What's your favorite "diet" food??

Options
I haven't really "dieted" in several years, I'll admit it *shame* so I'm not really "up" on all the good tasting, low calorie diet foods that are out there now.

I'm going shopping tomorrow and I really want to load up on some convenient, low calorie foods that I can just toss in my purse and go. But, I also don't want to spend a lot of time searching nutrition info on the packages while I shop, so I thought I'd ask everyone's opinion on their favs. :) So, what diet foods do ya'll find in your grocery cart often?

Replies

• Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    asparagus! I eat it raw sometimes, roast it sometimes, grill it sometimes. And I find it filling so it really works for me.

my other favourite diet food is NOT buying things. If i buy those little 100calorie packs of cookies then, shockingly, I EAT THEM! If I just don't let stuff into my house then I don't eat it. I always tell myself I can run down to the store to buy a chocolate bar if I get really desperate! but that rarely happens.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you like Peanut butter, try PB2 or Betty Lou's just great stuff... both dried peanut butter (they remove the oil)... you add water and it is 45 cal and 1.5 g fat for 2 TBSP! :):) Also, if you need salty, chippy type food, try Smart Fries! :)
  • jennatals
    jennatals Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Lara Bars!
    They're great snacks with super natural ingredients. They tend to only have 3. things in them: Dates, nuts, and a form of fruit. I'm addicted and they taste so yummy.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Chipins! Just the plain old sea salt kind.
  • unhatter
    unhatter Posts: 3
    Options
    I buy fresh fruits (cantaloupe, pineapple, honeydew) cut and divide them in little containers. It makes enough to last a week; I'll eat them for breakfast or for snack.

12 ounce V8 Juice for snacks

100 calorie popcorn for snack

Individually packaged Salman/fish for quick & easy dinner (grill/oven)

Ready to eat skillet meals in the frozen section, look for low calorie kinds.

Healthy Choice Chicken Noodle Soup (1 can = 180 cal)

Orange/apple/grape for quick snacks

Bagel thins (100 cal)

Pre-cooked chicken breasts, put in microwave for 3 minutes and it's ready to eat. I put it on top of my salads, with zero cal. Salad dressing (6 ounce chicken = 200 cal.)

Low cal turkey or ham slices $ 35 cal slices bread for sandwiches
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Almond butter on celery sticks
  • StephieSims
    Options
    If you like Peanut butter, try PB2 or Betty Lou's just great stuff... both dried peanut butter (they remove the oil)... you add water and it is 45 cal and 1.5 g fat for 2 TBSP! :):) Also, if you need salty, chippy type food, try Smart Fries! :)

I LOVE peanut butter!! It's one of my favorite foods. I didn't even know dried peanut butter existed so thanks so much for the info!!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't classify anything as 'diet' food. Such a horrible way to think of things. I just think of things in terms of how 'healthy' like unprocessed and it's automatically ok for me. :P

Favorites: cottage cheese, greek yogurt, peanut flour, steamed asparagus, baby carrots, quest bars, homemade protein bread, tuna on rice cakes, and pineapple. <---I don't think I will be able to live without those when I have to start losing weight down the road.
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    peanut butter and oatmeal.......
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    I don't classify anything as 'diet' food. Such a horrible way to think of things. I just think of things in terms of how 'healthy' like unprocessed and it's automatically ok for me. :P

Favorites: cottage cheese, greek yogurt, peanut flour, steamed asparagus, baby carrots, quest bars, homemade protein bread, tuna on rice cakes, and pineapple. <---I don't think I will be able to live without those when I have to start losing weight down the road.

whats peanut flower??
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    This Fig Walks Into a Bar...

Really. They're cereal bars from Trader Joes that taste just like a big 'ole Fig Newton. 120 calories, filling snack, super yummy.
  • Irish_Lanie
    Irish_Lanie Posts: 100
    Options
    Kashi
    Skinny cow
    Protein shakes
    fruit
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

whats peanut flower??
    It's the ground peanuts without the oil. Kind of like that pb2 stuff everybody talks about but this is just the peanut flour with nothing else added. Used for cooking (peanut sauces, etc), baking, or peanut butter. I usually mix it with sugar free maple syrup to make peanut butter or water and a small amount of honey or sweetner.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Dr. Kracker flatbreads - They're really hard and crispy, so they take a while to eat. They're whole grain and have lots of seeds.

Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine Hommus - Great with raw veggies. It's the lowest fat hummus on the market, so you can eat your fill.

Raw Cashews - 1/4 cup is 170 cals, and the protein and fat keep you full a long time. Raw cashews are sweet, too.

Salad Greens - In my area, Trader Joe's has the least expensive organic bagged greens. I always keep some around.

Casa's Chicas Salsa - The love of my life! It's my salad dressing, soup ingredient, dip, etc. I owe my weight loss to salsa!!

Rye Vita Rye Crisp Crackers - Yeah, they're awful alone, but great with hummus or salsa. They add tons of fiber to keep your blood sugar level.

Green Smoothies - In a blender throw 1/2 apple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 orange, 2 handfuls of spinach & a little water. A date for sweetness and a bit of parsley or ginger for interest.

Liquid Stevia sweetner - It doesn't kill brain cells like nutrasweet. 2-3 drops in a tall glass of water with a squeeze of lemon.

Beans - All kinds. They keep you full and keep your blood sugar level. They ward off sugar cravings. Keep serving to 1/2 cup and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!!
  • StephieSims
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions everybody! I'm making out my shopping list as I'm reading! :-D
  • SuperSaraLynn
    Options
    Broccoli and Spinich dip by Concepts(made with real yogurt). This is so delicious - it's like a treat.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm going shopping tomorrow and I really want to load up on some convenient, low calorie foods that I can just toss in my purse and go.
    "To go" foods:
    Rice cakes
    Fruit & nut granola bars
    Pealed orange in ziplock baggie
    Left over air-popped popcorn in ziplock baggie
    Pealed hardboiled egg w/ salt & pepper in ziplock baggie
  • PrettyGrit
    PrettyGrit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms by far! 100g is only 22 calories fantastic dry fried with eggs for a very filling and low cal, high protein, fast to cook dinner.
    Plus they taste like meat if you add herbs and sea salt and pepper.
  • collywot
    collywot Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms by far! 100g is only 22 calories fantastic dry fried with eggs for a very filling and low cal, high protein, fast to cook dinner.
    Plus they taste like meat if you add herbs and sea salt and pepper.

Better yet, pour the egg into a giant flat mushroom and have an omelette ON your mushroom.