too fast. I slowed it down a bit and find myself enjoying it just the same while only eating half as much.