Making it second nature...

Options
I have recently realized that I have FINALLY made healthy eating a habit. I still have my weak moments, as I'm sure everyone does. But I now know that I have made a HUGE step toward a healthier life.

To me, eating healthy and changing your lifestyle is like climbing a huge mountain. When you first realize that you need to change things you often feel overwhelmed as you stare up at the gianormous mountain you have to climb, but you take that first step because you can't take the detour... there is no other way. Yeah, at first you might look for the easy way up (diet pills, lose weight quick schemes, etc), but you eventually realize (years later in my case LOL), that you've been so busy looking for other ways to climb the mountain that you haven't even began to start climbing. That's when you realize that you just need to shut up and climb (in my case, I HATE logging food, but I know if I don't log I lose track, and backslide down the mountain). And that is what I have been doing, just slowly trying to climb. And I realized the other day that while I am not at the top of the mountain, I feel as though I can see the top.

It has become second nature to me now to try and choose healthier food when I go out to eat, to choose water instead of soda, and to treat myself occasionally (keyword: OCCASIONALLY). I am no longer bitter and frustrated that I can't eat like my boyfriend (who has the metabolism of the road runner). I have learned AND accepted that what I put in my body is essentially what I get out of my body. If I eat healthy good foods I will feel full of energy and healthy. If I eat lots of processed sugary junk I will feel sleepy and fatigued and won't be able to concentrate in class. I am much more aware of what I eat, and I LOVE the fact that it has finally become second nature!!! Yay me!

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I have recently realized that I have FINALLY made healthy eating a habit. I still have my weak moments, as I'm sure everyone does. But I now know that I have made a HUGE step toward a healthier life.

To me, eating healthy and changing your lifestyle is like climbing a huge mountain. When you first realize that you need to change things you often feel overwhelmed as you stare up at the gianormous mountain you have to climb, but you take that first step because you can't take the detour... there is no other way. Yeah, at first you might look for the easy way up (diet pills, lose weight quick schemes, etc), but you eventually realize (years later in my case LOL), that you've been so busy looking for other ways to climb the mountain that you haven't even began to start climbing. That's when you realize that you just need to shut up and climb (in my case, I HATE logging food, but I know if I don't log I lose track, and backslide down the mountain). And that is what I have been doing, just slowly trying to climb. And I realized the other day that while I am not at the top of the mountain, I feel as though I can see the top.

It has become second nature to me now to try and choose healthier food when I go out to eat, to choose water instead of soda, and to treat myself occasionally (keyword: OCCASIONALLY). I am no longer bitter and frustrated that I can't eat like my boyfriend (who has the metabolism of the road runner). I have learned AND accepted that what I put in my body is essentially what I get out of my body. If I eat healthy good foods I will feel full of energy and healthy. If I eat lots of processed sugary junk I will feel sleepy and fatigued and won't be able to concentrate in class. I am much more aware of what I eat, and I LOVE the fact that it has finally become second nature!!! Yay me!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :drinker: I hope i will get there!!! I still crave pastas, fried foods, and sweets like crazy! :sad: Everytime i go out to eat with my increadably thin fiance i try to find excuses to cheat! :embarassed: If he helps me (like i have asked him to) i get pissed :explode: ...but i feel even worse if i cheat!

How long has it taken you?:flowerforyou:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Amen sister! lol:drinker:

You soooo hit the nail on the head. And by the way you are on the top of the mountain, you are walking the ridge! Just because your not your goal weight, doesn't mean you haven't reached the top. To me the biggest challenge was not my goal weight, but the life style change. Everyday, is still a choice to be healthy, that's why I say you are walking the ridge at the top of the mountain. But you are there at the top for sure! Good for you! Also what's great about being at the top is that you can "see" things more clearly, although there might be some cloudy days, lol.

Congrats on your new outlook on life!:flowerforyou:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    It has been a long (VERY LONG) process. I am 25 now, have been overweight since puberty, and really started trying to address my weight issues when I was 19. I used and abused the 'easy ways out' until the middle of last year. After losing 30 pounds 3 or 4 different times and always gaining it back (plus some), I realized I needed to take a different approach. So, instead of trying to lose the weight fast, I made a new years resolution to lose 1 pound a week. It's been slow-going, but I have lost and kept off 9 pounds so far. I've had several back slides, but with each one, I learn more and more about myself.

The thing the helped me the most was gaining knowledge. I read as much as I could about healthy eating, then I went to a nutritionist and REALLY listened to what she had to say. I found 2 specific books really really helpful, "You on a Diet" and "KISS: Guide to Weight Loss". Both books break down dieting, exercising, and healthy eating in everyday terms that anyone can understand. You on a Diet explains what happens to your body when you eat certain things, and it goes into detail. If I know what will happen to my body before I put that sugar glazed donut in my mouth, it helps me make better decisions about what I should eat.

The best advise I can give is DON'T GIVE UP... not matter what, no matter how many times you break down and eat an entire bag of cookies, or an entire container of ice cream, keep going! Don't wait until Monday, or after the Holidays... your body doesnt' know the difference. Don't give up and you WILL eventually get there!!!
  • Wantabe
    Wantabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options

It has been a long (VERY LONG) process. I am 25 now, have been overweight since puberty, and really started trying to address my weight issues when I was 19. I used and abused the 'easy ways out' until the middle of last year. After losing 30 pounds 3 or 4 different times and always gaining it back (plus some), I realized I needed to take a different approach. So, instead of trying to lose the weight fast, I made a new years resolution to lose 1 pound a week. It's been slow-going, but I have lost and kept off 9 pounds so far. I've had several back slides, but with each one, I learn more and more about myself.

The thing the helped me the most was gaining knowledge. I read as much as I could about healthy eating, then I went to a nutritionist and REALLY listened to what she had to say. I found 2 specific books really really helpful, "You on a Diet" and "KISS: Guide to Weight Loss". Both books break down dieting, exercising, and healthy eating in everyday terms that anyone can understand. You on a Diet explains what happens to your body when you eat certain things, and it goes into detail. If I know what will happen to my body before I put that sugar glazed donut in my mouth, it helps me make better decisions about what I should eat.

The best advise I can give is DON'T GIVE UP... not matter what, no matter how many times you break down and eat an entire bag of cookies, or an entire container of ice cream, keep going! Don't wait until Monday, or after the Holidays... your body doesnt' know the difference. Don't give up and you WILL eventually get there!!!

Those sound like good books. I think I will go to Books a Million and see if I can find them. Thx.