How to be healthy when you travel?

Options
I am two weeks into my journey to a healthier me. I am doing very well so far but I’m about to leave for a business trip and will be on the road for eight days. I will be destined to eat restaurant and hotel food the entire time and I’m worried about blowing the momentum I have.

How do you stay healthy on the road? Any suggestions?

Replies

• TXPaul
    TXPaul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump

I leave tomorrow and need help!
  • nycalison
    nycalison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I know that I'm going to a restaurant, I'll go online and check calories and sodium before I go so that I know what I want to order before I even get there. MFP has a database too to check. Also, don't be afraid to be that guy who asks for all sauces on the side, extra veggies etc- good luck :)
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just be conscious of what you order. For breakfast - don't order eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and pancakes (like I would love to) - instead go for fruit and yogurt or oatmeal or eggs with a piece of whole grain toast. For lunch and dinner just try to stick with proteins, fruits and veggies. Order a small steak with veggies, grilled chicken breast, grilled fish etc. Avoid heavy sauces and you will do fine. Try to stick with water or tea to drink rather than alcohol (I always get lax when I have alcohol) or sodas.

Most hotels have exercise rooms - take advantage of them if you can. Also walk around the town you are visiting - move as much as you can.

We're heading off on a two week vacation next week. My goal is to maintain. I don't care about losing more during that time, I just don't want to gain, so I plan to follow my own advise....

Just remember you control what goes in your mouth. I have never been to a restaurant where I could not find something reasonable to eat - just ask and they will accommodate.

Best of luck to you.

Jean
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants will prepare food as you want it - without extra oil, grease, butter, etc. order grilled chicken and steamed veggies without any toppings. Ask for BBQ sauce on the side to dip it in. Get plain baked potatoes with salsa on the side. Order side salads with dressing on the side.

And definitely take advantage of workout facilities and walking as much as you can. And drink LOTS of water.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Bring your sneakers! Keep exercising and be conscious of what you eat. Check out the menu before you go so you have a game plan. I've traveled the last two weekends and I made a plan when I was going to workout and I picked healthier options on the menu. Safe travels!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    If the hotel had a fitness room, use it.
    Read the menus very carefully, fill up with a salad first, dressing on the side and just dip your folk into the dressing, that way you get the taste but not the calories.
    Soup is a good choice, but not if it's made with cream.
    Watch the booze! It's very easy to order a drink with your meal & than an other.:wink:
    Try to do as much walking as you can.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Check menus online. Try to build a walk into your day -- if you are in a city, then take a minute to explore. If you have time, your hotel probably will have a fitness center.

If you know that you will have a diet-buster meal, compensate by being SUPER healthy on the other meals. Breakfast is a great place to "save" calories. Take some granola bars and fruit with you.

Panera is always a good standby for me -- you can look online and build your own meal. You can even omit ingredients individually to see how it impacts the calories/macros - several of their salads have tortilla strips, or nuts, or blue cheese, you can ask to omit those items, or put them on the side. You can see the calories in their various dressings in order to choose your best option.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think all the advice given so far is excellent. I would also recommend downloading the MFP mobile app. There are many restaurant foods loaded in the database and it can help you to make better choices when you eat out. Just because it's a salad doesn't mean that its low cal knowing what the nutrition info is helps. I've also started researching the menus online of the restaurants that I know I'll be eating at so that I can preplan what I will be ordering.

One last thing, if it is a company meeting normally they will ask if you have any special dietary restrictions. I would let them know that you do have dietary restrictions.
  • moksumike
    moksumike Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out to much if you weight goes up a little while traveling. My weight will go up 5 or 6 pounds when I travel just because of water weight. Restaurant food has a lot more sodium and it will show up as water weight. When you get back to your normal routine, it will all come off within a few days. And drink lots of water, it helps flush out the extra sodium.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have been on several vacations since I started using MFP and watching calories... like everyone else said try and see if the restaurant has an online menu you can look at beforehand with nutrition content listed.

Basically, just use common sense. Don't order things with cheese sauces, cream dishes...etc. Portion control and everything in moderation are my two mottos :bigsmile:

Have a great time!
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am a road warrior too. Some of my fave places to eat are Panera, Chick Fil A (depending on where you live) and Thai/Chinese restaurants. Mellow Mushroom also has a light menu and will give you a print out if you ask.

If I am going somewhere else, I search the web or MFP for their nutritional values to make good decisions.

For breakfast, I don't do the hotel breakfast. I buy some milk and cereal and fruit at a local grocery store and eat that for breakfast in my room (use the room fridge and a cup or plastic bowl).

I also bring protein bars and snack food because offices I go to generally have plenty of bad snack choices provided. Having my own things lets me turn down bad options.

Plenty of water is vital. You dehydrate on the road.

Also, I find that if the hotel gym is lacking, I will go up and down the stairs for a great workout.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I travel I make sure there is a refrigerator in the hotel room I'm staying at. Then, if close enough, I walk to the grocery story and get vital foods that will help me stay healthy--fruit, veggies, water, nuts. Whenever you get the chance to do exercise--take it! Walking to places helps. If the hotel has a cardio room or pool use them! Hope this helps!

Karrie
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    We always book a room that has a small kitchen (Residence Inn or Summerfield Suites) and I prepare a few meals during vacation.
  • theosgoods
    theosgoods Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jean,

That's a very good idea. The items we eat at home can now be set aside and replaced with those we don't eat that often. We already know what's high in caloric value, the point I'm making is to keep the course. Here's an example of trying new foods we don't normally use.

The best to all.

Bob
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks into my journey to a healthier me. I am doing very well so far but I’m about to leave for a business trip and will be on the road for eight days. I will be destined to eat restaurant and hotel food the entire time and I’m worried about blowing the momentum I have.

How do you stay healthy on the road? Any suggestions?

Portion control and moderation. I go for business trips all the time...I eat at the same places as everyone, however I dont get Burgers and Fries for every meal.

I do watch my calories as best I can when I am on a trip, but eating at a TDEE Maintenance weight is not bad. the only thing that usually happens is a bit of water retention from the increased sodium, which comes off after being back for a couple of days.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Some great trips you have there. I have been traveling a bit lately also and eating healthy is always very hard (especially when you are on a business trip and may have to do meals with clients etc). But just monitor portions and you should be good. Have a good breakfast. I try to take some protein bars or nuts for snacks. If you get salads, then get dressing on the side. Ask for sauce on sides (if possible) and grilled or baked is better then deep fried. Try to order some healthy vegetables for your sides and if possible try to get in a workout during your travels. Just try your best and if it is hard, then don't be so hard on yourself. You can start again once you get back to routine. Good luck.
  • TXPaul
    TXPaul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I was just worried about losing my momentum.

I went to a Wedding today and there was absolutely nothing I could eat. I just had a glass of water.

I feel better about it after reading these posts.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been traveling 50% of my time for the last few months, and celiac disease, which means I need to be gluten free ALL THE TIME...not easy to do reliably when other people are preparing your food. It's no picnic but having a hotel room with at least a fridge and a microwave (which...actually I have not used yet) has been an absolute MUST.

I usually travel alone so it's easy to hit the grocery store and buy food for breakfast in my room (free hotel breakfasts rarely include healthy foods) and to pack a lunch for work the next day. I usually hit the local dollar store for some cheap "tupperware" a cutting board and a knife that I won't feel bad about tossing at the end of the trip....that allows me to make salads from my room. If I get really lazy, I buy salads from Panera or Applebees to go and then doctor them up in my hotel room with more green stuff and additional toppings that make me smile. (Panera salads are okay on their own once in a while but as a general rule I feel that they are overpriced and not nearly green enough to constitute a good standalone meal.)

I do eat dinner out most nights, but I try not to worry too much about what I'm eating at dinner....especially if I've had a salad for breakfast and lunch. I still stick to basics, grilled meat with veggies...I've learned that while salad usually sounds good for dinner too that I need more substance in at least one of my meals, so I try to keep the salad based meals to only two a day.

When I'm not traveling alone, I still so most of this, but on a more limited scale. It's not practical to pack my lunch when the team is planning to go out for lunch, but I can still arrange a "breakfast salad" for myself that I know is healthy and do the best I can at lunch and dinner with my coworkers.

Happy trails!
  • feather314
    feather314 Posts: 97
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here. Really it's just being concious of your choices. For breakfast opt for oatmeal or fruit. You can always subsitute egg beaters or egg whites in an omelet.

Salads or sandwiches are always an option for lunch. Things like grilled chicken, small steaks, etc for dinner.

Definitely check to see if the hotel has a fitness room or pool. If so, make use of them.

You could also bring a small bag of healthy snacks (non perishable of course) to keep in your room - nuts, bars, etc.

Hang in there, you can do it.