PLEASE help me decide.

Options
emhow
emhow Posts: 79 Member
Okay so next Wed and Thurs I am going back to the University I dropped out of to visit my friends. There will probably be some alcohol drinking there.. but my issue is what food shall I eat? I need to bring food that is not perishable and can withstand a long car journey. What could I perhaps get away with eating every meal for two days? I was thinking maybe porridge sachets.. because I obviously won't be able to weigh things while I am there either? But then again that is no variation what so ever as far as nutrients is concerned... any advice? xx

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be the same thing at every meal? What will your friends be eating? Can you make that work somehow.

Porridge could work for a couple of meals. You could get a pre-pack salad and cold meats for your first meal (won't perish in a short space of time). You could try microwave pastas or soups - check the nutrition info to find the best one, some are OK. Pack lots of fruit to snack on.

Be careful to eat enough - or else the alcohol will play havoc!
  • Jo2926
    Options
    PS - you can't weigh stuff there, but you can weigh it before you go and put it into little bags or tupperware!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Bread, lunchmeat, peanut butter, fruit. Or you can not bring anything (a little weird) and practice your moderation and portion skills.
  • emhow
    Options
    Well I have limited funds and don't want to have to carry a massive bag full of food around with me once I get there. I can't eat what my friends eat because they're students! Most students cant afford to share meals and eat like utter rubbish! (alot of takeaways, instant meals, super noodles, processed things!) So it would be a lot easier for me if I just ate basically the same thing... I also won't be gymming on those days because you have to pay a lot for a pass! I'm so stuck!
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Maybe a bag of almonds?

Pop some stovetop popcorn (plain)

Bring some fruits that are usually peeled, you can probably peel it at wherever you are..
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just relax and enjoy your time . Worry about after life is for living
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, fruit ... veggies. I'm sure there is some way to cook there so ask your friends ahead of time and go from there.
  • emhow
    Options
    I definitely would normally just enjoy myself and dont fret about my diet but I'm going on a two week holiday to Greece the week after and I'm indulging then and not logging a thing! so i need to be good this week!... I suppose tinned stuff is a good idea :)
  • Jo2926
    Options
    I would not normally recommend this - but eating porridge for every meal is going to be hard for you and not balanced anyway, so - what about meal replacements? Its only a couple of days so you could survive, and it would be easy to keep calories under control. Don;t know about where you are but in UK there are lots of options, including cheap ones.
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lb over freshers - it's all about what you go for. I have veeeery nearly made it through freshers without ever getting a takeaway, very proud of that!

Porridge is great, but I only have it for morning meals - but the sachets are great because it does the measuring for you, you don't need to weigh anything, and it's super yummy and easy. I usually chop up half a banana and throw in a few raspberries.

For lunch I usually eat toast and peanut butter, or else soup. For snacks, nature valley bars are great - not completely low in cals (I think it's 180 for the packet which is 2), but they're still a lot better for you than snacking on choc etc. Also fruit/yoghurt/jelly is great. Dinner includes lotsss of veggies but that might be unrealistic for you if you're just visiting. I find stuff like pizza is fine once in a while, just cook say half the pizza (you can break a frozen one in half and only put half in the oven) and have salad with it.

But I would say if you are just going to be there for a few days, don't worry too much and just enjoy yourself. When my friends came to stay, I just ate what they did for the weekend which did include eating out, but I was having fun with friends so I let myself off.
  • emhow
    Options
    I would not normally recommend this - but eating porridge for every meal is going to be hard for you and not balanced anyway, so - what about meal replacements? Its only a couple of days so you could survive, and it would be easy to keep calories under control. Don;t know about where you are but in UK there are lots of options, including cheap ones.

Ah that's a good idea. Like those slim fast shakes or something? Yeah I'm from UK so you're right.. there are loads of things like that in like sainsburys. But then again, they are very pricey! hmmm.. some good ideas here!
  • emhow
    Options
    I've lost 60lb over freshers - it's all about what you go for. I have veeeery nearly made it through freshers without ever getting a takeaway, very proud of that!

Porridge is great, but I only have it for morning meals - but the sachets are great because it does the measuring for you, you don't need to weigh anything, and it's super yummy and easy. I usually chop up half a banana and throw in a few raspberries.

For lunch I usually eat toast and peanut butter, or else soup. For snacks, nature valley bars are great - not completely low in cals (I think it's 180 for the packet which is 2), but they're still a lot better for you than snacking on choc etc. Also fruit/yoghurt/jelly is great. Dinner includes lotsss of veggies but that might be unrealistic for you if you're just visiting. I find stuff like pizza is fine once in a while, just cook say half the pizza (you can break a frozen one in half and only put half in the oven) and have salad with it.

But I would say if you are just going to be there for a few days, don't worry too much and just enjoy yourself. When my friends came to stay, I just ate what they did for the weekend which did include eating out, but I was having fun with friends so I let myself off.

Haha Uni was where I gained my weight! I went to uni for a year and put on a stone.. so i definitely ate terribly! Ilike your ideas though, cereal bars are a good shout (even though they're procsessed and quite high carbs).. but you're right. they're better than some other crap! Jelly! yes! that's a good idea as well. cheap, small and easy to carry around. Love these ideas. Thank you!
  • Jo2926
    Options
    They are a bit pricey, but have a look at some of the less well know brands. You can sometimes get free samples in health food shops too!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If there are some kind of cooking facilities there, and you are not on some low carb diet, I see no reason you cannot take some pasta with you and a few packets of the sauces, just for those few days, you can even get microwave portions of pasta and rice now, and the rice is pretty basic. Or you could find some sort of organic canned meals and put them with salad. I don't think you should fret too much over a few days, irrespective of a holiday coming up. You can simply be cautious, there are usually healthier options, even with takeaway. Oh, and canned soup is another idea. Cereal bars, like trek or nakd(find them in asda, holland and barrett etc). You can also get organic and pretty natural ready meals in the health food stores.