Well, I'm confused... help.

Options
Hi everyone!

So today I went out to try and find a heart rate monitor so that I can keep better track of how many calories I'm burning. I went to Walmart and Canadian tire and both places only had pedometers which claimed to keep track of how many calories are being burned... My confusion comes from being curious about how a pedometer can keep track of calories burned if it doesn't track my heart rate? I guess my real question is can a pedometer be as accurate as a heart rate monitor when it comes to counting calories? If not, where in the world can i find a heart rate monitor that won't cost me and arm and a leg (in Canada). I'm pretty new to this and have never really cared about calories burned during a work out until i started trying to lose weight so really any input or advice would be great :)

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the pedometer estimates calories based on your age, height, weight, and gender. It will give you a good ball-park figure, but it won't be as accurate as a HRM. Have you looked online? You might be able to find a deal at Amazon.com or Ebay. Walmart online might have a better selection, too.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You enter your stats into the pedometer height, weight, age, gender, stride length and it will calculate your calories based on how many steps you take. It's only accurate if you're walking or running. I won't calculate if you are doing any other cardio activities (bike, zumba, kickbox ect) because it bases it's calculation on counting your steps. Good investment only for walkers and runners. If you are going to be doing other activities you need a actual HRM. I hear Polar gets good ratings. Use the search function and you'll probably get some good ideas on which ones work best.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can buy from Amazon in Canada but agree to buy a HRM WITH a chest strap. The Polar F4 is a great option (I'm biased :bigsmile: ). It doesn't cost a ton (around $65 US) and tracks calories burned while exercising. It doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles that other models have but I didn't need that.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar FT4 a couple of months ago and I love mine. It cost me $147 CAD and has a chest strap. I was worth every penny spent though. I don't know if you can find it cheaper on ebay. You may also try your local fitness store
  • dascenmr92
    dascenmr92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay sounds good! Thank you everyone! A HRM it is!! :-).
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use a polar FT60 hrm to monitor workouts, and enter my workouts in here. I also use a fitbit pedometer to track steps and activity. The fitbit syncs with mfp and updates when you enter your exercise calories. It learns your calorie burns over time from your hrm readings too. The two work together fantastically! Save your pennies and get both. Will totally transform your weight loss journey!!! I promise you that! X