Bob Harpers eating advice

Options
I followed Bob Harpers advice in his new book and switched from cow milk to almond milk. Used it in my coffee this morning. It does taste a little funny. Hopefully I can stick with it. It has a lot less calories (sugars) and a good amount of calcium.

Oh what I don't understand is, that he doesn't want people to eat potatoes in any way. The good old plain boiled potatoe (of course no fried potatoe, mashed potatoe, chips......) can't be that bad, can it? It taste pretty good together with fish.

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have never read his book or know anything more about him other than from the Biggest Loser which I love. However, potatoes are very healthy and supply us with needed nutrients. They are a higher calorie vegetable for sure and depending on what we use for toppings, can be more calories than needed. I eat potatoes 3 times a week with dinner and won't give them up. I am losing weight too.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I think Bob has wrote one to many books..... lol I heard an interview with him a couple weeks ago and a couple of other skinny rules are no carbs after lunch and the worst go to bed hungry?? Man I wished I would have known some of these back when I started and maybe I could have lost a few pounds.... lol Kidding.... but seriously didn't have anything against Bob (I actually was a Jillian fan when they was both on the show) but I totally disagree with his approach here... I have lost a few pounds breaking everyone of the rules I mentioned and the one you did too.. I haven't read his book and after hearing what I have of it, won't be cause I am having success the way I have learned and am quite content being able to eat potatoes weekly and carbs throughout the day and my bedtime snack... lol But if it works for some than more power to them..... Best of Luck....
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have never read his book or know anything more about him other than from the Biggest Loser which I love. However, potatoes are very healthy and supply us with needed nutrients. They are a higher calorie vegetable for sure and depending on what we use for toppings, can be more calories than needed. I eat potatoes 3 times a week with dinner and won't give them up. I am losing weight too.

Potatoes aren't really veggies -- they're a starch! Remember that when logging food/counting vegetables. :-)

What does he say about sweet potatoes? The general consensus is that those are more healthful than white potatoes.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Seet potatoes are suppose to be great. The problem is, I don't like them, they taste different. I will try to follow most of Bob's rules but will still be eating my favorite golden potatoes (not for dinner) :wink:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Those rules sound arbitrary and silly.
  • 2bfitandhealthy
    Options
    I agree - he wrote too many books, and the whole other thing is that he is contradicting. I remember a time when he said "no one should ever cut out anything out of his/her diet" now it's "cut out potatoes"....this is why the general public (me included) is ALL confused as to what to do with diet/exercise. I am speaking from me personally - I've listened to too many people tell me how to eat, what to eat and when to eat that I literally got so stressed out I gained weight. This time, it's different - I'm eating my TDEE-15% and moving. I think the whole eat this, don't eat that, take carbs out, put them in, it's all so insane at this point...EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!!!! :), and PS: Potatoes fill me up, has fiber, protein, fat and carbs in it - there's nothing bad in a potato. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Those rules sound arbitrary and silly.

^^^^^^^
    THIS!!
  • kristinamariemc
    Options
    I'm a fan of Bob's although I do agree that some of his advice as was posted here seems arbitrary. I saw something today in a magazine that I wanted to share, howver, if for conversatiopn purposes if nothing else:

"Rule No. 1: Drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning and before every meal -- no excuses! It helps digestion and metabolism and it's great for your skin.

Rule No. 2: Eat lean protein at every meal (fish, chicken, eggs.) Bob always has eggs in his refrigerator because they're quick and easy.

Rule No, 3: Dedicate one day a week to "meatless day" -- no animal protein whatsoever. Focus on having more greens; you're never going to gain weight eating vegetables.

Rule No. 4: Go to bed hungry. Get on a routine so you don't have any food in your system at least three hours before you hit the sack. After five hours, your body will burn its own fat and sugar.

Rule No. 5: Eat berries and apples every day. They are high in fiber and antioxidants. The more fiber you eat, the more satisfied your body will be."

(Source: US Magazine 6-11-2012)
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    i love him but i do not follow his rules or read his books. he endorses weight loss supplements which i do not think is right. he is all in to make $$. again i LOVE him and love his workouts...but i live by my own rules, eat what i want, and i'm losing weight....i eat potatoes.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Potatoes are a great source of potassium & vitamin b6.. Really if you aren't allergic to them or having other problems from them then I don't see the problem. If it fits in your calories you will be fine
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    At first, I thought you were talking about Bob Barker, and I thought, what does he know, other than how much things cost?
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The USDA considers white potatoes to be a starchy vegetable just like corn and peas. Sweet potatoes are considered a red and orange vegetable. Sweet potatoes being better than white potatoes is considered a food myth, look it up and see it debunked; both can be part of a healthy lifestyle. I don't follow Bob's or Jillian's eating advice. For workouts they are pro and I am a Jillian Michael dvd addict, but some of the eating advice is not backed by a lot of science.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just follow my dietician's advice as it has been working for me so far. I like Bob and always watch Biggest Loser. But in saying that when I decided to change my lifestyle, the first thing I said to my dietician is I want to be able to eat foods I like or I'll never be able to do this. I cannot totally eliminate certain foods. I've made a lot of changes, added fruits and veggies, etc. It seems to be working for me and it is something I can continue doing after I reach my goal.
  • chipgirl25
    chipgirl25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am totally an "everything in moderation" girl. When it comes to food as soon as someone says I can't have it then I want it almost immediately. I don't like oysters and I am sure if I was told I couldn't eat them I would want to. I believe that if it is grown from the earth then it must be good for you. Natural not processed.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love red potatoes and eat them all the time. I dice them, skin on, add a little s&p, and roast them in the oven. 50 grams of these potatoes does not have many calories or carbs.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm sure his concern is about the GI (glycemic index) of white potaotes. They cause a spike in your blood sugar, a lot of white carbs like bread do too.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm sure his concern is about the GI (glycemic index) of white potaotes. They cause a spike in your blood sugar, a lot of white carbs like bread do too.

Harper is an idiot.

Unless you happen to be a diabetic who consumes a high carb, hypercaloric diet, GI has no relevance whatsoever.

http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh I laughed out loud about that Bob Barker comment-funny!
    His rules look pretty sensible and I am already doing most of them. Maybe that's why I think it makes sense...
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just someone else cashing in on peoples' desperation to find the next miracle cure to obesity and overweightness yet the people I have known who are not overweight, eat everything in moderation and follow their body's signals as to when to eat, and what to eat.