Healthy Recipes needed for camping trip!

Options
zombilishious
zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
We're taking the kids on a week-long primitive camping trip to Mammoth Cave, KY next month. I really need some food ideas - both things I can make fresh and stuff I can make in advance. Ingredients and pre-made items have to travel well in a cooler packed with ice or be stable without refrigeration. When I say primitive, I mean as close to caveman style sleeping as I'm going to get!

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Get a stick, find a bear cave... oh wait, that's probably not all that healthy now that I think about it.
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    we took lots of fresh apple, bananas, a watermelon , chicken breast tenders and huge container of mrs dash (garlic and onion) potatoes to cook in the coals of the fire, onions , also had lots of already cut up veggies, ready eat or grill. and took a big pot to make oatmeal for breakfast on the campfire..
    use your imagination.. you will be amazed at what you come up with.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't know the area that you will be camping in so I don't know if you will be fishing. If you can catch walleye or a similar fish:

Mash a banana on top of the panfrying or bbquing fish and top that with just enough dry breadcrumbs to cover both then drizzle a BIT of margarine on top. Loosely cover with foil so that the fish dish gets a bit crispy but not overdone.

It sounds weird but tastes great. I had it at a northern Ontario fishing lodge years ago where they called it Bell Lake Smash. Have been making it ever since.

Have a great time!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Lean ground beef or steaks, put in a foil packet with onion, mushshrooms and a beef bouillon cube. Serve with baked potatoes that you cook in the fire. If you wanted to be healthier, you could do a veggie with it instead. Zuchini and onions in a cast iron skillet is super easy and tasty.
    Oatmeal for breakfast....
    Get some good quality hot dogs and whole wheat buns.
    Lots of fruit...
    A soup or stew would be nice, except it will probably be hot outside.
    PB & J
    Usually we hike enough that I don't worry TOO much food when we camp.
    If you mix a large can of peaches and a yellow cake mix together in a dutch oven (no oil eggs, just peaches, heavy syrup and cake mix) it makes a pretty good "cobbler" and not TERRIBLE for you.
  • abejita803
    Options
    Search foil cooking and you will find tons of recipes to try. In BoyScouts when we go camping, we have the boys pre cut veggies and then we add ground beef for the meat eaters in aluminum foil to place on top of fire. Oatmeal is good for breakfast or fresh fruit to avoid the sugary things like donuts, pastries, etc.
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am not a camper but I do subscribe to Sunset Magazine and they always have some really great tips and recipes for camping. Just in case you are not familar with Sunset Magazine it happens to be a magazine that focuses on the life style of the West.