Dog training help

reese66
reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
I have raised three very well behaved dogs. You teach them the basics, correct them when they are wrong and praise them when they are right. My first one was not easy for him or me but we learned together and he was my favorite dog of all.

Problem> I got my boyfriend a puppy (Leo) for his Valentines. Leo has the qualities to be a great dog, but at this point he is nothing but a spoiled brat. I know puppies like to chew but am I trying to make my boyfriend understand that puppies should not learn that it's ok to chew on humans. He thinks it's ok for the dog to jump all over me when I trying to do something. He thinks ok to feed him off his plate. When I go to correct the dog the bf says "he's just a puppy," while I understand that, he should not be allowed to get away with things and should be told no. If I tell the dog to get off the bed, the bf say come here Leo and lets him stay, if I tell him no he tells him yes, on and on...

Am I wrong? Any advice?

Replies

• ValiCaly
    ValiCaly Posts: 111
    There is a saying..
    It is easier to stop a habit than to break a habit.

None of this will be cute when puppy is a full grown adult dog.
    What your b/f is allowing now will be an even bigger problem later on.
    JMO from owning many dogs.

On top of this it can create tension/fights between you two..
  • bcollins500
    bcollins500 Posts: 9 Member
    You are not wrong. Train the dog now. My sister has a puppy too and she lets him jump all over you when you enter her house. It is annoying. Correct the behaviour now and everyone will benefit later. Including the dog.:smile: