Colonics!

Options
Colonics is something that is difficult to get excited about however I have done them. However not sure if it is a good weight loss aid and if it is how many times a month (or a week) do you think will be helpful?

Replies

• glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    It isn't going to change your fat %... Do you have some medical reason for doing them?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the point. You'll just clean out your bowel and then put food back in it. Its not really going to aid in weight loss at all. I would also think there is some unnecessary risk associated with them. Never done it and not entirely sure what it involves though. I have had a colonoscopy and that was entirely unpleasant.
  • GelinaKnows
    GelinaKnows Posts: 46
    Options
    I literally go to the bathroom #2 about twice a week if lucky (TMI I know, but LOOK at the TOPIC!) I've been looking into colonics, NOT a do it yourself stupidly expensive way to buy fiber, but an actual pull it all out by a trained professional colonic. They suggest there can be as many as 8-10 meals in there at any given time if you're stopped up, & due to a medication I am on, I am going on 4 years of constipation. Literally, going once or twice a WEEK for years. I KNOW I need to clean out. I had a tummy tuck in 2006, was down to a zero (WAAY too skinny, I've been a 5ish the last six years till now) but oh man, my belly ALWAYS is tight! It's NOT the surgery, it's gas & bloating & constipation. UGH...I AM looking FORWARD to it!!!!) :)
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is awful (to the last poster)! I can't imagine just going that few of times a week. When I was prego, I went for like 7 days once and I was in sooo much pain. Hope you can get relief soon. Also, have you tried more healthy fats? Avocados, almonds, coconut oil, Salmon?? I noticed when I increased my healthy fat intake i was going to the restroom more. Several times a day.
  • DCockburn
    DCockburn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons per se, I however tend to be very constipated sorry if that is gross it is just the truth. I don't do them every month but when I do feel like my body is not evacuating as it should I do them. I have heard that people have lost weight but it is probably mostly just waste and water.
  • DCockburn
    Options
    Right it is at first an unpleasant experience and it is so whenever I haven't done them in a while but after those first few times I know what to expect. If you find a GOOD/EXCELLENT person that is certified in a clean environment (like I did) there is no unpleasant situation to worry about. I tend to use them when I feel I am not evacuating enough and my belly is really raised. Also knowing that i recently had one prevents me from eating things I shouldn't at least for a few weeks lol
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've done them and it's not a good weight loss aide... It can help you feel lighter or cleaner or less full for a couple days, but as soon as you eat again your colon is going to fill up. You might notice an immediate weight loss, but it won't be helpful for the long term. Doing it too often can strip the healthy bacteria, too, so it's important to replace what you're stripping.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It would not be a good weight loss tool, really. However, I have done 3. When I first gave up Gluten I decided to "clean out" the pipes of all the gluten/wheat, to help me really determine if that was my issue (it was).
  • DCockburn
    Options
    I literally go to the bathroom #2 about twice a week if lucky (TMI I know, but LOOK at the TOPIC!) I've been looking into colonics, NOT a do it yourself stupidly expensive way to buy fiber, but an actual pull it all out by a trained professional colonic. They suggest there can be as many as 8-10 meals in there at any given time if you're stopped up, & due to a medication I am on, I am going on 4 years of constipation. Literally, going once or twice a WEEK for years. I KNOW I need to clean out. I had a tummy tuck in 2006, was down to a zero (WAAY too skinny, I've been a 5ish the last six years till now) but oh man, my belly ALWAYS is tight! It's NOT the surgery, it's gas & bloating & constipation. UGH...I AM looking FORWARD to it!!!!) :)

Yes it is good to find a certified person that has done it for at least 3 or more years and perhaps someone that has homeopathy certification. It is definetly not a good thing to do yourself and it in some states you got to get a medical prespcription for it (it is best to find someone that gives you an unlimited prescription to save on money). That is really bad your situation and I hope that colonics (from a professional) will help you. It did me as I myself can get constipated at times and I do that in order to get that out and it really helps me, but I dont do all the time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "Its health benefits have long been endorsed by the likes of Madonna, Princess Diana and, of course, Gillian McKeith.

But now doctors claim that far from being good for you, colonic irrigation might actually be dangerous."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2020983/Colon-cleansing-health-benefit-Jennifer-Aniston-Dianas-fad-bad-you.html

""The vast majority of standard healthcare professionals would not endorse colonic hydrotherapy for any reason," says Dr. David Armstrong, a gastroenterologist and associate professor at McMaster University's department of medicine."

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/health/are-colonics-safe

"In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

* Increase your risk of dehydration
    * Lead to bowel perforations
    * Increase the risk of infection
    * Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cleansing/AN00065

"Homeopathic "remedies" enjoy a unique status in the health marketplace: They are the only category of quack products legally marketable as drugs."

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html
  • DCockburn
    Options
    That is awful (to the last poster)! I can't imagine just going that few of times a week. When I was prego, I went for like 7 days once and I was in sooo much pain. Hope you can get relief soon. Also, have you tried more healthy fats? Avocados, almonds, coconut oil, Salmon?? I noticed when I increased my healthy fat intake i was going to the restroom more. Several times a day.

That is good advice.
  • DCockburn
    Options
    I've done them and it's not a good weight loss aide... It can help you feel lighter or cleaner or less full for a couple days, but as soon as you eat again your colon is going to fill up. You might notice an immediate weight loss, but it won't be helpful for the long term. Doing it too often can strip the healthy bacteria, too, so it's important to replace what you're stripping.

Yes the Doctor gives me a drink to replenish that and advices to eat plain yogurt as well.
  • DCockburn
    Options
    "Its health benefits have long been endorsed by the likes of Madonna, Princess Diana and, of course, Gillian McKeith.

But now doctors claim that far from being good for you, colonic irrigation might actually be dangerous."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2020983/Colon-cleansing-health-benefit-Jennifer-Aniston-Dianas-fad-bad-you.html

""The vast majority of standard healthcare professionals would not endorse colonic hydrotherapy for any reason," says Dr. David Armstrong, a gastroenterologist and associate professor at McMaster University's department of medicine."

"In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

* Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems"

"Homeopathic "remedies" enjoy a unique status in the health marketplace: They are the only category of quack products legally marketable as drugs."

That is why it is important to replenish with electrolytes drink (which the doctor gives me) and to eat plain yogurt. If it is a professional they should minimize the perforations and as far as infection, I have noticed if I am sick and do it, I recupearte faster. It is also important to go to a clean professional place. I think overall though that it can be used as a tool just in moderation especially for constipated people, but it may not be effective for long term weight loss.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure fiber is nature's colonic. i feel squeaky clean inside!
  • tmknoll
    tmknoll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have completed 2 of 3 sessions of Colon Hydrotherapy. It's not fun but it certainly does clean you out. Whether constipated or running at full speed, it can certainly help. I go to a place that has a special machine, you never feel unclean, the water is purified and the atmosphere is relaxing (as much as it can be when your are flushing out your colon).

I had read some time ago that if your colon is not healthy your gut processes cannot work efficiently. Although there can be some weightloss as fecies are removed, it is NOT a weightoss tool. It is all about keeping your gut working properly.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

That is why it is important to replenish with electrolytes drink (which the doctor gives me) and to eat plain yogurt. If it is a professional they should minimize the perforations and as far as infection, I have noticed if I am sick and do it, I recupearte faster. It is also important to go to a clean professional place. I think overall though that it can be used as a tool just in moderation especially for constipated people, but it may not be effective for long term weight loss.

As the poster pointed out with the links, there are no medically accepted benefits of "colon cleansing" and even evidence that these procedures can be harmful. As for the person doing it being a "professional," someone can call themselves a professional, and even have some trappings of medical equipment, but that does not necessarily mean that they have met any specific training guidelines, have any certifications from recognized medical organizations or governmental agencies, or that they even have clear standards of clinical practice. With some types of "alternative" practitioners, what it means to be a "professional" is very fuzzy.

If you have trouble with constipation, I would suggest trying to address the cause of the constipation, or adjust your diet in ways to aid with constipation. I am no stranger to this problem myself, and have taken medicine that makes it considerably worse. As other posters have suggested, you probably want to start with *slowly* increasing your fiber intake and making sure to eat plenty of healthy fats. I find that a lack of fat in my diet is very problematic with respect to constipation.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My colon has a sign that says "one way" and my *kitten* has a sign that says "no entry". If I have a problem keeping traffic moving, I call my favorite traffic cop - Officer Metamucil.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have completed 2 of 3 sessions of Colon Hydrotherapy. It's not fun but it certainly does clean you out. Whether constipated or running at full speed, it can certainly help. I go to a place that has a special machine, you never feel unclean, the water is purified and the atmosphere is relaxing (as much as it can be when your are flushing out your colon).

I had read some time ago that if your colon is not healthy your gut processes cannot work efficiently. Although there can be some weightloss as fecies are removed, it is NOT a weightoss tool. It is all about keeping your gut working properly.

How does it help? What medical benefit do you derive?
  • GelinaKnows
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know I didn't START the topic, but I was ABOUT to when I saw this one! :) I AM going to get it done this one time, to see if I can start fresh with the good fats & fiber with it clean, & go from there. I can't imagine doing it more than once, as I think I've learned the correct way to do things, but that jump start would definitely be nice, & healthy for me. I know it's a 'poop' conversation, but OMG I'd LOVE to go every morning like most people!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options

The drinks and the yogurt are because colonics can clear out good colon bacteria. It is probiotics that they give you, not electrolytes. I used to be severely constipated and even had a few colonics. Once I started drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of fiber, I started going everyday. If you do colonics too often, it can actually make you more constipated because your body becomes dependent on them.