What is your favorite treadmill workout?

Options
Do you jog/run? Use the incline? Vary your speeds/incline? I'm getting back on the treadmill and find myself wanting to burn more calories so I'm using the incline. However, I would love to get into jogging/running, but know I have to work up to it but I don't have the energy in the morning. What works best for you?

Replies

• SportyChick07
    SportyChick07 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I usually walk/jog.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I do the C25k Program on a 2.0 incline to simulate outdoor running..

try it!:) Google C25k
  • jamie54720
    jamie54720 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i want to be able to jog, maybe one day run, so i do a 2 min walk warm up, then 1 min jog, 1 min walk reps.
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    HIIT will do it. High Intensity Inerval Training. Sprint as fast as you can for as long as you can. 30-90 seconds. Then drop back down for a couple minutes while you recover, and rinse and repeat........repeat......repeat...... for as long as you want to do your work out for. Enjoy~
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    HIIT will do it. High Intensity Inerval Training. Sprint as fast as you can for as long as you can. 30-90 seconds. Then drop back down for a couple minutes while you recover, and rinse and repeat........repeat......repeat...... for as long as you want to do your work out for. Enjoy~

10 mins is all you need...HIIT will kick your butt. I do 30-40 second intervals at speed, with "rest" periods of 1:30secs. The difference for me is 6mph jog....10.5 mph speed...(everyone is different). If you get to the end of 10 minutes and can easily hold the 30 secs, increase your recovery speed, and the sprint speed.....
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I really despise the treadmill. It's soooo boring to me. If I do get on the treadmill, it's on a high incline at a moderate pace.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Picking it up and carrying it as far as i can
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K program. I am now working on my speed so I walk for 1 min and run for 4 for 30 minutes total. Each time the running interval comes up, I increase my speed from what it was the last time. Burns a lot of calories and still allows you to catch your breath.
  • red1123
    red1123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My trainer gave me this one - walk at the highest incline for 2 minutes (at my gym that's 15%) then run fast for two minutes (I usually go about 5.5 mph) walk for one minute at at 2% incline, then start over.

I also dread steady running on the treadmill as I find it incredibly boring. This keeps my mind more engaged and I enjoy it much more.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Walk on the incline of 15. I tried running on the treadmill but it messed up my knees.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I hate the treadmill there aren't any up and down hills, if you can try to go outside and explore where you live, mark a spot to start and end for like .5 or 1 mile(I used my car) if you please. But if I have to go on a treadmill I incline it a bit at about 1% so its like running outside! That and I do intervals, but I'm more of a distance runner so I'm a little slower than most people like 6mph on a good day. Also I do my running at night like 60 minutes before dark cause its nice and cool outside. And there is something awesome about running outside.
  • amyliz0226
    amyliz0226 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info guys! Definitely some great ideas Im going to try!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at the gym have a custom setting for random incline intervals. I usually go 3.0-3.5mph on level 2-3. That means I get a few minutes of low intervals, .6 or so, then it starts alternating the incline--1 minute of flat, then one minute of incline of .6%-2.2%. I spent probably a month or 6 weeks doing these for 60 minutes, then a 5 minute cool down. I easily burnt 400 calories per workout.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've always meant to try these random programs but then always think it will be too hard! I usually end up doing a sort of triangle - upping the incline every 30 seconds until I cannot do anymore then coming back down and repeating. I also like to do 1 min run, 2 mins walk, but some gym treadmills are a nightmare to change the speed on....
  • kristina0206
    Options
    I love walking on the treadmill! Every cardio machine has its own TV, so if Friends reruns are on, I could stay on the treadmill for two hours! I usually walk at a really high incline (usually between 9 and 11) for about 30 mins. It gets my heartrate up, but I don't know how effective it actually is, so if anyone wants to provide feedback, I'd appreciate it.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like to do intervals on the treadmill with a slight incline (.5-1.0). I prefer intervals on the treadmill because it makes it harder to slow down when you start to feel fatigued. Outside, I find myself running the sprints slower and slower. The treadmill prevents that.
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I normally run on incline 2.5, speed 10. If i walk, i put the incline right up to 15 on speed 5.5.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been a workout that consists of alternating 4.5mph for 2 mins then 6mph for 2 mins, all at 3% incline, until I hit 3 miles. Then I will do another mile at 7% incline at 4.2mph.

I also do this one every now and then and it kicks my @ss (found it here on the boards):

2 min: Brisk walk (3-3.5 mph)       0-2
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5 mph)      2-3
    1 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)         3-4
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5 mph).     4-5
    1 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph).          5-6
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)                    6-7
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5 mph).      7-8
    2 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)        8-10
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5 mph).      10-11
    2 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)         11-13
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)                   13-14
    1 min: Brisk walk/ cool down              14-15

3 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)        15-18
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5)                18-19
    3 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)        19-22
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)                   22-23
    3 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)       23-26
    2 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mpg)        26-28
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)                  28-29
    1 min: Brisk walk / cool down            29-30

3 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)       30-33
    3 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)        33-36
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0)                            36-37
    2 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)        37-39
    3 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)        39-42
    2 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)                42-44
    1 min: Brisk walk / cool down           44-45
  • arizonagog
    arizonagog Posts: 22
    Options
    My treadmil workout starts out walking for about 5 minutes, then I jog for about five minutes, and I up the speed by 5 mph every 5 minutes. I continue to do this for 30 minutes and by the end I'm sprinting. Then do a 5 minute cool down. Sometimes I'll keep going longer if I have the energy. Also, I use a slight incline to burn more (:
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like to run outside, not on the treadmill. My treadmill workout is walking on an incline. I've worked up to 15% (highest at my gym) at a slow pace (3.2 mph) for 45 minutes. I concentrate more on my heart rate, so I adjust accordingly.