Is it worth draining and rinsing canned veggies?

Options
carld256
carld256 Posts: 855 Member
I normally drain and rinse canned veggies to remove the canning liquid. I've read in a number of places that this reduces sodium by about 40%, but I recently found a test where they actually measured this and got more like a 5% to 10% sodium reduction and a loss of vitamins as well.

So, now I'm wondering if I should really bother tossing the liquid or not. And if I do, how do I record the reduced sodium?

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Articles/EB11_DrainedVeg.pdf

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd still rinse them. Unless you drank the liquid the vitamins are gone anyway and, over time, a 10% reduction in sodium can be significant.

Here's a better idea, if you don't have access to a good supply of affordable fresh vegetables buy frozen. Not as good a fresh but better than canned.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I only eat canned beans, but I can say that rinsing canned beans reduces the gastric distress (fart factor) caused by beans. I think that's worth it. :laugh: I second buying fresh or frozen veggies for most things.
  • jrmav
    jrmav Posts: 15
    Options
    I'd still rinse them. Unless you drank the liquid the vitamins are gone anyway and, over time, a 10% reduction in sodium can be significant.

Here's a better idea, if you don't have access to a good supply of affordable fresh vegetables buy frozen. Not as good a fresh but better than canned.

Yes, frozen veggies are the way to go, taste MUCH better too!! I always rinse my tuna in water though......
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well of course, buying and cooking fresh or even frozen is better, I agree. That isn't always an option, and canned stuff keeps forever, which makes it pretty practical. I'm just curious about health benefits one way or the other, and how to record the difference, or should I just record full amount of sodium?
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I was told buying frozen veggies is better than buying fresh because they are frozen at the peak of their freshness instead of sitting in a grocery or walmart.... for who knows how long with who knows whos hands all over them lol unless you grow your own garden (I do :)) or have a farmers market close by with fresh produce!