Is it bad to exercise in the morning?

Options

Replies

• michelechavez
    Options
    If I waited until evening to exercise, I wouldn't do it. I'm a morning person.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    Exercising in the morning before breakfast is my favourite time of the day. It wakes me up and I feel fantastic. It's the best time of day for me to exercise.

I dont know who told you that working in the morning is bad, because it isnt at all... listen to your trainer and nutritionist they have given you good advice.

If working out in the morning works for you then stick with it :)
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i do a portion of my exercise before breakfast each morning.
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise at 4 am in the morning. If I feel hungry, I eat half a banana before working out.

I used to work-out in the evenings, but I have a problem with sleeping, its like my body is still wide awake 0_0.

I guess it does depend on each person.

I found that I can consistently exercise if I do it in the am. Consistency is important for me.

I take a protein shake after my workout and eat a sandwich after 3 hours. Don't notice much difference in terms of eating, since I log everything here.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • oliviachandler
    Options
    I work out in the morning, usually a half hour or so after I wake up, around 9. For the record, it is absolutely NOT bad at all to work out in the morning. First of all, it gives you a great kick start to your morning and to your metabolism, which ends up burning more calories throughout the day. You feel more awake, your blood is flowing, and you actually work out, because good chance after your long day at work your not as inclined to do it.

I also remember watching a show of Dr Oz, and he went to explain why it's better. Think of it as layers, if you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, you have three layers and all those calories to burn through before you actually get the juicy fat that you want to lose for weight loss. So, if you work out in the morning before breakfast, you immediately get straight to burning off more the fat!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, your body, and your schedule. Everyone is different. Some people can blast it at 3pm and some at 5am. I altered my workout schedule according to my life schedule, and it works for me .Granted, I don't need to lose weight. But I"m gaining muscle and definition, and I'm noticing a huge difference in my abilities.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Bah. If I don't workout in the morning, it generally doesn't happen at all. So far I've lost 16 pounds. It's just another of those diet myths out there.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i usually exercise before dinner so i'm less tempted to pig out (why sweat in vain). I tried a morning workout and I felt so dizzy because I hadnt hydrated in my usual all day style nor had i eaten in almost 12 hours by that time. it was all bad lol
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    When I first started working out I would do it around 7-8 in the morning because it was easier. I never experienced increased hunger, the worst I get is increased thirst because of how much I sweated. If you can manage that timeframe with no consequences that eventually null your efforts, keep at it.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The morning is usually the only time I exercise because I have so much energy and feel great in the morning. In the afternoon and evening, I have less energy, so I don't get as good of a workout.
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been told by my trainer and others that it's best to workout in the mornings....more energy throughout the day and you've got it outta the way ;-) Also, you can burn more calories from a morning workout vs an afternoon or evening workout! HTH!
  • rcclcruiser
    Options
    I'm the same as mathjulz. If I don't exercise in the morning, it usually doesn't happen at all.
  • rcclcruiser
    Options
    If I work out in the morning, I feel like working out again in the evening. If I don't work out by noon, it usually doesn't happen at all.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I personally can't workout without eating first.

But I have some pretty high burns.

Yesterday I burned 631 calories swimming for an hour. Today I burned 312 walking for an hour and 5 minutes on the treadmill at 2.5 mph. Today I ate a protein bar before my workout and I had tons of energy.
  • MMKE4ever
    MMKE4ever Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Within a half hour of rising and before you eat breakfast, do 20 minutes of cardio. Research has found that exercising before breakfast may help you burn fat more efficiently. If you can get outside, even better. Early morning sunlight helps your body naturally reset itself to a healthier sleep/wake cycle (regular indoor lights don't have the same effect).
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have always been told morning is the best time because it jumpstarts your metabolism and gets you moving and awake for the day.
  • kathyrazz
    kathyrazz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning and feel GREAT. I don`t eat before (just a few sips of water), and off I go. For whatever reason I feel stronger and run faster on an empty stomach. If I try to exercise later in the day it truly makes me feel sick, and it hurts (and no, that`s not just if I exercise immediately following a meal). I`ve also read that exercising first thing in the a.m. before you eat is better for fat loss, but from all of the other posts here, there are obviously differing opinions on that.

I don`t feel it makes me overeat for the rest of the day either...in fact because I`ve exercised at the start of my day it makes me feel a little high on myself, so I behave better all day. :-)
  • samlou22
    samlou22 Posts: 23
    Options
    i was told (by a real fintess freak) that am hours excercise BEFORE you eat is good, as it trains your body to be able to excercise on an empty tummy which helps with weight loss..somehow..apparently...not sure of the biology of it though, but she is as lean as anything, runs for miles and has even gone on to body building (which looks a bit scarey in my humble opinion!) hope this helps
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No it's no bad. Eat a very light Breakfast and go kill it.

Actually the Best time to hit the gym is a time when yo feel you have time to give it your all. Doesn't matter when it is. It's more important to get there and do the WORK.
  • Irish_Lanie
    Irish_Lanie Posts: 100
    Options
    I have always worked out in the morning. :)