Are Avocados good to eat for low-carb diets?

Options
Funsoaps
Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
It says on here that 1 avocado has 14, or 17 carbs and I don't like to mix my carbs with high fats, it just helps me to not put on weight/lose it. I didn't realize they had such a high carb amount.

Who loses while eating avocados on a low-carb diet, just curious?

Replies

• ployjoy
    ployjoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Some days I'll eat half and avocado (or a whole one) as a snack. Yes, it is high in carbs, but half of it is dietary fiber (which you subtract from total carbs). And it's delicious and a great way to meet my fat macro.
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    Some days I'll eat half and avocado (or a whole one) as a snack. Yes, it is high in carbs, but half of it is dietary fiber (which you subtract from total carbs). And it's delicious and a great way to meet my fat macro.

Hmmm maybe I'll just do half of one at a time. The reason I ask is because I eat a lot of avocados thinking they were mostly a good fat, but didn't realize they were so high in carbs, and I've had a stall for a month.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2 says only 4g of net carbs in an avocado (200g minus skin)

there's 17g of fiber too which on US labels is included in carbs, but it's not carbs that are going in your blood stream. The sugar is only 1g per avocado.

I tend to eat half at a time mainly because of the calories - 322 cals from an avocado is a meal !
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2 says only 4g of net carbs in an avocado (200g minus skin)

there's 17g of fiber too which on US labels is included in carbs, but it's not carbs that are going in your blood stream. The sugar is only 1g per avocado.

I tend to eat half at a time mainly because of the calories - 322 cals from an avocado is a meal !

Thanks.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    To get true carbs of what you digest you need to subtract fiber from the total. The fiber you do not digest it is "insoluble". So with that said, they are fine for low carb eaters.