Replies

• jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm the pickiest eater, and I don't think whey protein is that bad. I have vanilla from optimum gold.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    Really? I'm the pickiest eater, and I don't think whey protein is that bad. I have vanilla from optimum gold.

i'm super picky, and i have a hard time eating things i don't like because of gag reflexes. i can't eat mashed potatoes because of the texture, the minute it comes near my mouth i start gagging...if i put it in my mouth i'll literally get sick.

i'm going to try and look around for other brands, or pick up some vanilla and try out some of the things casper posted.
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the best protein shake I've tried and love is by Optimum called Nitro Core 24, they come in several different flavors and so far Extreme Cookies and Creme is my fav...

You can check out the reviews below:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/nitrocore.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    True true Dakkie, that's the best way.

I'm building muscle mass. Trying to get 200 grams of protein a day, and specifically to get a nice dose right after exercise. Tuna gets old. Supplementation can be useful.

Whey protein is not some bizarre drug, it's just dehydrated cheese powder. Still a food.

That's what they say about Cheez Whiz, too. :laugh:

Seriously--I know you are serious about your program and have done your research and you are following the guidelines you think are best for your goals. And what you are following is a conventional practice within that community, so it's not my place to comment specifically about your choices. I think the evidence is mixed at best concerning the efficacy of the 2+ g of protein/kg body weight, but it certainly isn't harmful, so, again, I would never criticize or even comment on your personal program. I think your achievements have been great.

But I still have my own general opinion which, like most people, I feel compelled to share from time to time. And I do think that the infatuation with protein in our culture is misplaced and misguided.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have the best method for eating my protein.

It's called the "real food method".

I eat a balanced diet that contains everything I need. I prepare my protein with great spices, sauces, marinades, and other tasty ingredients.

It "goes down" great anytime--and so many different varieties, too!

Agreed.
    My problem is my sweet tooth. It's HUGE. I'd rather drink a shake or eat a protein bar and satisfy it that way. It helps get my cals/carbs/proteins up and makes me happy. :laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    True true Dakkie, that's the best way.

I'm building muscle mass. Trying to get 200 grams of protein a day, and specifically to get a nice dose right after exercise. Tuna gets old. Supplementation can be useful.

Whey protein is not some bizarre drug, it's just dehydrated cheese powder. Still a food.

That's what they say about Cheez Whiz, too. :laugh:

Seriously--I know you are serious about your program and have done your research and you are following the guidelines you think are best for your goals. And what you are following is a conventional practice within that community, so it's not my place to comment specifically about your choices. I think the evidence is mixed at best concerning the efficacy of the 2+ g of protein/kg body weight, but it certainly isn't harmful, so, again, I would never criticize or even comment on your personal program. I think your achievements have been great.

But I still have my own general opinion which, like most people, I feel compelled to share from time to time. And I do think that the infatuation with protein in our culture is misplaced and misguided.

Fair enough, and thanks for the regard.

At the end of the day, you gotta eat something. Better higher protein than high,,, what - transfat? :smile:
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome recipes Casper... look forward to trying some of them... particularly, the pumpkin pie!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Casper: Thanks SO much for the yummy recipes now I can't wait for lunch!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Bump
  • Sweettart
    Options
    The pumpkin pie one is tasty! Having it right now!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I use the Gold Standard 100% whey protein. I like the chocolate and the vanilla ice cream. It actually doesn't have a big vanilla taste to it. They have sixteen different flavors. There's a tropical punch flavor (i've never had it). I do the chocolate and vanilla ice cream because I love the flavor and they're not filled with alot of artificial ingredients like some of the flavors are.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use the Gold Standard 100% whey protein. I like the chocolate and the vanilla ice cream. It actually doesn't have a big vanilla taste to it. They have sixteen different flavors. There's a tropical punch flavor (i've never had it). I do the chocolate and vanilla ice cream because I love the flavor and they're not filled with alot of artificial ingredients like some of the flavors are.

I use the same thing, vanilla.
  • sdb_colorado
    Options
    Do you like fruit? Mix protein powder with fruit & yogurt and either a little oj or skim milk and make a smoothie. I blend with powerful hand blender; delicious! You can use all kinds of fruit for this.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Casper, thanks for the recipes! I just sent them to my daughter. We were talking the other day and she said she know she doesn't always eat right. And alot of times she is not hungry in the morning but she can drink a shake before work. So I suggested some protein powder. The recipes will help her out.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kimmay
    kimmay Posts: 26
    Options
    The texture is what gets me too...

I recently bough Jillian Michaels Whey Protein in the vanilla flavor and I LOVE IT!!!

I mix it with a glass of vanilla soy milk and it tastes pretty yummy. Make sure to shake it up really well. I have also mixed a little into my coffee and that was pretty yummy too.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I consume the Herbalife range - 2 scoops of cappucino protein powder and 1 scoop of whey&soy powder, added to skim milk/ soymilk/ unsweetened fresh orange juice (great for a pick me up breakfast)!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've just (in the last week) started to use protein powder. I got PHD Chocolate & Mint. The taste is just about bearable if I down it in one. But I bought the damned stuff, so I'm gonna use it.:laugh:
    But I've taken note of the recomended powders, for when I get to the bottom of the sachet. I bought the smallest pack available, just in case it was yuck, it's still got 3 weeks worth in it tho.:ohwell:

I'm a veggie on a diet so the extra protein is useful.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I've just (in the last week) started to use protein powder. I got PHD Chocolate & Mint. The taste is just about bearable if I down it in one. But I bought the damned stuff, so I'm gonna use it.:laugh:
    But I've taken note of the recomended powders, for when I get to the bottom of the sachet. I bought the smallest pack available, just in case it was yuck, it's still got 3 weeks worth in it tho.:ohwell:

I'm a veggie on a diet so the extra protein is useful.

Chocolate & Mint?,,, Hmmm... Try it in some hot coffee. Might make an interesting latte kind'a thing. I've done that the chocolate and the vanilla and it was pretty good. I think the hot coffee dissolves the protein crystals and makes it less gritty.
  • Sweettart
    Options
    What about trying the chocolate mint in hot chocolate? They do have the diet hot chocolate which is only 25 calories