Air-popped popcorn: popper only, or stove top, too?

Options
My whole life we have popped our popcorn on the stove with a little oil in the bottom of the pan, crack the lid, sprinkle with salt (or Tony's, or now I have a jar of the ACT 3 seasoning mix from Sam's)

So, I hear a lot of people talk about air popped lately. Are they talking about the machine, or just that it isn't in a microwave?

Catherine :)

Replies

• MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    any thoughts??

Catherine
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just put the seeds in a brown paper lunch bag and but in the microwave for a few mins.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've heard of machines, but I use the microwave. I put the kernels in a paper bag and push the popcorn button. Then, I spray the popcorn with spray oil and salt, and it's done. That way, I save the calories from the oil.
    Hope this helps!
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    I heard on...I think Dr Oz ....last week that air popped popcorn is super healthy for you...I'm not sure if doing it in the pot with the oil is AS healthy (due to the oil) BUT I think if you use a good oil that is healthy for you (with omega fats) then it is quite healthy :)
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It refers to the popcorn popped in an air popper. The kind you pop on the stove with oil has more calories because of the oil. But I must say.....the kind popped on the stove with a lil oil is the best! It's the only kind I'll eat...
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I always do the stove top way too. I think air popped is with a machine, so you don't use any fat. I feel like it would be totally tasteless though! I like stove top cause you can still make it very healthy, just with a very small amount of fat, but you need a little bit of that in there to make it worth eating.
  • Canadyna
    Canadyna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have always used a machine and was craving some last night. When I went to pull it out I realized the last time we used the machine it caught fire (a very small electrical fire) and we threw it out. I knew you could do it on the stove, but didn't know how. I'll remember this for next time.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper but I recently saw this blog post and thought it was a good idea for someone who may not have an air popper or want to buy one.

http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2009/06/homemade-air-popped-microwaveable-popcorn/
  • lovelynn99
    lovelynn99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My Family and I use Stove Top too!
  • Audrey403
    Audrey403 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper machine I bought at target for about 20 bucks. I love it and have popcorn probably 4-6 times a week!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just put the seeds in a brown paper lunch bag and but in the microwave for a few mins.

this is what I do!
  • MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thx for all your input! :) I do love stove popped best (we use a small amount of peanut oil, or vegetable oil if I'm out of peanut oil. I've been reading soooo much about the awesomeness of coconut oil, I'll be trying that next :)

I only add a sprinkling of the seasoning, so we're not loading up with butter and such.

My boys and husband love it, too!

Mostly, I want to record my calories correctly and when doing the food add search there are sooo many. I think I'll just build my own recipe and I know it will be exactly what we are eating. I LOVE that recipe builder tool!!!

Thx again! Catherine

ETA - we haven't had a microwave in years... no bags here - homemade or store-bought! LOL
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased an air popper that requires no oil. It was crazy how a healthy snack turned not so healthy once you factored in the oil for the stove top method. Never tried the brown bag/microwave method.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think the way you do it is best! You can pick the kernels yourself and don't have to run your food through radiation or worry about not knowing what is actually in the bag. Air popped popcorn sounds good too. Just need to get the equipment!

Anything beats the microwave I hear.