Can you imagine how great that felt??

Options
kathleennf
kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
OK so I was never good at gym class in school and I really hated it. Two specific bad memories are related to the "President's Physical Fitness" test we had to take: I could never ever do push-ups or chin-ups. So- about 2.5-3 years ago I decided that I wanted to be able to do real, men's "military-style" push-ups (or at least ONE) by my 50th birthday.

Well- today is my 50th birthday. I DID IT!! Not only one- but 3! And I have to say it really "felt" good- to feel my body respond in a way it had never been able to respond before.

So- now I need a new goal and I can tell you it's going to be unassisted pull-ups. It's just a question of the date.

Replies

• tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    RIGHT ON!:drinker:

KEEP IT UP, AND I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW GOOD YOU FELT. JUST KEEP PUSHING AND YOU KNOW FROM HERE ON OUT YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO:smile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Great!

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!

:flowerforyou:

Happy birthday. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!
    Happy Birthday! Starting out to be a memorable one!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    THAT is AWESOME!!! such a great feeling to have accompished a goal! Good job
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!!! :bigsmile:
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that is awesome! I'm finally in pushup territory, but I've never in my life done a pullup so that is a huge goal of mine too :)
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good luck with the chin-ups, those are really hard (I think, I can't do one).
  • Breezelightly
    Breezelightly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! and congrats on your achieve:laugh:
    ment:-)
  • Cootiedoon
    Cootiedoon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "President's Physical Fitness" tests messed me up as well. One day a year we would all be forced to run a mile around the outside of the gym. No lead up. No pacing. No help. Just judgement. I've just completed the Couch to 5K program and discovered, not only CAN I run, I like it, and I'm good at it. Imagine how much sooner I'd have figured out this if I'd been coached instead of traumatized in grade school. BTW, I'm 20 years younger than you, which means that stuff was going on for WAY too long. Are they still doing that to kids?

And congratulations!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    OK so I was never good at gym class in school and I really hated it. Two specific bad memories are related to the "President's Physical Fitness" test we had to take: I could never ever do push-ups or chin-ups. So- about 2.5-3 years ago I decided that I wanted to be able to do real, men's "military-style" push-ups (or at least ONE) by my 50th birthday.

Well- today is my 50th birthday. I DID IT!! Not only one- but 3! And I have to say it really "felt" good- to feel my body respond in a way it had never been able to respond before.

So- now I need a new goal and I can tell you it's going to be unassisted pull-ups. It's just a question of the date.

You can do it!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    happy 50th! what a great way to celebrate!
  • kathleennf
    Options
    Great!

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!

:flowerforyou:

Happy birthday. :heart: :heart: :heart:

THanks! Just give me a couple more months and I will!!
  • kathleennf
    Options
    "President's Physical Fitness" tests messed me up as well. One day a year we would all be forced to run a mile around the outside of the gym. No lead up. No pacing. No help. Just judgement. I've just completed the Couch to 5K program and discovered, not only CAN I run, I like it, and I'm good at it. Imagine how much sooner I'd have figured out this if I'd been coached instead of traumatized in grade school. BTW, I'm 20 years younger than you, which means that stuff was going on for WAY too long. Are they still doing that to kids?

And congratulations!
    I have often thought the same thing. Gym class was horrible for me - and now I LOVE going to the gym. I'm still me- it's that now I get coached and helped instead of picked last and ridiculed. It's awesome to see that I can really do this stuff! And IDK if they still do it. I will ask my niece. She just graduated from high school last year.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Happy 50th birthday. I know exactly how you feel. I am 9 years older than you are and I can do exercises that I could not even imagine doing when I was 50. It is just amazing and wonderful what a body can do when you put your mind to it. Trust me....it gets only better from here onwards. May be 10 or more push-ups for your 60th birthday. Good luck and enjoy your sweet 50th birthday.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Girl, you SO Rock--I'm proud of you and

:heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love: HAPPY 50th B'day:heart::drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:

and many, many, MANY more!!!! :smooched:
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You girl, 50 and Rocking it.
    Happy Birthday
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Yaay congrats! Happy birthday!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    that's great! you conquered your goal....way to go!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    good for you!!
    i also HATED the "presidents phyiscal fitness test" .....didn't even get the stinking "participation" badge...:grumble:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That is the best birthday present ever... And it's from yourself :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!